Husky 353 Oiler Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaarneson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Husky 353 I bought used and I am having an issue with the chain getting enough oil. Even when I have the oil screw all the way open it is not getting enough oil and the chain seems to get too hot real quickly.

Also if I have any oil in the tank it seems to leak pretty good when I have it sit for even a few hours.

Any help would greatly appreciate it. I thought I would try posting before I take it in to get serviced, just in case it is an easy fix.

Thanks

Just subscribing to this thread because I have a 353 and interested to learn anything I can about it.

With other saws, lack of oil has been:

- clogged oil hole in the bar (clean out with a toothpick or compressed air);

- clogged oil hole at output hole/slot (clean out with a toothpick or compressed air);

- misaligned bar or wrong bar for the saw (your saw was bought used, do the holes line up?);

- clogged oil filter from someone running junk oil (replace the filter and clean out line if you can (I know how to do this on a STIHL, but not the 353);

- on one STIHL (MS 021) I had, the plastic gear behind the clutch overheated, so the wire that normally drives the oil pump turned with the clutch drum, but did not turn gear that drives the pump. Had to remove the clutch and replace this part ($20). But again, I am not sure if the same thing might be an issue with a Husky.

Let us know. We all want to learn.

Philbert

I believe it is the right size bar. I bought a new one for it online that said it was for this saw. Yes, I did a cleaning job on it.

Is it the correct bar for the saw? You mentioned buying it used. Oil hole in bar needs to line up with oil dispensing area of saw. You probably have cleaned bar oil hole and bar groove already of any obstruction, no?

For the record, I didn't copy REJ2 - he was just faster on the draw! Posted his while I was still checking my spelling and grammar.

Philbert

First thing I'd do is pull the bar & chain...start the saw and see if your even getting oil.

First thing I'd do is pull the bar & chain...start the saw and see if your even getting oil.

I did that and oil did start coming out quit nicely...I nice ooze. This is the bar that I have.

CTC 16 SJ50 16" TIMBER CHAMP BAR (.325 X .050) 6

I bought it from Bailey's

I did that and oil did start coming out quit nicely...I nice ooze. This is the bar that I have.

Yep, the catalogue description says that it will fit. Do the holes physically line up? If you got oil coming out, and the holes line up, you should get oil. I suppose that you could drill the oil holes in the bar larger. Not too much of a risk for a $6 closeout bar.

Mine came with a narrow kerf bar and chain, but that should not matter for oiling. Sharp chain, not tensioned too tight, right?

Philbert

Noticed something new. When I was taking the chain and bar off to test the oil leakage it was hard to take the cover off. I almost had to pry it off. I didn't think much of it until I tried to but the bar and chain back on.

This one will not fit around the below picture...
View attachment 183556

View attachment 183555

Which was never an issue before...I never had a problem getting the cover on....what could have happened?

Great, that way we can rule out the pump and pump drive gear.

As others have said check the hole in the bar. I think I just recently had to drill a second hole in a Timber Champ bar, it oils fine now.

Need to have chainbrake released when removing clutch cover, maybe?

:agree2: It does look like the brake is engaged.

183556d1305075106-dscf1938-jpg

You guys were right it was the brake...I went out there to try again and noticed the same thing.

So I then put everything back together and tried it out. I pointed the tip towards a piece of cardboard and I saw a mist of oil....So I guess it is fixed now. I am not completely sure what it was, but it is good now. Maybe a piece of debris caught up or in somewhere.

Thanks everyone for your help....really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back