Husky 357xp or 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can get a Makita 7300 for £425
Same as SACHS dolmar i think, how does it compare? favourably on price!!!!

Looks like "jonseredsjonny" has more long term first hand experience than I do...but my first impressions are that "motomedik's" lightly "modded" Dolmar 7300 is quite a bit more saw than my 365. I don't have enough experience to really have a meaningful opinion on things like long term reliability, day to day ease of maintenance, air filter life, fuel usage etc..living with the saw. That 7300 was a smooth running powerful saw for the time I spent with it. I liked it.

Husqvarna 365: 13lbs 4.6HP 480

Husqvarna 570: 14.9lbs 4.9HP 516

MS361: 12.3lbs 4.4HP 525

Dolmar 7300 13.6lbs 5.7HP 425?

It kills on the spec sheet! Approaches a Husqvarna 372 XP. I just don't have any real "day to day" experience with Dolmar's.

Last edited:

Seems to be just Dolmar now they have dropped the sachs.
They are the same saw just with different coloured plastic.

For the money the Makita cant be beaten.
The 365 will get the job done but the old 262XP will spank it and is much lighter. But they are old saws now and Husky didnt make an equivelant model to replace it.
I know that didnt help you much lol

It wont matter which saw you pick out of the ones you have mentioned as they are all good.
Err dont know about the 570 but im thinking its very heavy for its weight!

Seems to be just Dolmar now they have dropped the sachs.
They are the same saw just with different coloured plastic.

For the money the Makita cant be beaten.
The 365 will get the job done but the old 262XP will spank it and is much lighter. But they are old saws now and Husky didnt make an equivelant model to replace it.
I know that didnt help you much lol

It wont matter which saw you pick out of the ones you have mentioned as they are all good.
Err dont know about the 570 but im thinking its very heavy for its weight!

Id put money on a stock 262 not taking a stock 365. I just don't think that will happen. We have two 262's at work, and they aren't all they're cracked up to be. Of course, i'll grab them over the 55's, but they aren't "the stuff".

I love my 357. Nothing but great performance and dead reliable so far. I also have a rancher and in my opinion there is a huge difference in performance between the models. Not even close.

Carb tuning can be just a little tricky with the 357xp. Mine seems to run best just a little under the max allowable rpm and if you get it too lean performance does suffer.

I've run the 365, 372, 361 and the 7900. I'd go for the 7900 or the 372 for what little weight difference there is. Sorry had to mention the 7900 b/c if I'm gonna handle the weight of the 7300 ya might as well step up in power to the 7900. Haven't had the pleasure yet to run a 357 but if it's anything like the 72 and the 46 I'm sure it's fantastic to run.
Good luck any would be a great choice.

If you can get the Dolmar 7300 for that price it's a no brainer. All you have to do is train yourself the kill switch is opposite of Husky. At this point it all comes down to what YOU prefer. Limbing with the 357 is fun. If you are doing much bucking the 7300 will put a big smile on your face. The 7900 is a tad faster for the same weight, if you want to spend the extra bucks. The quality of Dolmars is as good if not better. The question is finding a good dealer. IMO

Looks to me like this thread is going no where? So here is my choice Dolmar 7900 cost's much less than a 441 or 2171 and has more bang for your buck.
Why sell it when you are done? Resale only applies to Stihl heads they will pay anything for a cream cycle.

If you can get the Dolmar 7300 for that price it's a no brainer. All you have to do is train yourself the kill switch is opposite of Husky. At this point it all comes down to what YOU prefer. Limbing with the 357 is fun. If you are doing much bucking the 7300 will put a big smile on your face. The 7900 is a tad faster for the same weight, if you want to spend the extra bucks. The quality of Dolmars is as good if not better. The question is finding a good dealer. IMO
Dam you beat me to it! funny you mention the switch it takes some getting used to but not too bad. I switch from Jred to Dolmar to Mac and Poulan sometimes I have to look at the saw!lol

Id put money on a stock 262 not taking a stock 365. I just don't think that will happen. We have two 262's at work, and they aren't all they're cracked up to be. Of course, i'll grab them over the 55's, but they aren't "the stuff".

The 365 i have had a go of was fairly lame but torquey, My muffler modded 036 would kick its ass but then again they other guy may not be great at sharpening chains!

I ran a friends (motomedik's) Dolmar 7300 last week. Its a really nice saw. He did his usual muffler mod & retune job and it's....got power.:chainsawguy: More than my 365!

Should be more than the 372xp as well......

The only down-side is weight - 1.8lbs more than the MS361 empty, more with full fuel and oil tanks.

If you can make use of all the extra power, it will be worth it for sure.

Last edited:
The 365 i have had a go of was fairly lame but torquey, My muffler modded 036 would kick its ass but then again they other guy may not be great at sharpening chains!

The start of this was a question of a 357 relative to a 365.....now its morphed into a good information gathering excecise...but to be realistic you have to compare saws stock. Matching modded to stock saws doesn't give an accurate comparison...to actually compare Stihl's we need to find out what they have in addition to the 361 in the price range the origional posting defined....

Using that "modification" logic, the real question is would your modded 361 kick a modded 365 or better yet a 365 with a "big bore" 75cc top end.....modded. Have to compare apples to apples. But thats not what is being asked. Its about the starting point based on Stock saws.

Actually what become apparent here is for the price difference a better comparison is a modded Dolmar 7300 vs. your modded 361.. there is no replacement for displacement. Dolmar wins the power war.

In a spec sheet war it looks to me like the Dolmars price performance-ratio are unbeatable.

Last edited:
Hi Sawtroll, you should know your saws. From good ole Norway.
What is the most popular saw up there!!!!

Have you had any problems with your saws? or have they proved reliable!!1

Atvb CC

The start of this was a question of a 357 relative to a 365.....now its morfed into a good information gathering excecise...but to be realistic you have to compare saws stock. Matching modded to stock saws doesn't give an accurate comparison...to actually compare Stihl's we need to find out what they have in the price range the origional posting defined....

Using that "modification" logic, the real question is would your modded 361 kick a modded 365 or better yet a 365 with a "big bore" 75cc top end.....modded. Have to compare apples to apples. For the price difference you could just about get a 372 top end for the 365! But thats not what is being asked. Its about the starting point based on Stock saws.

Actually what become apparent here is for the price difference a better comparison is a modded Dolmar 7300 vs. your modded 361.. there is no replacement for displacement. Dolmar wins the power war.

In a spec sheet war it looks to me like the Dolmars price performance ration are unbeatable.

The 036 was all i had at the time to compare!
A 365 is lame compared to a 372XP and if your going to carry the weight you might as well have the 372 IMO
Thats why I have a 7900 rather than a 7301 or 6401.

I agree i couldnt really tell you what my 262XP was like stock as it was down to 130 psi compression before I modded it, But anyone I know that has one thinks highly of them.

If it was my money I would buy the 7301.
But then again a 357XP Is fun to run with a sharp chain, Just let it eat and dont push too hard.

What is the backup like on Sachs Dolmar/Makita saws in the uk? Please:dizzy:

Theres thousands of Makita dealers in the UK, Ive not needed any parts but the local dealer says any part in 3 days.
Bars are large mount Husky 009 pattern the sprockets are standard spline Husky.
parts shouldnt be a problem.

Latest posts

Back