Husky 36 thread for clutch snapped off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllinoisJim

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Have an old 36 that I use for several cords of wood a year. Was doing some light limbing and suddenly the chain wasn't turning and made a rattling sound. Finished up with a bigger saw. Figured the clutch may have fallen apart but the thread holding the clutch snapped off. The shaft extension holding the sprocket bearing is still fine. Looks like I need a new crank but doing a crank replacement looks like a fair amount of work. Don't have a cost - Balley's didn't have a part numbers and referred me to Husky cust service which I can call next week. Any recommendations? I suppose it might be possible to drill the shaft and press in a threaded part but probably not worth the effort/cost. I can't imagine what I did to put pressure on this thread - maybe during a chain change I put some pressure on the sprocket/drum. If it just cracked it could have worked for a while and cracked during use. But I still don't see how I could have put that much pressure on it.

Just looked on ebay and there are quite a few used and new cranks. I am guessing the new ones are probably not OEM? (and to be avoided). Some of the used ones look pretty good and some don't. What else should I be replacing while I have it open?

Have an old 36 that I use for several cords of wood a year. Was doing some light limbing and suddenly the chain wasn't turning and made a rattling sound. Finished up with a bigger saw. Figured the clutch may have fallen apart but the thread holding the clutch snapped off. The shaft extension holding the sprocket bearing is still fine. Looks like I need a new crank but doing a crank replacement looks like a fair amount of work. Don't have a cost - Balley's didn't have a part numbers and referred me to Husky cust service which I can call next week. Any recommendations? I suppose it might be possible to drill the shaft and press in a threaded part but probably not worth the effort/cost. I can't imagine what I did to put pressure on this thread - maybe during a chain change I put some pressure on the sprocket/drum. If it just cracked it could have worked for a while and cracked during use. But I still don't see how I could have put that much pressure on it.

Just looked on ebay and there are quite a few used and new cranks. I am guessing the new ones are probably not OEM? (and to be avoided). Some of the used ones look pretty good and some don't. What else should I be replacing while I have it open?
Unless this saw has sentimental attatchment, probably not worth it. You could check eBay for a good used carcass at a decent price, I'm guessing you could find a decent crankcase for under 40$, put new seals in and put your saw together from there. Good luck.

Yup, look for a donor saw if you want to resurrect yours or just buy a runner and keep yours for parts.

I would think a crank should be able to be located for very little if put a wanted ad over in trading post.

Looks like I can get a crank from several places. What should I be replacing while I am inside? Since I am going to have it all apart it will be easy to replace other parts. Bearings? What seals and gaskets am I going to need? Haven't had this type engine apart before (but have worked on other small engines).

Personal opinion is the saw's not worth fixing. Buy a runner and sell yours for parts. You'll be time and money ahead. You have to figure what the saw is worth running and work backwards from there to where your saw is to determine feasibility.

I was unaware a 4620 would fit in this saw. Cool if it will, as I have both a 4620 in need of repair as well as a 136 that has bad bearings.
I have not done one yet but others have. Not sure if there are any top cover clearance issues, but it doesn't look like it. You do need to use the 46cc carb mount/partition.

I don't think the Husqvarna chassis is particularly lighter than the Poulan chassis, but it might be sturdier.

I have a 142 I put a 46 poulan in,everything swaps over but you have to use the poulan intake setup to match the cylinder but it all fits. Also the clutch and drum is interchangeable,It made a noticeable difference.

Well, I went and looked at what I have, and I have a 136 with bad bearings missing a clutch cover. Also have a Poulan 46cc engine and intake. Looks like it will bolt right on. Should the 136 carb work on the 46cc engine? I'm hoping this will be my new favorite 16" saw. I really liked the 42cc Poulan pro I had, and this one should be better.

Latest posts

Back