Husky 353 or 346XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbjake

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Farm use, felling 18" or smaller diameter trees, also firewood cutting.

Trees are pine, some hedge, a few small oaks, those spikey locusts.

Want something that will last.

Lighter weight preferred.

Also interested in Dolmar 5100s but dealer support in area is not as strong.

Considered Stihl 260.

Your comments are welcomed.:dizzy:

353 or a 260. Depends on how bad you need dealer support. If you need the support, the 260 hands down. If you are more self sufficient on that end, then the 353 comes back into the picture as a possibility.

Depending on how close the Husky dealer is, an how supportive, I'd just get the Stihl. You will have better parts support, and more than likely have better dealers as well. If your Husky dealer has "saw guys" and a decent parts inventory, that could change. I'm kind of figuring they don't.

I've got to order pretty much everything for my saws, so I'm used to it. Not a lot of stuff stocked in KC for an 066 or a 372.

Mark

The practical difference in cutting with the NE346xp vs the 353 is larger than the specs indicate (at least to me).

For the small US price difference, just get the 346xp - it is the best 50cc saw out there, all things considered! :clap: :clap:

Oldsaw...why would you recommend the 353 over the 346? Just curious other than price I don't see where the 353 is an improvement over the 346.
Personally I'd go w/ the 346 (especially the NE346). I've run the 260 and it doesn't compare stock to the 346 not that much different in performance but feel and handling is much nicer in my opinion. I'm sure any of the 3 would serve you well.

Oldsaw...why would you recommend the 353 over the 346? Just curious other than price I don't see where the 353 is an improvement over the 346.
Personally I'd go w/ the 346 (especially the NE346). I've run the 260 and it doesn't compare stock to the 346 not that much different in performance but feel and handling is much nicer in my opinion. I'm sure any of the 3 would serve you well.

Stupidity on my part. I was thinking 357 rather than 353. Multitasking at the office. I didn't catch it until you mentioned it. No, 346 over 353 is right. Second time it's happened today...I think it's time for a beer. Transposed a model number in a email to a dealer earlier. He called to ask what I was talking about. I told him "today I don't know".

Mark

For sure got for the 346xp it is by far a much more superior saw. Plus it is the highest revving saw in the world. You will love it.

346NE

I wouldnt trade mine for anything, to me its the perfect small saw, they flat get it on and are easy on the back!

I use mine for almost the exact same thing you want to do it will work great for you I think anyway go for it.

Very handy weight to power, I wanted the performance and I got it, well worth the expense!

Kansas

The 353 is at least the equal of the 026/260 for less $$. For a few $$ more you can have MORE in the way of the 50cc 346XP. I have one of each, and prefer the 353 to the 026, but the 346xp leaves them for dead!

About 5cc's and better midrange power/torque. I have the old edition and it's a light sword...have run the new edition and honestly I didn't see much of a difference.

I bought a used/excellent 353 with new bar and chain on Ebay for 275.00 delivered-- that said, I was wanting a 346XP at the time. For 200.00 less, I chose the 353 but STILL want a 346XP. For 100.00 difference, I would have bought the 346XP... The 353 is a good saw.

2Door

I bought a used/excellent 353 with new bar and chain on Ebay for 275.00 delivered-- that said, I was wanting a 346XP at the time. For 200.00 less, I chose the 353 but STILL want a 346XP. For 100.00 difference, I would have bought the 346XP... The 353 is a good saw.

2Door

I have both by now - the story is pretty similar (but price differense much larger)........:cheers:

MS260 is tried and tested though. There's a reason it's still on the lineup 15 years after it was introduced (as the 024). Most likely it will outlast the 346 assuming equal servicing/maintenance etc..
In the practical (non AS, spec spotting, milli-second hunting) world, reliability may be a higher preference. Not that the 346 isn't, but it doesn't have the years behind it

MS260 is tried and tested though. There's a reason it's still on the lineup 15 years after it was introduced (as the 024). Most likely it will outlast the 346 assuming equal servicing/maintenance etc..
In the practical (non AS, spec spotting, milli-second hunting) world, reliability may be a higher preference. Not that the 346 isn't, but it doesn't have the years behind it

The 346xp has close to 10 years behind it, the 026/260 more than 20.

There is no proof that the 260 holds up better than the 346xp and 353.

Last edited:
Also interested in Dolmar 5100s but dealer support in area is not as strong.

Considered Stihl 260.

Your comments are welcomed.:dizzy:

OK, here goes: I had a 20cc hole in my lineup which HAD (cad) to be filled! Considered the 5100S but stayed away due to reports of reliability problems and poor dealer support.

I bought a MS260 two weeks ago but quickly changed my mind because 3.2HP just wasn't going to do it. Sold it 24 hours later.

After that I agonized over the 346XP/353 decision but in the end, 14,500 RPM and .4HP more for an extra $75 was too hard to resist, got the 346XPG which will be my "hacking around out back during winter" saw.

:greenchainsaw:

346= Porsche

353= VW

The 353 works reliably, but is a dud in the line up. A 450 will out cut it, let alone the 346 which will leave it in the dust.

The 353 has two other negatives: First, it comes with the heat generating and power robbing cat muffler, and second, it has the same cylinder as the 350, and therefore it's muffler screw issues. (It usually only happens on those two saws, not the 346, and not the 340/345)

Look at it this way, if you get the 353, you might always wonder if you should have gotten the 346. But if you get the 346, you'll never think about the 353 ever again.

After that I agonized over the 346XP/353 decision but in the end, 14,500 RPM and .4HP more for an extra $75 was too hard to resist, got the 346XPG which will be my "hacking around out back during winter" saw.

:greenchainsaw:
The 346XP NE has a rev-limited ignition module set to 14,100 RPM. The original 346XP's had non-limited ignition modules.

Where is Saw Troll? This is his department. :D

Latest posts

Back