Husky 272XP chain brake won't reset

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdmsurfguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a new to me Husky 272XP that I bought from a co-worker. It didn't come with a working chain brake so I bought one off of flea bay. After getting it in the mail and installing it I found out that I can't reset the chain brake once it's been clicked on. Here's a video if my explination doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure what to do, it doesn't look like the saw handlebar is bent. It appear like the actual chain brake mechanism might be assesmbled wrong or it's the wrong one for my model.

This is my first time posting anything here so I apoligize if I'm writing this in the wrong forum or this is dumb question. This is actually the first chainsaw I've ever owned. It cuts great as long as you don't engaged the brake. Thanks

Ron

Welcome to AS Ron!
There were couple of chainbrake variations for you 272xp.
Need to know serial number of your saw which is located above bar oil filler- like this
0206121909 (Mobile).jpg

and part number from inside brake cover (circled - OEM should start off 503 70):

100_0259 (zzz).JPG

I bet I no your problem right away ... Can u remove the chain brake and ingague it and disingauge it ? . the reason why the saw didn't have a chain brake was .. Once u put that full wrap it was to close to the chain brake to disengage it . just like the 660s .

If he's running a full wrap need handle with more forward lead to clear wrap on reset.
Handle oem pn is 503 76 08-02. Baileys used to stock these.

If you got right handle, wrap could be bent or more likely the finger spring is cracked or bent up

edit: also need spacer. they should have them too.

nice choice for first saw. it's older , but a good cutter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412653047.020356.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412653062.785807.jpg

Hopefully this helps a little, thanks for all the responses. The wrap doesn't appear to be bent but I'm not sure if I would tell as it is. The brake should be new (which doesn't mean it's broken).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412653089.635833.jpg.

I remember reading on here that some of the chinese cover/ brakes were factory misassembled and had to be corrected to work.

The guys saying that the full wrap handlebar takes a different cover are probably right.

That brake is way to close to that handle bar . that brake u bought for that saw is for a saw with a half warp

Yup, wrap. Good call Stihl for Life. youtube don't work for me
The housing 503 70 46 is correct.
Just a brake handle change out. Give bailey's a call http://www.baileysonline.com and let us know what they say. The brake handle (pn 503 76 08-02) for full (west coast) wrap will work with other wraps. But not other way around.

Thanks for the pics.

Thanks everyone. That helps a ton. Now I need to figure out why the bar oil leaks. I might just take it back to the guy I bought it from and ask him to check it out. Unless this model has a known issue?

So I looked up that part on baileys and it didn't give the 272 model number. Is that still ok?

Perfect. Thanks Ifnh. Also, I didn't research this saw much prior to buying I just took my buddies work that this is a good saw that should run for a while. What are your thought on the 272xp? Thanks again

Reliable. Plenty of new/used oem parts around.
Lot of members knowledable here on those 200 series saws a-z and then some.
Hot weather, long heavy cuts, 32 to 40:1 mix is a safe move, ime. same for other 2 series.
I'd hang onto it.

The oil weep you speak of could be coming from vent hole between bar studs.
Sometimes simple as vent hose getting loose. easily fix. There are fix threads on this.
Post if you run into something different.

If he's running a full wrap need handle with more forward lead to clear wrap on reset.
Handle oem pn is 503 76 08-02. Baileys used to stock these.

If you got right handle, wrap could be bent or more likely the finger spring is cracked or bent up

edit: also need spacer. they should have them too.

nice choice for first saw. it's older , but a good cutter.

Spacer?

The spacer makes sense since I think it was rubbing on the inside of the brake bracket. I'll call bailey this morning. When I was taking apart the saw yesterday the weep hole in between the bar was the one leaking. I could watch it slowly come out. I'll do some search in the forum.

I'm having troubles finding the spacer part number. I'm on hold with Bailey's now

Anyone know the part number for the spacer I need. I can't find anything on baileys

Latest posts

Back