Husky 2xx crankcase ID.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up what is supposed to be a 268xp. The case # doesn’t come up anywhere so far. It is not a newer 501 77 99-01. (Which is what the aftermarket cases are based on.) The OE Husqvarna # on the case is 510 65 91-v1. I can’t find any info.
the C&P check out as 268xp as do most other parts. The clutch is a mystery sporting a slightly larger press fit needle bearing Than others. Not a big deal as the cases for 266 and 268 as well as 272s all work. I just can’t find this # in any of the Barrett’s list ipls.
suggestions?

Is it a single coil, or dual coil chassis? If it's single that rules out any possibility of a 266. If it's dual, the earliest 268 IPL does show them as having a dual coil ignition, but I don't know how many of those saws actually were built as the service bulletin when the 268 was introduced doesn't reflect them ever having it.
Unfortunately the crankcase is normally only listed under as a complete, so the numbers off of the case halves themselves seldom are of much help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230815_120042_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230815_120042_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 0
Is it a single coil, or dual coil chassis? If it's single that rules out any possibility of a 266. If it's dual, the earliest 268 IPL does show them as having a dual coil ignition, but I don't know how many of those saws actually were built as the service bulletin when the 268 was introduced doesn't reflect them ever having it.
Unfortunately the crankcase is normally only listed under as a complete, so the numbers off of the case halves themselves seldom are of much help.
Single so has to be at least a later model case.
another clue that this may be a frankinsaw is the riveted plate with SN and other info is gone. It is, however, definitely an OE case…just don’t know which. It doesn’t really matter as the cases are pretty much interchangeable with these saws. I’m more curious than anything :p

I picked up what is supposed to be a 268xp. The case # doesn’t come up anywhere so far. It is not a newer 501 77 99-01. (Which is what the aftermarket cases are based on.) The OE Husqvarna # on the case is 510 65 91-v1. I can’t find any info.
the C&P check out as 268xp as do most other parts. The clutch is a mystery sporting a slightly larger press fit needle bearing Than others. Not a big deal as the cases for 266 and 268 as well as 272s all work. I just can’t find this # in any of the Barrett’s list ipls.
suggestions?
ebay lists it as a 272 case
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275903144839

So.......It would appear you have the ultimate internal Franken saw. Your cyl (50ZN 14 W2) is definitely a 268 XP cyl as it has the relief cut in the flywheel side transfer bulge to allow for the flywheel to clear the much larger transfer ports compared to the 266XP (50ZN 13 W2) which does not have this. You also have the single ign flywheel side case half which is very likely a 268XP case half.....however you say it has the coarse thread clutch which brings us back in time to coming from an early 266, 61 or even an early Jonsered 630 or 670. It is possible the crank and PTO case side were replaced at some point with the older parts......hard to tell what went on and when as all these parts can work well together.......personally I'm not a fan of the coarse thread crank/clutch as the clutches are getting hard to come by without cracks showing in the nut face from being over tightened and the fine thread clutches came in at least two versions with the latest one being a much better clutch with more shoe face contacting the drum. Classic case of a good thing getting better as time goes on.....not everything is that way.

Could we see a pic of the clutch side crankshaft threads? That's the only thing that doesn't support this being a true 268xp case. The PTO side case is not from an earlier saw because an earlier saw would not have the casting extension and hole drilled to mount a 268/272 air filter box support.

Could we see a pic of the clutch side crankshaft threads? That's the only thing that doesn't support this being a true 268xp case. The PTO side case is not from an earlier saw because an earlier saw would not have the casting extension and hole drilled to mount a 268/272 air filter box support.
That's true.... good catch.....so it is a 268/272 case on both case halves. A pic of the clutch side threads on the crank and/or also a pic of the outside of the clutch would help clear things up.

Back