Husky 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pit you can see at one o'clock of sunlit area is discernibly felt with fingernail. I also wonder if anything has found its way into the bottom end. Almost all the pits are at the bottom end of the cylinder. The mechanic said he could put it back together but wouldn't guarantee it wouldn't seize at some point.

I got a 359 jug that looks similar too.

It's your saw, but I'd run it till it dies, then look into rebuilding it with a 357xp top end or an aftermarket jug.

Every little light speck in that pic is a pit. My concern is that the plating might flake, get into, and wreck, the bottom end , and therefore the saw if I keep going with that cylinder. I don't know enough about the subject, hence the post here.

sorry for offtopic, but why use smaller P&C on 359?
359 is 59 cc and 357 is 57 cc?

The 357 jug makes more power, it's also a Mahle brand, high quality reputable manufacturer unlike the 359 jug.

And I think if you buy the cylinders new from husky, there is very little difference in price? No brainer.

smaller cc more power, how ? i find on net only that 357 works on higher rpm and that is 0.5 hp more, or i'm wrong?

Displacement isn't everything. It's only 2cc's, the 357 spins a higher rpm which means more chain speed. The porting in the cylinder is likely more "aggressive" stock as well. The 359 was made to hit a price point, the 357xp was a high performance pro saw. Can't have the cheaper 359 outperforming the pro model can we?
359's were "detuned" from the factory if you will. No crank stuffers, the cylinder has a blockage on the lower transfers, some models had catalytic mufflers. Add in the cheaper cylinder and you have a saw that can hit a price point but still be an awesome pro built saw for guys in the know.

Yeap what these guys said.put it together and run it.pits are common in the 359.i'm sure the acid treatment would completely ruin one of those jugs.

Latest posts

Back