Husky 357 Xp Or Stihl Ms361....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is because most members either have a Stihl or are stupid - most likely both (combines well regarding the 250 and 290 series saws)....:jawdrop: :greenchainsaw:

I actually have problems seeing anyone doing that
Umm....i dont have a stihl so i guess that means i'm ? What!

Proves my point!

There are several differences, that go both ways - the clutch issue is just the most important of them imo.

Things that is better on the Husky is the choke/start/stop control and air filter system.

In Europe there is a power difference as well (in favor of the Stihl), but not in the US.

I agree wholeheartedly with the Husky's better choke/start/stop setup, and yes, the clutch is quicker and easier on the Stihl but if mounting a bar and chain on an outside clutch setup is daunting, you shouldn't be using a chainsaw anyway.

Again, my point is there are minor ads and disads to both brands but both are competent saws. Personal preference, i.e. the gent who said he liked the 'feel' of the 357 and that the 361 didn't trip his switch... that's why living in a free country with choices is so great!

Yeah just so long as the echo people don't start comparing their echos to stihls or huskys :)

I'm On The Fence... For The Past 5 Years I Have Cut My 10 Cords Of Fire Wood With My Trusted Ms270 With 18" Bar, It Goes Good. But Now I Have Close To 50 Cord On The Ground And Will Need To Buck It.

So Time For Something Bigger...
Been Looking At 2 Choices, ( Both Used, Cant Afford New ) Husky 357xp For 475$ Can. Or A Stihl 361 For 450$ Can. Both Are In Ecxelent Shape...
If Anybody Has Any Input It Would Be Greatly Appreciated.
Thanx
Ms270

With that much wood on the ground, I'd probably sell one or two of the small saws and get a MS460, MS441 or a 372XP. If those feel heavy to you now, don't worry. By the time you're done bucking 50 cord your arms will look like Popeye and the saw will feel like a feather.

I was between the 357xp and the Stihl 361, and I ended up with the 357xp. So far the saw has been great with an 18" bar, it's my go to saw. The saw is easy to handle and cuts surprisingly welll for the size that it is. I do have larger saws, but often grab the 357 because of it's weight and nimbleness. I think either one will last you for years, as others have said, it' more important how it feels, not so much durability. To me it's obvious, handling is every time you use it, repairs and maintenance are not.. and as we have concluded they both are decent/well made saws. I think it's more important to go with the saw that is most comfortable in YOUR hands. good luck and enjoy!!

Willy. I have, or have ran every was that has been suggested, and I can tell you this. Get a 70cc or larger saw, you will thank me later, trust me.:givebeer:

Any of these will will put a smile on your face + it will get the job done in no time. Out of the 6 saws I've listed the dolmar 7900 is the best bang for the buck. However the Stihl 460 and 372 are more common, parts are plentiful, and both Husky and Stihl have strong dealer networks.

Dolmar 7900
Husky 372
MS 460
MS 660
MS441
Solo 681.

Last edited:
thank you everybody for your kind words and and advice, here is my update.
friday pm, i left work and went straight to buy the 361 at my local "honest abe" stihl dealer...
it was gone, a day late and a dollar short, story of my life.
he said he would have a new 361 and 441 in a week... iwas going to wait, and then he pointed me to the other side of his shop and showed me the rack of dolmar saws...
long story short ihad to give my trusted ms270 in trade :cry: but left with a brand new ps 7300...
used saturday and loved it( after filing the rakers to .032" )
if anyone has any feed back on this saw it would be apreciated.
thanx

thank you everybody for your kind words and and advice, here is my update.
friday pm, i left work and went straight to buy the 361 at my local "honest abe" stihl dealer...
it was gone, a day late and a dollar short, story of my life.
he said he would have a new 361 and 441 in a week... iwas going to wait, and then he pointed me to the other side of his shop and showed me the rack of dolmar saws...
long story short ihad to give my trusted ms270 in trade :cry: but left with a brand new ps 7300...
used saturday and loved it( after filing the rakers to .032" )
if anyone has any feed back on this saw it would be apreciated.
thanx

That sure is a good one, even though it isn't a 7900, it should still beat most other 70cc saws, including the 372xp.

So now you just need a NE346xp or 5100S, to replace that MS270.....:cheers:

I Am Starting Too Get Cad...
I Already Have A Stihl 017, And Found This Week End A Jred 2071 With Burnt Piston And Cylinder, Can You Say Big Bore!!!!!
I Think I Will Keep An Eye Open For A Ms 260 Pro Saw...
Thanx.

Ps What Kind Of Mods Help The 7300

The Dolmar 7300 should run just fine straight out of the box. You could try to modify the muffler, either expand the existing port or add another one but I don’t think the added gain is worth the time. The best mod you could do is to replace the piston and cylinder with the P+C for a 7900. You will probably notice a “slight” improvement in performance. Costs about $200 bucks.

Back