Husky 288XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourwould

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A 288xp popped up for sale near me and I'm thinking about jumping on it. I've been running an 041av, and the 288 seems like a lot more power for only a bit more weight. Seller is asking $400 with a 32" bar, nice price or crack pipe?

I would also plan to sell off the 041. It's a fairly clean example. I'd appreciate feedback on what's a fair price for an 041.

Thanks y'all.

00f0f_3QTg7ZK0wOn_600x450.jpg

If it's in good shape and a good runner I'd pick it up. That's a fair price if it's decent.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A 288xp popped up for sale near me and I'm thinking about jumping on it. I've been running an 041av, and the 288 seems like a lot more power for only a bit more weight. Seller is asking $400 with a 32" bar, nice price or crack pipe?

I would also plan to sell off the 041. It's a fairly clean example. I'd appreciate feedback on what's a fair price for an 041.

Thanks y'all.

View attachment 647472
Friend Sean has 3 288's all in much better shape than that shown. House burned down in that 'Bomb Cyclone" but he saved most of his saws. I'll ask him if he wants to sell a 288. I'm sure he could use the $

Opinions on this old 041? I bought it as a non runner recently, replaced all the gaskets in the intake stack and rebuilt the carb. It's a strong runner and, in my opinion, pretty for its age. Original 20" bar and I have an 18 as well. I'm guessing it's a late model, having a chain brake.

I may be giving 288 guy a call, I've got tomorrow off work and was offered a 5' oak by the homeowner at our jobsite.
IMG_20180415_115614.jpg

Opinions on this old 041? I bought it as a non runner recently, replaced all the gaskets in the intake stack and rebuilt the carb. It's a strong runner and, in my opinion, pretty for its age. Original 20" bar and I have an 18 as well. I'm guessing it's a late model, having a chain brake.

I may be giving 288 guy a call, I've got tomorrow off work and was offered a 5' oak by the homeowner at our jobsite.
View attachment 647514
I'm a Husky guy, but would keep that 041, it sure is a nice one.
There's no law against having 1,2,3,4,5,6 or however many chainsaws you want.

288 is a older model but if all oem and note messed with I would think 400.00 a max...bar condition should be considered....will cut circles round the 41 and prob have the same fuel consumption easy saw to work on....if it checks out and ya want a bigger saw id try starting at 300. keep the 41 only really worth what a bar ad chain for the 288 will cost ya.

good luck

That 288 looks pretty damn good to me, except for the obvious surface rust on the bar. He probably swapped out that one for a better one to keep. Also keep in mind a 32” bar and chain will set you back $100.

I think $400 is fair if everything works and it runs good... I wouldn’t sell mine for double that.

332DF451-3C11-4A30-93E5-14B65035EEA4.jpeg 4AEA24BF-EFE4-42C8-923C-3587C52DFEAD.jpeg

To me that 288 is a $250 tops. I know they are great saws but i just dont get into that top doller buying game. That saw is probably pretty old and could likely use some tlc on something. Could likely use a new bar and maybe a chain. So me being cheap id offer 200 and go no more then 300 if its all oem and no visible repairs needed.

To me that 288 is a $250 tops. I know they are great saws but i just dont get into that top doller buying game. That saw is probably pretty old and could likely use some tlc on something. Could likely use a new bar and maybe a chain. So me being cheap id offer 200 and go no more then 300 if its all oem and no visible repairs needed.
It just depends on how bad and how quickly someone wants to get into the 288 game. That's the third 288 I've seen locally in the last few weeks around that price range, and the other two are gone now. No way would I even consider it without pulling the muffler for a look and the top cover to see if it's still original. I agree, $400 IS a lot of dough, but it might could be bought cheaper.
I found my 281 discarded under an old shed, for $25. I spent a lot bringing it back to life but wouldn't take 3 X what I have in it since it's done. It pulls a chain like nothing else I've ever used plus it has that 288 idle everyone talks about. It's the one that will be pried from my cold dead hands, no wait, that's supposed to be used to describe a gun.;)

They may be worth that i just wont pay that. Also would have a hard time pricing a old saw that high to sell if it was mine.

just to give you an Idea how much those 288's are valued i just traded the one i had all that ran like a Swiss watch to a guy back east for a Jonsered 2083, the original 83 cc one, out here on the west coast in good running order they go for anywhere between $300-$400 depending on condition. I actually have a line on a second one that needs a rebuild that i am going to try and get my hands on to replace the one i just traded off. But like others have said its all about the area, condition, and how bad a guy really wants the saw, and really that goes for just about any saw!!!

I figure you are all pretty much right on value. I just have a hard time saying they are still worth that much after all these years. That saw is probanly from the early 90s right? Something 15-20 years old couldnt have half its retail value left in it is my mindset of it. Great saws yes desirable saws yes durable yes but im just cheap.

I paid $400 for mine with a 24” bar and chain, maybe a little better condition, and was stoked. Not tryin to be a ****, but advice on what something is worth from guys who are cheap is not a good idea. Id tell somebody to piss off if they offered me $250 for mine. They have a following for a reason. They are powerful, reliable, easy to work on and damn near all the parts are still available ( a guy can do good quality bearings and oem seals for around $25). I would not consider age of this saw to be an issue, but as said above, it would have to be a solid runner for that price, and id wanna be able to give it a good looking over.

Back