Husky 372XP problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iskiatomic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, new to this site, I see a lot of knowledge out here, so I will throw out my issue and see if someone can help me out.

My 372XP will start and run like a champ. Run out a tank of fuel, refuel and oil, go to start the saw, it will not start.

If the saw sits for 25-40 minutes, it will fire right up again. Has anyone else had this problems? Or a suggestion to solve this.

Kind regards, KC

Hello all, new to this site, I see a lot of knowledge out here, so I will throw out my issue and see if someone can help me out.

My 372XP will start and run like a champ. Run out a tank of fuel, refuel and oil, go to start the saw, it will not start.

If the saw sits for 25-40 minutes, it will fire right up again. Has anyone else had this problems? Or a suggestion to solve this.

Kind regards, KC
I dont know if your saw is new or old but it sounds to me like maybe your flooding your saw.Any saw when its cold choke it.When the sounds makes the sound like it almost starts then take the choke off.Most of the time thats it saw will start or after you choke it and it almost starts you have to squeeze the gas trigger down after you choke it and that works for me.Some saws have their own quirks you have to feel them out thats my experience.It can also be other problems that im not knowledgeable.If i cant fiqure it out goes to the mechanic.Hope that helps some good luck.

Pull the choke on and then kick it off. That puts the carb on high idle, which helps on hot starts.

I have a "newish" 372xpw (probably 10-15 tanks). After it's been run for awhile, I sometimes find it a little temperamental about restarting. What sometimes works is to set the high idle, push in the choke and then pull the choke out a little between full open and full close. I think as the cutting day wears on, filters don't pass air as well. Just guessing. The one saw that seems to start the easiest all day is my 5100. The 044 aint' bad either. They certainly do have their own quirks. What about mixture settings? Maybe that too is a consideration. I love it when I adjust the carb in the field and it starts right up and I think -man- I'm really good at keepin' things going. Then I turn the saw off and it won't restart. Go figure. Gotta love 'em though. They keep me warm all winter.

attachment.php

I have a "newish" 372xpw (probably 10-15 tanks). After it's been run for awhile, I sometimes find it a little temperamental about restarting. What sometimes works is to set the high idle, push in the choke and then pull the choke out a little between full open and full close. I think as the cutting day wears on, filters don't pass air as well. Just guessing. The one saw that seems to start the easiest all day is my 5100. The 044 aint' bad either. They certainly do have their own quirks. What about mixture settings? Maybe that too is a consideration. I love it when I adjust the carb in the field and it starts right up and I think -man- I'm really good at keepin' things going. Then I turn the saw off and it won't restart. Go figure. Gotta love 'em though. They keep me warm all winter.

How do you like that Univent 372? I've got one new in the box I grabbed around Christmas and have yet to even try it out. Is there any noticeable difference between it and a regular Husky 372? I've read on here that they're hotrodded from the factory.

The fact that you need to let it sit for a spell seems to imply that heat may be the issue. Maybe try letting the saw idle for 20 or 30 seconds after hard use.... to dissipate heat some.

You sure you've got the idle mixture set ok? I'd probably do a little playing around with the idle mixture and the speed screw to get the right combination for an easy start. Just a thought.

The fact that you need to let it sit for a spell seems to imply that heat may be the issue. Maybe try letting the saw idle for 20 or 30 seconds after hard use.... to dissipate heat some. ....

Yes, and if so he needs to find out why it gets so hot - like blunt chain, too lean H setting etc, or....:jawdrop:

As others said, it could also be a flooding issue, specially if he use full choke on the re-start.

Last edited:
Looks like you have vapor lock problem.Try to not run out of gas before refueling.Be sure inside the top cover that your white cap is blocking the hole.And run your saw a bit richer on the H,will decrease the heat of engine and by the fact vapor lock will be less pronounced when you try to restart.

My first thought would be - running it totally out of gas may be causing your main problem....

Runnin' a saw out of fuel is a surefire way to lean seize a saw...

Gary

Yea I had read that, here and other places - so I am very careful about not running the tank dry on my saws!

To all, thanks for your comments and tips. Unfortunately at this time I have nothing to cut to try some of these remidies.

Unlike my truck, my saws don't have gas guages. So please tell me how you go about not running the saw dry. Is it a timed thing?

Some of you say, this can be a problem of to much heat. What would be the causes of this?

Thanx, KC

i try not to run my saws out of fuel if im going to keep using them. i agree on the flooding idea aswell.

+1

If you run a saw out of gas, you have an empty fuel line, and it takes at least a half dozen pulls to draw fuel up to the carb. And with a warm engine it now becomes tricky not to pull it to much and flood it. Plus, it's not good for the saw to be sucking air as it runs out of fuel.

You can tell when the fuel is almost out as the engine will begin to rev a little faster than usual with a hollow sound to it, not the powerful sound of a correctly tuned saw. Stop the saw the minute you hear it rev up, it still has a little fuel left in the tank but don`t burn it all out. After refilling the tank the saw will restart much more easily if it does not have to pump enough fuel to fill the pickup line and the carb to then feed the cylinder. That last blast you get when running out of fuel is mixed too heavily with air so you are actually running real lean and that causes a lot of heat, the result is lean seizure. Do that time and again and there goes your piston and possibly the cylinder.
Pioneerguy600

To all, thanks for your comments and tips. Unfortunately at this time I have nothing to cut to try some of these remidies.

Unlike my truck, my saws don't have gas guages. So please tell me how you go about not running the saw dry. Is it a timed thing?

Some of you say, this can be a problem of to much heat. What would be the causes of this?

Thanx, KC

It's definitely a familiarity thing. If you discipline yourself to check it fairly frequently, you will very quickly get a feel for it. As the saying goes, it's just "dirty laundry"..... and be conservative..... just top it off every now and again. There's no point in running it dry.

2-cycle engines are very different beasts than most folks are familiar with. You're showing a lot of smarts by asking these question. The knuckleheads on this site (you know who you are :poke:) have made all the mistakes. You're a wise man to avail yourself of the experience.

After a while you know when to refuel. Just check it every so often, does your saw have the transparent tank?? If so its easy to see how low the fuel is.

Kind regards, KC

As soon as it will not start put a good spark plug in the boot and with your compression release on pull her quick and check for spark. Best try to do it in the shadows where you can see the spark if its there. Sounds like a common symptom of a bad coil but not neccessarily. If there is no spark I believe your coil has a lifetime warranty through Husky. My freind bought a used 372 with a bad coil and the dealer promptly warrantied it. If you have spark it probably is a fuel delivery issue.

Latest posts

Back