Husky 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottishmaximus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello arborists, I'm newbie to this site. I have been utilizing the search feature and the site is pretty neat. I found this site when searching for info on a new saw.

I am tired of a POS poulan that i have and am looking for a 16-18" saw that will be used about 30 times a year for small trees and brush. I have used a stihl O26 and liked it. I do lawncare and find that husky string trimmers are more comfortable to use and wasn't sure what husky saws are like.

I am particularly interested in the 350. It has the lowest vibration rating of husky saws and has smart start, adjustable oiler, and side chain tensioner. I have heard people talk about the 55 Rancher, but it doesn't have these and also has a much higher vibration rating. I think that the 350 is cheaper so why the 55? Also the 346XP is another saw I am considering. Besides a little power,what differentiates this saw from the 350?

Thanks for any help,

Scott

Scott, You may get more responses (both on and off the topic) over in the chainsaw forum. My understanding is that the 350 is considered more of a homeowner/semi pro saw. The 346 is a Pro model that performs beyond expected levels for its displacement. Both are good saws.

Welcome to Arboristsite Scott.
Husqvarna make great saws for ground based work, Stihl
are a bit sharper when it comes to climbing saws.
The 346xp and the 357xp (which I run at work) are both excellent
saws. The acceleration is one of the best I've tried.
The xp saws are for "professional" use. They will last longer
than the "homeowner" models and also have more aggresive
characteristics. They also come with some options,
E-tech, lower emissions
XPG, heated grips
TAC, third-action-chainbrake, extra safety

That being said, if you're gonna use it 30 times a year the best "homeowner" will serve you well and last long.
The 55 is a classic and the most powerful "homeowner" saw.
It actually has the "smart start", not that it matters on saws this
small.
"Smart start" is useful when trying to start the 372xp (or bigger saws) in freezing cold.
The 350 is a more modern saw from what I gather, the adjustable oiler is nice if you plan on cutting a lot of logs into firewood (you'll want more oil due to the intensity of your cutting).
The prices, at least here, are the same for the 55 and the 350.

The 350 will serve you well, but you might consider throwing in the extra $200 or so to buy a real saw, the 346xp.
Not too many hours of work before it is payed ?

Last edited:
You mention that you will cut small trees and shrubs.
Why would you put a 16-18" bar on your saw ?
With a 13" bar you can put down trees that are over 30" in diameter, that's big around here.
The 16-18" bar will be practical occasionally, but mostly it will be
in your way. Saws like 55, 350, 346xp will be badly
balanced with such a big bar.
The tip of the bar will hit the ground when you clear the stem from
branches. And the kickbacks will be worse.
When we clear small trees in suburban wood areas I will even
use a 11" bar on a 242xp.
Good luck.

Thanks hillbilly for the informative post. I am kicking around the idea of the 346xp. I can tell the difference between e-tech and non e-tech engines on my string trimmers.

As far as bar length goes, i know i don't really need a big bar. In the Husqvarna brochure, the smallest bars listed for their saws are 16", except for the arborist saws like the 335xpt. I wasn't sure if there is something preventing their other saws from running a smaller bar.

One reason for getting a 16 or 18" bar is for measuring logs for the fire place. I know, not a biggie and i should be able to eye them up.

I would like the saw to be around for a while, so i might spend the extra money. Anything will be better than the poulan wild vibration thing that i have.

If it will mainly be used for small stuff.

Scott
Have you thought about a Husqvarna 141 with a 16" bar?
It packs a big punch to be a small saw and can handle just about anything that you throw at it.
It is much easier to handle in trees and when trimmimg brush than a larger 346XP or 353.

The 55 Rancher is a saw that was designed back in the 70's and like the old VW bug. It has a cult following and has not changed much since it was introduced. They are good , but better can be gotten.

Hillbilly, I have read elsewhere of the Swedish preference for short as possible bars. There is no doubt that the short bars provide the ultimate in controllability coupled with minimum friction/maximum chain speed, but there are also benefits to longer bars.
The major advantage is a reduction in bending and stooping with a longer bar.
The balance of the saw is also affected by bar length . Both very short and very long bars interfere with good balance but most saws balance well with bars from 16" to 24 inches in length -most of them actually balancing best with a bar somewhere between 16 and 20 inches. This is admittedly a personal preference area.
Longer bars also permit felling cuts to be made without "walking the saw" on a greater variety of trees. This makes it easier to create an even and balanced hinge.(I realize that this can be done effectively with a short bar and that it probably is very easy for you as an experienced operator but most bginners find it easier with a bar that will reach all the way across the stump.)

I prefer a 16 inch bar on my smallest saws and 20" on all of my 50 cc class saws. On the 70cc class saws I prefer a 24inch bar.:cool:

20" on a 50cc, no doubt this is a matter of personal preference :)
Here everything up to and including the 362xp comes with a 13" bar as standard!
Obviously not so in the US.
Buy both a 13" and a 16 or 18" bar and see what you like best.
Your right Justin, many swedes are obsessed with the 13" bar.
"Walking the saw" is not easy because of my experience
(which is no more than a couple of years) it's just the way I was
taught to fell trees that were >13".

- 13" bar is enough for any tree in Sweden, govermental chainsaw instructor.

Anything less than a 36 inch bar on something like a 066 is making far more work for the operator than is customary...where I come from :D. If you're running a 24 inch bar around here you are using a "little" saw :rolleyes:. For the most part, I'm referring to on-the-ground usage, but not exclusively.

I have been told by a Stihl rep that the Pacific NW is the only place in the world where bars from 36 to 72 inches are sold except by extra special order. Is this true? I can't imagine regularly falling or bucking 24-30 inch wood with a 13 inch bar...seems like a needless hassle to me, coming from my background.

With a 13 inch bar what point is there in running any saw larger than 60ccs? The 50cc class will keep there rpms up and cut as fast as larger saws in wood up 12-14 inches in diameter (depending on the saw)--More for some saws-- especially modified saws.

Burnham. I agree with your analysis of 24" bars on an 066- You might as well run an 044 or a 372 and save the weight.

Hillbilly, I'm unusual even here in my preference for 20" bars on 50cc class saws. -Most prefer 16 and 18 inch bars on them I like the twenty because it saves bending and stooping. I have occasionally cut 20 inch wood with my 50cc class saws but I usually set them aside when the wood gets to the 12-14 inch diameter and pick up a bigger saw.:)

Thanks for the help. I ordered a 346xp. cost ~$450 with case. Can't wait to use it. The dealer said that he never sold one and at first didn't realize hat there was such a model. only about $100 more than the 350. It has a 16" bar and will buy a larger one if needed. Any recommendations on using this particular saw? I'll let you all know what i think of it. Thanks again.

Recommendations?
Other than putting on the 13" bar ? :p
346xp, great choice and seen from my side of the atlantic, great price.
Here we pay 7000 kr for the 346xp, equals $920 !
No special recommendations for this saw, just service it regularly
and keep your chain sharp. And use VegOil for bar oil, nicer to
the environment and will work all through the winter.

man that's a lot of money hillbilly. I will have to investigate the vegoil a little more. i already have a gallon of husky oil so i'll use that for now.

JP that is really interesting about them knowing you. And the price, wow, what a difference. I'm trying to develop a dealer/customer relationship for now, but i know i could have gotten it a little bit cheaper. Do most guys negotiate price on saws? In lawncare, I know guys negotiate prices on mowers and bigger purchases. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Burnham
I've been told by a Stihl rep that the Pacific NW is the only place in the world where bars from 36 to 72 inches are sold except by extra special order. Is this true? ...

My dealer hear in MS normally has up to 36" in stock.

Carl

Latest posts

Back