Husky 346XPG leaking oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find the source and fix it? Just my opinion.

A few drops, a good puddle or the whole tank?
A little 'dripping' is normal on 75%+ of most saws..

If it's a lot..under warranty back to dealer..!!

(if you have a good dealer)..Back to the dealer..!!

If dealer is not so good..find another dealer or a good chain shop (small engine) repair shop..!!

If' it's leaking big-time..GET IT FIXED..!!..something like a broken hose can be fixed cheaply..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Find the source and fix it? Just my opinion.

Yeah, well that is the general idea and the reason I ask for advice what could be the cause.....

Yep, it's a good puddle to be found when it have been standing for a couple of days.
Since it's leaking when not in use, I would suspect that the leak is before the oil pump?
Or could the leak be after the pump anyway?

Found a good clip on this:

Husqvarna chain oil leak repair 346 - YouTube

But I guess this is about leakage after the pump?

Yeah, well that is the general idea and the reason I ask for advice what could be the cause.....

Yep, it's a good puddle to be found when it have been standing for a couple of days.
Since it's leaking when not in use, I would suspect that the leak is before the oil pump?

Well..there is the "Free Fix"..which just means lean the saw at a 45° toward the recoil starter side..

Then there is the "Ultimate Free Fix" which just means draining the oil tank before storage..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I gave up on the oil leak on my 346XP. I just put a rag under it and place on a piece of cardboard.:bang:

Great saw other than the oil leak.:msp_thumbup:

I was just busting your chops ;)

You can replace the oil hoses if you like. Heat may play an issue also. Pressurizing the tank and forcing it out. There is a breather for the tank but heat thins oil and created pressure at the same time, the vent may not allow enough release.

Any owners manual that I've ever read says not to store the saw with oil in the tank anyway.... So they do warn ya lol no matter the make or model.

I was just busting your chops ;)

You can replace the oil hoses if you like. Heat may play an issue also. Pressurizing the tank and forcing it out. There is a breather for the tank but heat thins oil and created pressure at the same time, the vent may not allow enough release.

Any owners manual that I've ever read says not to store the saw with oil in the tank anyway.... So they do warn ya lol no matter the make or model.

Thanks TK. :laugh:
Well, I think I'll give it a shot and try to fix the leak before wasting my supply of rags. The oil leakage has increased a lot lately so it must be a way to fix it.
As I see it there's really no other place where the leak could be other than where the rubber hose is connected to the oil pump. Pic below:
View attachment 248824
attachment.php

Would it be a good idea to add some liquid sealant between the oil pump and the robber hoses?

If the surface of the oil pump appears pitted in anyway it may be an issue with the pump itself. Can you see exactly where it's coming from? Before you go replacing stuff, get it as clean as possible and let it sit. If you just start replacing parts, you might as well replace the whole oiler system while it's apart and save yourself the hassle of doing it over and over again.

Great improvement!

I took my 346XP apart this WE and gave it a really good cleaing. And man, it was about time. Dirt, old saw dust and oil everywhere.
Did a really thorough cleaning of the oil pump and the rubber hosings, and also put some silicone sealant between the pump and the rubber hose. Let it cured over the night, started it up and run it for couple of minutes, then waited for a couple of hours to see the expected puddle. But it was just a few drops as it should be. :msp_thumbsup:
I guess replacing the rubber hose would be the right thing to do, but a good cleaning and adding some sealant did the trick also! :msp_smile:
Thanks for all the good advice here.

Back