Husky 268xp with 182 PSI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
180psi is possible. Also Gauges vary sort of a plus or minus 10psi type of thing. My gauge shows a little over 170psi for my 268 with no base gasket & a little grinding on the holes inside. I would have guess 150 for mine but I think my gauge reeds a little high. I use it more as a "relative" measurement than an absolute measurement. (Relative to start points on a job, or other saws using the same gauge) I do know on my gauge if its less than 80..it doesn't run! If its more than 120 it runs well enough to cut. Actually anywhere under 110 means the saw is a project.

I didn't know you could run them w/o a base gasket. You don't have leaks? Do you get more compression by doing that? Do you think it would be beneficial to do that to mine?

It only is good if it is high for the right reasons, and he should make sure that is the case, and nothing else! :msp_smile:

Niko, how would he go about making sure that the compression reading is high "for the right reasons?" It seems that excessive carbon has been eliminated; what else should he test and how?

Niko, how would he go about making sure that the compression reading is high "for the right reasons?" It seems that excessive carbon has been eliminated; what else should he test and how?

I didn't catch that. ;)

Then there is lack of lube, if it has been sitting for a while, and isn't run before measuring compression.

Last edited:
I didn't know you could run them w/o a base gasket.

Yep, But only if you want more compression, and it looks as though you have plenty already.:)

You don't have leaks?

A little Moto-seal fixes that...

Do you get more compression by doing that?

Yep, you sure do, but you gotta check the squish, you don't want less than 18 thousandths... SQUISH LINK

Do you think it would be beneficial to do that to mine?

No! Unless you want to run race fuel LOL...

I have a 266xp with 185psi comp, no carbon buildup, its just a happy saw...:msp_tongue:

Yep, But only if you want more compression, and it looks as though you have plenty already.:)

A little Moto-seal fixes that...

Yep, you sure do, but you gotta check the squish, you don't want less than 18 thousandths... SQUISH LINK

No! Unless you want to run race fuel LOL...

I have a 266xp with 185psi comp, no carbon buildup, its just a happy saw...:msp_tongue:

Great info....Thanks!

I had an old Homelite blow 200 on one gauge, and 205 on another, over and over again.

180psi is healthy.

Latest posts

Back