Husky 372xp muffer removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philobite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the muffler off my 372xp. I removed the 4 allen bolts (2 thru and 2 holding the bracket on), but the muffler doesn't budge. Is it just really stuck and need some persuasion, or am I missing something?

Nooooo, there are 6 bolts. 4 in the bracket and two in the tubes that come out the front of the muffler. Put the hammer away, you don't need a hammer for a muffler EVER!!!! The two in the tubes are a size bigger than the ones on the bracket.

Mark

So, what I ended up doing was grinding off the allen heads with a dremel tool and using a bolt remover to get the old studs out, the cut off the muffler with a cutting torch.

Not really. It was the bolts inside the tubes that I wasn't aware of. The drawings in the parts breakout were vague. Once Oldsaw made that clear the rest was a cinch. That's the 4 bolts you all were talking about. The 2 in the tubes and the two on the outside thru the bracket.

Glad you read it before you got the hammer. I just muff modded my 372, so I went through the procedure last night. Just didn't pay attention to the size of the allen wrenches.

Mark

Having no welder available, I took the path of least resistance.

P1010157.jpg

The stainless steel screen came from a cheap kitchen strainer. Cool stuff, it would compress and stretch in either direction. Pinched that between the bracket and muffler. Holes are about 3/8", way more conservative than what some guys are doing, but I figured it was a good starting point.

Noise is up significantly, but haven't had a chance to see how the power has changed.

Mark

Last edited:
Back