Husky 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad then....was that the link I posted? Wasn't trying to give the impression that calee was selling....but what to possibly buy...sorry
Farmington, huh. Lived in Southington for years before I moved to Texas. One of the Comers(Comers Nursery, if its still in business) is one of my best friends. Getting a 350 that won't start, at least that's what the owner says. Thought it would be fun to work on one. Don't really need it but I like to tinker. Have a 346 OE and a 357XP and I'm curious about the 350. What are thoughts on the Meteor 45MM P&C combo? Looks like a good combo, closed port and all. Anyone run one of these?

I've used the hyway 45mm closed port kit, I've used oem cyl w/ meteor flat top pistons, golf pistons, oem 44mm kit, 346xp AM lookalike kit... I have NOT used the full meteor kit. just haven't gotten to it yet. personally, I'm not sure if one is necessarily better than the other, though the oem open port P&C is likely not the best of the bunch.

just ran my AM 346xp lookalike from ebay last night... man that thing is strong. its the AM 346xp kit from ebay, and a meteor 44.3mm piston. I like it a lot. Ran it against one of my 455's... it was AS fast or better... considering its 44.3mm piston vs 47mm for the 455 ... I think it does great, especially for the weight.

I know old cat has his opinions, so i'll let him weigh in

Both the Meteor and Hyway, quad closed port big bore for 346 are LOW compression because the squish gap is close to .040" also the transfer ports are a joke. You can get more power from a 45mm 353/350 OEM cylinder. I've seen the "346" cylinder kit ad on ebay but I've never had my hands on it.

I cut the base adapter on the 346xp AM kit and on the hyway kit... not broken in the compression was above 160 with a squish around .020. gotta check on the hyway... though I may go back into the hyway kit and rework it...since I have a degree wheel now :)

the 346xp AM kit needed to be hogged out for sure... the exhaust and intake were quite puny... and port machting to the muffler was a good thing....

I cut the base adapter on the 346xp AM kit and on the hyway kit... not broken in the compression was above 160 with a squish around .020. gotta check on the hyway... though I may go back into the hyway kit and rework it...since I have a degree wheel now :)

the 346xp AM kit needed to be hogged out for sure... the exhaust and intake were quite puny... and port machting to the muffler was a good thing....
Take a look inside the transfer ports and compare with OEM 346 transfer ports. Also any time you have to lower the cylinder to get .020" squish gap you need to raise the ex and tr ports up again. With the oem 346 you get high performance right out of the box.

believe me, I get it... I do... i'll confirm w/ my degree wheel next time... the am cylinder is quite strong as I built it though... if I get eek out a bit more my raising the transfers and the exhaust that's great, but I was trying to see what was possible w/o a degree wheel.... one day i'll do a study w/ timed cuts and everything and see what happens :) as of right now though, the am kit seems fine after a little port work. I had the 18" B&C buried... it did fine.

ok, um, that's a pit pushier than usual. though I haven't seen the 346xp stock cyl, I have seen more 350 stuff than most... and I am learning as fast as I possibly can... so cut me a bit of slack

what I was referring to WRT "getting it" was that the port timings s/b adjusted if you lower the cylinder... though in my case, I'm happy w/ the result of the AM cyl w/o port timings messed with

ok, um, that's a pit pushier than usual. though I haven't seen the 346xp stock cyl, I have seen more 350 stuff than most... and I am learning as fast as I possibly can... so cut me a bit of slack

what I was referring to WRT "getting it" was that the port timings s/b adjusted if you lower the cylinder... though in my case, I'm happy w/ the result of the AM cyl w/o port timings messed with
Sorry about being "pushy" I am just so impressed with my ported 346 cylinder I could SCREAM!

I gotta take my hyway kit back apart and see what other gains I can make... so I'm workin on it. maybe one day i'll get a 346xp but I'm not ready to spend $250 on a P&C....

like I said, one day, i'll do a systematic study of the P&C combos... well...maybe that's a pipe dream... stay tuned but don't hold your breath :)

I gotta take my hyway kit back apart and see what other gains I can make... so I'm workin on it. maybe one day i'll get a 346xp but I'm not ready to spend $250 on a P&C....

like I said, one day, i'll do a systematic study of the P&C combos... well...maybe that's a pipe dream... stay tuned but don't hold your breath :)
I got my NE 346 p/c from spike60 for $200

there's one on ebay for $549

YIKES

to redunshee... for $200 for a 346xp NE kit ... its worth it vs a $175 meteor kit for sure... I'd spring for the extra if those were the options... though seems to me that'd be cheapest to pick up a regular 45mm used oem 350 cyl on ebay and add a meteor flat top piston for best bang for buck... because of the removable transfer port covers, its easiest to work on the ports on that cylinder.

comer's nursery is apparently no longer in business... google search reveals THIS post

I went to school in Texas... Longview actually... we swapped spots :)

Just as reference...checked a stock hyway kit tonight...45mm....got 145 compression after maybe a cord of wood cut this past summer....

My am 346xp lookalike is at 175 tonight. ...still not broken in.....only cut a couple cookies with it. ...squish at .020

Just as reference...checked a stock hyway kit tonight...45mm....got 145 compression after maybe a cord of wood cut this past summer....

My am 346xp lookalike is at 175 tonight. ...still not broken in.....only cut a couple cookies with it. ...squish at .020
I'm wondering if that's the same kit I have seen on ebay for under $100? Can you show a link?

Back