Husky 350xp (sort of) rebuild, and shameless plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskStihl

Chairin'em for the sound
Reaction score
So I picked up a straight gassed 350 for $100 hoping I could throw in a meteor and flip it in order to further fund my CAD. Didn't quite work out as planned, but had fun with the project. Big issue was that the cylinder was pretty scratched up. I got it "decent for home use" using the mastermind sanding technique, but not good enough to want to sell. Decided to put one of the weadeaterman 346xp closed port P&C kit on it.
image.jpg
Original piston
image.jpg
New guy. Had heard the weak point in aftermarket kits was the circlips
image.jpg
So I picked up some OEM 346xp clips for this project.
Threw the cylinder on (good casting BTW) and checked compression with the gasket in place. 140 psi, not what I wanted. Removed the gasket and checked squish gasketless
image.jpg
Rechecked the compression
image.jpg
Much more better for a 346xp wannabe!
Replaced the fuel and impulse lines, the filter and plug
image.jpg
Found a bar, sharpened a chain, fired her up, tach'd to 13.3 and went looking for some live oak......

yjaba7a3.jpg
I love mine it's usually the first one out of the truck.

Decent running little saws.
The original piston was quite dished. It was an intentional underachiever. I've never run one stock, but after I made this video I proceeded to dismantle the rest of this tree in pretty short order. If this is ballpark 346 performance I get that saws appeal now. With a muffler mod and a timing advance I'd bet it'd be super nice runnin'

Most people love them. I just like the big saws better.
I do have something of a disturbing fetish for big swedish magnesium, just happened across this on ebay one day and figured I'd give it a reprieve from being parted out. Little bugger is much stronger and much much more solid feeling than my 445. It'd prolly pull an 18" just fine, but balances great with that little 16"

ya i did a 2141 jonsered which is basically the same. used a a.m. piston and cylinder kit and ported and muffler modded it. that thing rips. i love it and most of the time i grab it first cause its so fun to run. that is until i get my 576xp ported and muffler modded. then i guess i'll have a problem deciding which to use more lol.

loco

seems to me jon has caught the bug. welcome to saw building jon. now we just need to get steven to build his own one day :D :givebeer: soon you'll be putting up signs saying "will take away junk saws" around the neighborhood :laugh:.

seems to me jon has caught the bug. welcome to saw building jon. now we just need to get steven to build his own one day :D :givebeer: soon you'll be putting up signs saying "will take away junk saws" around the neighborhood :laugh:.
Problem is the CAD is progressing. I was in the process of listing this saw on eBay last night. Then I was like "well maybe I'll just put it in the trading post, and if nobody wants it I'll keep it." Starting to see why this series has a following.
I already own 4 saws, and could easily get by with just one decent 70cc

350 cuts pretty good with the AM 346 top, but OEM will give ya a little more.

I have a 350 here I need to do something with. It's stock & dog slow. Need to 346 it! :D

On the rebuild did you use the rings in the kit or go with caber/oem or another?

Problem is the CAD is progressing. I was in the process of listing this saw on eBay last night. Then I was like "well maybe I'll just put it in the trading post, and if nobody wants it I'll keep it." Starting to see why this series has a following.
I already own 4 saws, and could easily get by with just one decent 70cc

you would be surprised how good a hopped up 70cc saw will cut the stuff you cut

did you use the bolts from the 350 to put the 346 top end on? im getting conflicting info about whether they are to long or not.

Back