husky 346 should i use oem unlimited coil or aftermarket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grapple Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey have a 346 on its way to me. wondering from those of you that have put unlimited coils of them. should i use oem or aftermarket??? and if anyone has a part number that would be great to.

the saw is a 2005 model.

thanks all.

and yes i did search and found a part number for the oem but wasnt' sure if it was for the oe or ne.

hey have a 346 on its way to me. wondering from those of you that have put unlimited coils of them. should i use oem or aftermarket??? and if anyone has a part number that would be great to.

the saw is a 2005 model.

thanks all.

and yes i did search and found a part number for the oem but wasnt' sure if it was for the oe or ne.

Go to the husky dealer and have them pull a used unlimited coil from a 350. That way it is oem for half price.:)

now that is a good idea. thanks

anyone with aftermarket coil experience with these. i have aftermarket on my 372 and its been fine, just curious.

Here is the part # for the OEM unlimited coil.

544 047 101.

I understand that the plug wire will need to be trimmed to install on the 346.

Price at my Husqvarna dealer is $81.00. I have one due in next week, so I will get a chance to find out.

Of course the 350 coil will fit, and there is a long list of models that use the same coil. I think that list is in one of BSnelling's posts on a 346.

yes i just saw that . and i just remembered i think i have a 350 coil in my shop. so thanks all. appreciate the info very much

the saw is a 2005 model.

thanks all.

A 2005 will be an OE one, I didn't know that they used a limited coil on those??? :confused:

I avoid those aftermarket coils.

You need to be careful when you're mixing/matching recent Husqvarna coils. While it's true that the configuration of the modern Husky coils allows several models to "interchange", this doesn't mean that it's desirable. Some of the coils, especially on the smaller saws, have proprietary timing circuits in them that are engineered to be most efficient with a certain flywheel.

When you get into using different modern Husky coils with different flywheels you get into making timing changes without knowing it.

I avoid those aftermarket coils.

You need to be careful when you're mixing/matching recent Husqvarna coils. While it's true that the configuration of the modern Husky coils allows several models to "interchange", this doesn't mean that it's desirable. Some of the coils, especially on the smaller saws, have proprietary timing circuits in them that are engineered to be most efficient with a certain flywheel.

When you get into using different modern Husky coils with different flywheels you get into making timing changes without knowing it.

Does the 346XP NE fit the catagory of a smaller saw that has proprietary timing circuits?

It is a 2009 model.

I believe it is. I'll search my service bulletins when I get home. From what I remember the smaller saws have the timing circuit that retards timing at low RPM for easier starting and then advance timing at higher RPM for performance.

I believe it is. I'll search my service bulletins when I get home. From what I remember the smaller saws have the timing circuit that retards timing at low RPM for easier starting and then advance timing at higher RPM for performance.

Make sure the part numbers match?

I'll never figure out why anyone wants to waste money on a unlimeted coil when all it effects is tuning the saw which is easy enough to do with a limited coil. These saws run from 9000 to 9500 in the cut and the limited coil doesn't affect them one bit when cutting. Steve

Jacob, does this only pertain to the 346xp and smaller saws, or does it include the 357xp/359 series as well I have an unlimited oem coil off of a 365 saw that I was going to use on my 357xp ,and after reading your previous post you have given me second thoughts on using it. Would you be able to send me a copy of the service bulletin?

I'll never figure out why anyone wants to waste money on a unlimeted coil when all it effects is tuning the saw which is easy enough to do with a limited coil. These saws run from 9000 to 9500 in the cut and the limited coil doesn't affect them one bit when cutting. Steve

Its a must if you plan on modding your saw.

Latest posts

Back