Husky 346XP gray cover - YUK!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, now I know how to tighten my chain properly after all these years. Lol
This is the method I learned about 55 years ago when I had to use an old MacCullach ( spelled wrong) No roller tip bar, and the chain was forever getting tighter when I was cutting. I learned this method, and NEVER any problem since.

Very stupid 346's!
Has anyone noticed that the kill switch wire is always vibrating out and that the chain tightens by merely tightening the bar nuts?
In 14 years with a 346 have never had either problem? Have had the kill switch wire come lose on a 357 a couple times, easy fix though...

At a gtg once we had a guy demonstrate how to properly tension a chain. Simply turn the saw upside down on a flat surface with the bar nuts loose. Gravity drops the bar, tension chain and tighten bar nuts. Lol.

After the tensioner's set and assuming you've got the bar nuts at about 1/3~5/8 of a trun loose.
One hand holds the rear handle and the tend region/tip of the bar is resting on the wood
{You do have some wood handy doncha? }
Then while keeping this araingment, use your rt hand to place the scrench
on a bar nut, with the screwdriver tip pointing a bit upwards and towards the tip of the bar. Now snug the nut and repete on 2nd nut. Viola!
your bar's in the upward position and the nuts are tight.
just double check your chain tension afterwards.
Genraly, with a bit of practice, you'll find that the little chain getting a hair tighter after tightneing the nuts, gets a lot less of a problem.
but kepping the nuts snug-- Not tight-- while you set the tensioner it a big key to reducing that little agrivation of the tension shifting.
And remember, the tensioner is NOT a bar holder, the nuts do that job.

Back