Husky 340 first use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thanks to all for steering me away from the 142...not to say it won't cut a tree but the 340 is more of what I was looking for. When I was shopping around, it was easy to justify the 350 then maybe a 353, or maybe a 359 or 346xp...a few more $$$ here and a few more cc's there, very easy to spend twice as much as you planned...not that anything is wrong with that :) .

So I stuck with my original budget to allow for a larger saw later and still have a capable lighter saw. The 16" bar is a perfect match for the saw, an 18 would probably be a better balance but the 16 is pretty much spot-on.

After owning a few Stihl non-saws I came to really like the smooth engines and was definatey considering a saw to compliment the lineup. I was after the 350 but the 340 came around at a price I couldn't resist, so I was hoping the .5 less HP wouldn't disappoint me.

I wish I could have laid into a 12 or 14" oak or the likes to see it's handicap but had an 8" maple and similiar size oak to fell so I couldn't really give any hard-core test result. After all the prep, I gave it 3 pushes on the primer after it filled with fuel and it fired on the 3rd pull, idled perfectly. Carb is pretty much set right out of the box, gave slight rich burble at WOT and revved much quicker than I expected...new saw right :) .

Everyone rants about the AV of these saws and I was amazed on how well it works...basically non-existant. Like I said, these weren't large trees by no means but the 340 burned right through them like butter. I was after the 350 for the extra power but I was impressed with the 340..much more than I expected. What surprised me the most is how quick it re-started...on the first compression it fired right up, started it about 5 times during the day and on the first pop she started.

When I get into some larger wood I'll update but so far im very impressed, thanks again.

Most of us fail miserably at sticking to a saw budget. You'll have plenty of time for that.

The 340 is a nice little saw. The 16" bar is the biggest you will want, it won't like an 18" much at all. Keep the chain sharp and let the saw do the work, don't force it, and you will do fine. In that big oak, you will have to hold the bar up a bit or it will bog. Keep the chain speed up and you will do fine. 16-18" oak is really 60cc saw territory, but that's for next time.

Mark

Congrats

We have a Saw Snob In Training... :clap: gmcman may be able to resist the CSD, but after thirty-something posts, I believe it's too late.

It starts with a good little saw... and I dunno if any of us can tell where it leads.

I'll bet within the next 35 posts, he has the cat muffler gutted and some non-safety chain on there :cheers:

Last edited:
I'd stay with the 95VP/H30 (narrow kerf .325) on the 340, I don't believe anything else will be faster on that saw.

Back