Husky 35 bar oil in the cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonker81

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
No I didn't mix up fluids when refilling tanks. It was a warm summer day and i had just adjusted the carb and cut an entire tanks worth. After I fueled/oiled up I couldn't get it started and it felt a little hard to pull. I had noticed some residue in and around the exhaust before use and melted plastic in the same area. Thinking a had another cooked piston I set it aside and kept working. It's been in the shed for a few months and I finally got into it. The cylinder is two piece and when I took it apart the cylinder was full of bar oil. I'm not terribly familiar with this saw but bar oil does travel in two of the four cavities for the the cylinder bolts. I'm getting nightmares of a cracked cylinder or housing. Has anyone ran into this before? I didn't explain it well but I believe any one worth his salt would take one look at how things work in this little saw and be as concerned as I. Also, the IPL doesn't show a gasket between the two halves and it appeared as if a thin gasket goo had been used. Is this proper? What is it?

Your on the right track!
This is only my novice two cents!
Check mpression, or even better, check the vacuum.
This will a key indicator of that! (bar oil in cylinder)
I am assuming the 35 is a two piece like my problem child 335xpt's
And also you are right as to the seal! you have a automotive TYPE gasket sealer and crank bearings as a seal.

PS double check my opinions(options)! This is only a novice, un-educated start!

It is a 2 piece!
I looked on the ipl

I don't know how to cut and paste from a pdf?
A quick explanation would make this easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
So i stripped it all down, cleaned it up and and made some minor gasket repairs. I gave the saw a run yesterday and the little thing is running like a charm. Carb is giving me some issues but I think it could use a rebuild anyway. Hopefully this is over.

PS if anyone else has one of these and tears it down be very careful of the connecting rod "bearings". They are individual solid steel cylinders, 11 or 12 i think. I know how many because when the connecting rod shifts a little all the little bearings fall out. It took about an hour and some grease but I was able to get in back together.

Latest posts

Back