Husky 350 vs. Stihl 250, do I even start this thread?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt2003

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Damn, I almost hate to start this thread but I gotta ask before I make the purchase. As you all know, my Poulan wildthing is in for repairs so I'm contemplating a new saw. I've got a Stihl dealer less than 1/2 mile down the road and a Husqvarna dealer about 10 miles down the road. Both saws seem to be priced about the same so which is perceived as the better saw? It looks like the Husky has a little more engine power, 6.6 cc larger engine, and more bar options. The Stihl weighs 1/2 pound less. For ocassional use, around the house, clearing atv trails etc. which is the better saw? I know I'm going to get a lot of "loyalist" comments but let me know what you think. Thanks, Greg

If you go with the Husky

I was just at Lowe's and they had the 350 for $248! Is there more than one model 350 out there? It didn't appear so but as usual no person was around to ask questions about it.

Maybe I should ask, what should I be comparing? Engine power, cc's, displacement, what?

No loyalist comments here.

Buy the Husky 350... Seems to have a little more power behind it than my 025 (MS250). Lots of options for bars and chains... basically same price, same weight as the MS250. I think it even has better vibration dampening. Don't get me wrong, I like my 025, but the Husky outruns it.

On the flip side (and off topic), if I could do it over again, I would buy the MS361 instead of the 357XP.

To each his own.

No loyalist comments here.

Buy the Husky 350... Seems to have a little more power behind it than my 025 (MS250). Lots of options for bars and chains... basically same price, same weight as the MS250. I think it even has better vibration dampening. Don't get me wrong, I like my 025, but the Husky outruns it.

On the flip side (and off topic), if I could do it over again, I would buy the MS361 instead of the 357XP.

To each his own.

I totally agree, get the Husky 350!

It is simply a much nicer saw than the MS250 - better anti-vibe, better air filter system, better ergonomics, not the same overwhelming "platicky" feel to it.....

I just clicked on the Baileys link and the 350 is $309 plus 25 bucks shipping and handling. Any other ideas where I might find it for the same or a lesser price? Thanks, Greg

I just clicked on the Baileys link and the 350 is $309 plus 25 bucks shipping and handling. Any other ideas where I might find it for the same or a lesser price? Thanks, Greg

You can probably get it from Amick's too. I think the 350 is a great saw for the money. I have been cutting with a buddy with an MS250, and we both agree that the HU outcuts his Stihl. I tried to get him a thin-kerf bar for xmas, and because of the weird bar mount on the MS250, I couldn't get a bar which would run the nk .325 chains. And they wanted too much, I thought, for the Stihl bar and 3/8 picco nk.

Go to your local dealer and save the shipping cost. Stay away from Lowes. If your dealer is any good, he will take care of you if you have any problems. The saws I have priced in the past couple of years were cheaper to buy from my dealer than to pay shipping from a cataloge store.

Jeff

http://www.husqvarna-chainsaw.com

right now if you order online they ship you a free chain, safety glasses and bottle of 2 cycle oil, and the best part is its free shipping (you pay like a $3 insurance for shipping I believe) so total it will be less then $305 shipped to your house, I am planning on getting a saw from there, trying to decide between the 345 and the 350.

Damn, I almost hate to start this thread but I gotta ask before I make the purchase. As you all know, my Poulan wildthing is in for repairs so I'm contemplating a new saw. I've got a Stihl dealer less than 1/2 mile down the road and a Husqvarna dealer about 10 miles down the road. Both saws seem to be priced about the same so which is perceived as the better saw? It looks like the Husky has a little more engine power, 6.6 cc larger engine, and more bar options. The Stihl weighs 1/2 pound less. For ocassional use, around the house, clearing atv trails etc. which is the better saw? I know I'm going to get a lot of "loyalist" comments but let me know what you think. Thanks, Greg

They're both good saws, you will be happy with either.

But if you don't have any special brand loyalty and your Husky dealer is a good one, then by all means get the 350. It looks good on paper, and you'll find many owners here telling you it's a great saw. There has to be some kind of truth to it then...

Thanks! I really thought I would have started more of a fight, lol. But, looks like the consensus is that, for the money, the Husky 350 is a better saw. It kind of speaks for itself when some with "stihl" in their user names give the thumbs up to the Husky. I'm sure its not the same in every saw but i appreciate the honesty in what I asked. I've got a birthday coming up in 2 months and have already dropped the hint to my 10 year old about the saw. Hopefully he'll pass it on to my wife whether she purchase it from a local dealer or on the internet. I really appreciate all the input and am still willing to read any other opinions. Thanks, Greg

Latest posts

Back