Husky 365 bogging down, won't go past idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a Husky 365 that was flooded awhile ago (a river invaded my shop with 4.5 feet of water). I did the initial cleanup on it a long time ago but I'm finally getting around to getting this one running. I'm not a chainsaw expert doing mods etc myself but I do my own maint and I've been through this with MANY motors since the flood (only had one old push mower who's carb was to old to bother with and gave up on), so far the chainsaws were actually some of the easiest to get back into shape but this 365 is being pesky. Common stuff is electrical and bearings replaced, sometimes gaskets after a teardown but you'd be amazed what can be saved after a flood...
So the 365 starts pretty reliably and idles along but when I pull the trigger it just bogs down like the chain brake is on but it's not. I've had pretty much everything apart cleaned and back together several times and the same result. It's got a new ignition coil (that tends to go back quick after the flood so I just changed it) and a serious carb cleaning. It wouldn't start or idle at all before two carb needle valve cleanings (again normal flood cleanup). I took the chain brake cover off and cleaned but looked pretty good in there, could see the brake working etc, thought maybe it was seized up.

Does the symptom of idling but just bogging down with throttle ring any bells to anyone for something to zone in on?

I haven't changed any bearings, which tend to go bad after the flood, but everything seems to be turning freely...they may need it in the future but figured it was turning over, idling, sprocket moved while turning over etc, that meant everything was at least moving and not seized up right?

Am I missing something that needs cleaned on the carb? It's got a Walbro.

Thanks guys

You have not pressure checked the crankcase yet?

If carbs give me very much trouble, I look for a different one.

No, no pressure test...what would go bad? Is there a gasket or something?

I learned real QUICK , that if something comes in the shop not running right , PRESSURE test FIRST , Don't go for carbs or coils first. because if there is an air leak , a carb kit or coil isn't going to make it go away.

Possibly an Exhaust problem, such as a crapped up arrestor screen, but smart money (of which I have none) would be on the carb. If carb work made go from nothing to something, and you already have a new coil, I'd keep working the carb angle. I will not insult you with a low jet setting query

I would take the muffler off and check to make sure it is not plugged up with dried up mud. If the muffler is ok then it must be a carb problem or air leak. One of the idle transition holes in the carb could be blocked. Take the carb off, remove the idle mixture screw and spray some carb cleaner in the hole where the mixture screw came out of and check to see if the carby cleaner sprays out the idle transition holes like it should. You need to open the throttle butterfly to see the idle transition holes properly.
It could also be a leaking check valve in the main fuel nozzle of the carb. The check valve can be damaged if you blow it out with compressed air. To check it you need to remove it from the carby by firstly unscrewing the high speed mixture screw and then pushing the nozzle through to the throat of the carby with a pin punch and hammmer. When you have the nozzle out, put a piece of vacuum hose over the end that faces the throat of the carby and try blowing and sucking on the hose. You should be able to suck air through the nozzle but not be able to blow back through it.

Last edited:
Great info guys thanks. Have to admit I've never checked for an air leak and feel silly I haven't checked the muffler yet...tend to find the same issues post flood and haven't seen that one yet but lots of mud and is totally possible.
Thommo thanks for the great description and ideas, honestly not sure I know where all that stuff is but I will go look! Tried to get that jet out of the body but didn't know to punch it out. Mudd in carbs is the most common post flood issue so I guess I need to keep cleaning! Will keep everyone posted

I would take the muffler off and check to make sure it is not plugged up with dried up mud. If the muffler is ok then it must be a carb problem or air leak. One of the idle transition holes in the carb could be blocked. Take the carb off, remove the idle mixture screw and spray some carb cleaner in the hole where the mixture screw came out of and check to see if the carby cleaner sprays out the idle transition holes like it should. You need to open the throttle butterfly to see the idle transition holes properly.
It could also be a leaking check valve in the main fuel nozzle of the carb. The check valve can be damaged if you blow it out with compressed air. To check it you need to remove it from the carby by firstly unscrewing the high speed mixture screw and then pushing the nozzle through to the throat of the carby with a pin punch and hammmer. When you have the nozzle out, put a piece of vacuum hose over the end that faces the throat of the carby and try blowing and sucking on the hose. You should be able to suck air through the nozzle but not be able to blow back through it.

Back