husky 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4American

Got Sawdust?
Reaction score
working on neighbors 372 for him...well for one want to figure out what year it is. It's old and beat up but it's not that old it's 71cc. I don't think it's an x-torq head. It has spark, doesn't seem to want to run. Without the decomp valve pushed in its real hard to turn over...partly because the handle is broken in half so not much to grab. Is there anything common that goes wrong on these units to check? It might not be getting fuel, after pulling over for awhile and then pulling out spark plug it's not wet and cant smell gas.

This old girl was worked hard thats for sure. It looks like it might have some head gasket leakage, but I don't think that is why it won't run. I will pull off muffler and peek inside later on to see what it looks like in there. From What I saw on spark plug it was running rich.

The compression is low. 372's aren't high PSI'ers to begin with. They are prone to fuel line issues as well, but I'd bet a scored piston

Edit: I misread what was happening with the decomp, but I still bet its scored

wow it was hard to find this old thread! the older AS used to have a way to find all your started threads, I can't seem to figure out how that works on the new AS. Anyways, so I pulled off the muffler, it has very small minor scoring. I dribbled some fuel down the carb throat and she fired right up. I dumped out the old fuel, pulled out the gas filter, blew into fuel line a little to check for leaks, put fresh fuel in, fired her up without the fuel filter on and she fired right up and ran. Now she just needs a few odds and ends parts. pull handle is broken, chain brake handle is gummed up and operates in a gooey manner...the ring gear for the starter is stripped right out and it's a chore to get it to catch...chain needs grinding, bar is all boogered up needs some tlc...

all that being said, how much do you think I should offer him to buy it off him? he said his plan is to sell it once I get it fixed. Keep in mind I've fixed a few saws for him free of charge, even put some new parts into them that I had lying around. I also worked on his log truck a bit for free. His father just recently passed and left him the business that's how he's got all this stuff and he's just selling everything. Any thoughts?

Sounds like it's worth about $200 tops, less if it needs a piston. If it was me I'd expect him to give it to me.

He can realistically expect to get At Least $250-$300 from a running 372. I have found that, Sometimes, 'friends', 'kinfolk', and 'neighbors' are all fun-n-games unless it costs them money, either outright or in profit lost. It won't be long until another, perhaps Better, 372 comes along.

Then I'd give him a bill for the other work you did "realistically" and wash my hands of it all. Only reason I'd buy the saw would be to rescue it from the possible fate of being stuck with a friend like that.

... it has very small minor scoring.
ANY scoring is bad. The topend needs to come off to access the damage. Hopefully the cylinder will clean up. Plan on a new piston. You then need to pressure/vac test it, or you risk doing it again. I'd also plan on a new fuel line and impulse hose.

Argh. I hate dogs like that. I've been through that with friends ... awkward. Also have friends that don't call unless they need something, also awkward, and that gets old. He may be a friend, but sounds like he doesn't appreciate the work involved in repairing his misused equipment. It sounds like he is looking to you to fix for free so he can get a profit on the sale, which is lame. Be frank and say you'll buy it ($75 - $100?, pics?) or else your not touching it. Otherwise, that saw is a black hole for you my friend. That particular saw needs a breakdown in addition to the obvious.

The compression is low. 372's aren't high PSI'ers to begin with. They are prone to fuel line issues as well, but I'd bet a scored piston

Edit: I misread what was happening with the decomp, but I still bet its scored

They aren't really "prone" to any issues, that doesn't happen to any saw model - it is one of the most reliable models out there!

Argh. I hate dogs like that. I've been through that with friends ... awkward. Also have friends that don't call unless they need something, also awkward, and that gets old. He may be a friend, but sounds like he doesn't appreciate the work involved in repairing his misused equipment. It sounds like he is looking to you to fix for free so he can get a profit on the sale, which is lame. Be frank and say you'll buy it ($75 - $100?, pics?) or else your not touching it. Otherwise, that saw is a black hole for you my friend. That particular saw needs a breakdown in addition to the obvious.
yea that is exactly what's going on. if i were to make it mine i'd most likely run the thing til it dont run no more. starts right up and winds out good and stuff, she'll turn a chain. i might bring it to the upstate ny gtg this weekend

yea that is exactly what's going on. if i were to make it mine i'd most likely run the thing til it dont run no more. starts right up and winds out good and stuff, she'll turn a chain. i might bring it to the upstate ny gtg this weekend
Why not fix it right and run it for many years?

Why are you fixin all this stuff for free?

Why not fix it right and run it for many years?

Why are you fixin all this stuff for free?
It runs just fine now, I'm not gonna run it to the point that it barely turns the chain...but if it blows up i'd most likely send it out to get ported.
He told me he'd "throw me some cash" still have yet to see any.

He came by today and asked about the 372...told me that if i went and got the parts he'd "throw me some cash" .... yea like that'll happen.

It runs just fine now, I'm not gonna run it to the point that it barely turns the chain...but if it blows up i'd most likely send it out to get ported.
He told me he'd "throw me some cash" still have yet to see any.

He came by today and asked about the 372...told me that if i went and got the parts he'd "throw me some cash" .... yea like that'll happen.

I believe I'd fix it how I want it and wait until he pays to give it back if he ever pays.

I believe I'd fix it how I want it and wait until he pays to give it back if he ever pays.

Good idea. Hand him the bill for a proper fix and I bet he'll let ya keep it! Might even think on summa the other stuff you've done.

Latest posts

Back