Husky 357 Xp Or Stihl Ms361....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FELLNORTH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm On The Fence... For The Past 5 Years I Have Cut My 10 Cords Of Fire Wood With My Trusted Ms270 With 18" Bar, It Goes Good. But Now I Have Close To 50 Cord On The Ground And Will Need To Buck It.

So Time For Something Bigger...
Been Looking At 2 Choices, ( Both Used, Cant Afford New ) Husky 357xp For 475$ Can. Or A Stihl 361 For 450$ Can. Both Are In Ecxelent Shape...
If Anybody Has Any Input It Would Be Greatly Appreciated.
Thanx
Ms270

With 50 cords on the ground, skip over both of these saws and get a 372xp or a ms441. Time saved bucking 50 cords will pay for the increase in costs.

They are both great saws (I don't have a 361, but every other person on this forum has one, and raves about it), but do have the J-red 2156 which is the same saw as the 357XP, and really like it, especially as an all-around saw. I would buy the one that was in better condition.

Thanx, I Will Elaborate, I Was A Machinst Up Until 3 Years Ago, Broke My Leg, And Now I Am On Desk Duty 40 Hour A Week. Im Not In The Best Shape.
My Buddy Has A 2071 And A 365 Special, And I Find Them Too Heavy To Lug Around. I Am Looking For A Good All Around Saw.

50 cords?! How big is the wood...diameter-wise? Centaur may be right if it's big stuff. But if you're going to choose between the two and they're in the same condition...there really isn't much thinking to be made...361.

At The Outside, The Biggest Is 30 Inch, But That Is Popul...
Lots Of Soft Maple In The 12 To 20 Inch Range.. Some Yellow Birch As Well...

60cc is pretty small for a bucking saw if you are doing that much and some sizable stuff an 80-90cc saw will pay for it's self.

Going at 20 plus inch wood with a 60cc saw is slow and hard on the saw.

Last edited:
I Was Thinking About One Of Those UnIvent Saws, But Noboby Seems To Have Run One Too Se What They Are Like

Last edited:
I find the weight difference and bulk of the ms361 as compared to my ms440 to be so minor that I often mistakenly grab the wrong saw. I don’t even notice until I start the saw up. If weight and handling properties are a big concern, drop down a class size and consider a ms260, ne346xp or a dolmar 5100. All will be similar money, just purchase from the best local dealer. If your are bucking under 20” any will get the job done just not quickly.

The 361 has an inboard clutch, and the 357xp an outboard one.

Not everyone care, but if you are ripcutting it sure will make a difference.....

Last edited:
357 has clutch on outside of drive rim, 361 has clutch on inside.

Outboard clutches plug up the chips a little easier and are more of a pain to change chain, bars and sprockets.

Recently seen 60-80cc Makita saws new or reconditioned for the same kind of coin you're talking for used saws.

:chainsaw: Hey Buddy, welcome aboard!

I am also a newbie here but have been on many boards for trucks, boats, quads etc and you will find great info from people with a lot of experience that will save you time, money and head/heartaches... but... and it is a big but... there is always the my brand is the only brand mentality often coupled with the 'this is the only life I have' crowd.

In a survey of 3,200 foresters 41% favored Husky, 40% favored Stihl, nuff said.

Listen to everybody, sift out the bias and the beer drinking bravado, and buy what is best for you. Remember YOU have to pay for it, carry it and use it. You mentioned physical limitations:BEWARE TOO BIG A SAW! I am a big guy and used to bench over 350# but I bought the 262 and 361 because at 56 my back appreciates a lighter saw. The 20" bar gives better reach. In ten more years I will be real glad I didn't buy the 372!

Like real estate is all about location, location, location so with used equipment it is all about condition, condition, condition! If buying privately look at the guys shop and garage and other equipment... is it well maintained? Good bet. A pigpen? Be careful. Buy new if you can and maintain it well and you know what you've got and over the service life of a good saw it is only a few bucks more a year.

I have a beautiful new MS 361 and it is light, fast and comfortable. I had a 1994 262XP of which the 357XP is the current iteration. I chose the 361 because a) the dealer was closer, b) the out the door cost with the most aggressive 20" b/c was $135.00 better.

In truth, If your not brand blinded there isn't a spits worth of difference between these excellent saws.

Service is a factor but if you do good maintenance you will have very few occasions to need the dealers service, one of the benefits of buying a quality unit in the first place!

As to inner and outer clutches... in 35 years of sawing I have never had a single issue with the outer clutches... and never had one fail due to chips... but I do clean my saw regularly, keep it razor sharp and don't force it!

That's my 2 cents and my story and I'm sticking to it!

choice

I am also a newbie here but have been on many boards for trucks, boats, quads etc and you will find great info from people with a lot of experience that will save you time, money and head/heartaches... but... and it is a big but... there is always the my brand is the only brand mentality often coupled with the 'this is the only life I have' crowd.

Listen to everybody, sift out the bias and the beer drinking bravado, and buy what is best for you. Remember YOU have to pay for it, carry it and use it. You mentioned physical limitations:BEWARE TOO BIG A SAW! I am a big guy and used to bench over 350# but I bought the 262 and 361 because at 56 my back appreciates a lighter saw. The 20" bar gives better reach. In ten more years I will be real glad I didn't buy the 372!

Like real estate is all about location, location, location so with used equipment it is all about condition, condition, condition! If buying privately look at the guys shop and garage and other equipment... is it well maintained? Good bet. A pigpen? Be careful. Buy new if you can and maintain it well and you know what you've got and over the service life of a good saw it is only a few bucks more a year.

I have a beautiful new MS 361 and it is light, fast and comfortable. I had a 1994 262XP of which the 357XP is the current iteration. I chose the 361 because a) the dealer was closer, b) the out the door cost with the most aggressive 20" b/c was $135.00 better.

In truth, If your not brand blinded there isn't a spits worth of difference between these excellent saws.

Service is a factor but if you do good maintenance you will have very few occasions to need the dealers service, one of the benefits of buying a quality unit in the first place!

As to inner and outer clutches... in 35 years of sawing I have never had a single issue with the outer clutches... and never had one fail due to chips... but I do clean my saw regularly, keep it razor sharp and don't force it!

Good Post :)

In truth, If your not brand blinded there isn't a spits worth of difference between these excellent saws. ...

There are several differences, that go both ways - the clutch issue is just the most important of them imo.

Things that is better on the Husky is the choke/start/stop control and air filter system.

In Europe there is a power difference as well (in favor of the Stihl), but not in the US.

Fell,

I have been eyeballing both for a while as well.

I am not so much brand loyal as I am dealer loyal, and in my case I have both a great Stihl shop, AND a good Husky shop within 10 Miles.

Ya might want to compare your local support to tilt the scales towards one or the other.

With both Saws bieng used, I would pick over which one is in better shape and then figure from there if the dealers were about equal.

From what I can tell, the Husky 357 seems a bit more to my liking based upon "Feel" when running one. The 361 has no flies but just dosn't trip my trigger. Both cut about the same to me.

The inboard clutch on the 361 is nice... pull a pin, swap, replace pin, and done. But that's once every other year and isn't a deal breaker for me.

I am however addicted to Stihl RM Chain, and seem to spend more time in the Stihl shop so in order to minimize the "Abuse" I get for running a Husky, I might lean towards the 361...but keep wearing my Husky Hats.:)

Good luck to ya!
Sounds like you have a quandry that many would enjoy!:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I am also a newbie here but have been on many boards for trucks, boats, quads etc and you will find great info from people with a lot of experience that will save you time, money and head/heartaches... but... and it is a big but...there is always the my brand is the only brand mentality often coupled with the 'this is the only life I have' crowd.

Your post reflects a lot of wisdom....except for the highlighted part.:) Only a newbie would use "had" and "262XP" in the same line.;)

Last edited:
Back