Husky 390 or 395?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nix

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all... I'm thinking of buying a new saw, and am having a tough time deciding between these two. My dealer has the 390 for $975, the 395 for $999. So price really isn't an issue.

All I've got at the moment is a Husky 365sp, great saw love it. I may end up selling it though to cover the price of a bigger one, and down the road pick up a 365/372 again when funds permit it. I'd keep the saw if I could afford to drop a grand on a new one, but I can't... and honestly I could use something bigger (got a ton of oaks and such to cut, 25"-45").

So if I were to have just one saw, and it was a 390 or 395... which do you recommend? 395 is only $25 more, but I just don't know about it for a everyday use kind of saw... plus the front chain adjuster... etc.

Any help appreciated!

Yeah... it is supposed to be considerably heavier. And considering it's only .5 more HP than the 390, I was kinda leaning towards the smaller saw. I just don't want to spend that kind of cash and then regret not going all out and getting the 395.

Buuut, like I just said it doesn't have that much more power (according to specs), is much lighter, and then throw on how this'll be my one and only saw for a while... yeah.

The 395 is considerably larger and heavier. I recommend you go with the 390.

+1. I have a 395 and it is a fine saw, but its heavy and the outboard clutch kinda sucks imo. Also has the chain tensioner on the inside on the 395. It works great for me though no more than I use it, But I wouldn't want it as my only saw.

Last edited:
Hmmmm

Like you said why not got all in and take the "right" saw in the first place (395). But if funds low why not stick with your 365 and a 24 inch sword and take the big ones from two sides? Save the dough for something more important? Afterall it's "just" firewood. I agree the bigger saw will ad some comfort to the sawing job. But if you struggle to get to the day and way save the money and wait for better times to invest in better equipment. After all you got a good allround saw which does the job. Maybee (certainly) not as fast but get's it done. Save your money for a better day when things not tight. That the time for investments obviously not now.
All things equal a will take 395 anyday instead of the 390. It's the "right" big saw. More grunt and overall performance. If handling's the problem get a smaller saw. Maybe a 365?
But 1000 us dollars for a 395! I have paid apx 1800 us dollars for the same saw in Denmark. 300 kilometres away from the factory!!!!
Hmmm

Motorsen

The 390 isn't going to feel like that much bigger of a saw than the 365. It will balance out real nice with a 28-32" bar. The 395 will feel a bit bigger and will have a little more power with the bigger bars. The outboard clutch isn't that bad. The front tensioner is my biggest complaint with the saw.

Dolmar 7900

I don't know if you have the support for a dolmar 7900 in your area or not, but at only .2 horsepower less and 2 pounds lighter than a 390 it would sure make for a good saw for your needs. Put a 28" to 32" on it and put it to work. It would be less painful for the pocketbook too. I know that I love mine. Of course I'm cutting 24 to 36 beetle killed doug fir and not oak.

In my area the 660 hasn't gone up in price for a long time.. You can get a full wrap PHO for 930.. The 390's are almost the same price now.. Both have much more torque than the 7900.. 660 has to have the DP muffler tho or its a dog.

I sadly don't have much support for Dolmar 'round here. I don't even know where the closest dealer is. :/

But there's a Stihl/Husky dealer less than three miles from home, and I've used them forever. Great guys, they treat me well and I give them my business.

I don't really have any preference between Stihl or Husqvarna... I've used them both extensively, and find they are pretty much equal in craftsmanship. Both are tough as nails, run like a 7.3 and just... well, do their job and do it well. I'll go with either, normally whichever is the better deal.

Problem with the 660 is it's $1200-ish from my dealer. It has to be special ordered. He does much more Husky stuff, as the loggers 'round here (and there are a ton of 'em) run mainly Husky. Biggest Stihl he stocks is the 441, sadly... but he offers good prices on Husky saws so it's all good in the end.

The front tensioner is my biggest complaint about the 395. The older saws I've used that had that... ugh. Not a huge fan, I'm spoiled by the side access lol.

It would be my only saw for a while, until I could pick up a 044/372 or 026/346 as a secondary, smaller saw.

Funds aren't a huge issue, as I could just go and buy the saw outright and keep the 365... I just won't. I don't like the idea of dropping that kind of cash at the moment, a thousand bucks is a good chunk of dough for one saw. I've been looking for used ones, but they don't pop up all that often around here sadly.

Anyway, again I just can't decide if it'd be wiser to go all out and buy the 395 considering they're the same price... but at the same time the older fashioned design and the fact that it'd be my primary use saw for a while makes me wonder if I would rather a 390 and it's better handling.

Also, mdavlee, when you said the 390 feels about the same as the 365... do you mean in handling? I would assume so, as the saw is supposed to pack a bit more of a punch in terms of power. :p

My last question is, what size bars can the 390 handle comfortably? I want something that'll pull a 24" bar up to a 36" with ease. I'm pretty sure the 395 would handle that fine, but not positive 'bout the 390.

Sorry for the long and chaotic post guys, but thanks for all the help!

Wow if the 395 and 390 are the same price it would be a tough choice.. I presume they are considerably cheaper than the $1200 660

If I had to choose one of these saws as my only saw, on paper the 390 is the more attractive. Looks to be the same size wise as the 372 like a 372 with a BB kit, where as the 395 looks like a slight smaller version of the 3120. If I were to haul it around for a day I would appreciate the lighter weight of the 390 while enjoying the power of a larger saw as it has more power than the venerable 372.
You will have the best of both worlds with the 390 by sacrificing a bit of power for some weight reduction. Now I personally run my 441 quite a bit more than my 066, I feel comfortable using a 70cc saw for anything I come across, but it is nice to have a big cc saw around with a long bar to make a big job easier. Just my opinion.

Can you go for a little drive to get a better deal on the Stihl MS 660? If so, you will have a "395" packaged in a "390" size saw. All the features of the 390 (minus the air filtration) with a bit more torque and HP (especially with a dual port muffler). I think the 660 may even be a tad lighter than the 390, not that it matters that much. Both the 390 and 660 are a more nimble saw than the 395. Otherwise, with what you've described, you will probably be pretty happy with a 390.

What about making that 365 a 372xp BB?. BB kit is $100 and maybe get it ported for another $300 or so since your on a budget. And you also still have your power in a light frame. But if it is a must i would say 385/390xp or a 660 or even the 395. Which ever you think you want for your budget...all have plenty of power to do the job. Also what bar size are you going to run (MOST) of the time?.

Go hold the 390, and 395 side by side, heck demo one or both if you can setup with the dealer. They used to do that if you gave em notice they get a sales rep to bring a couple demo saws to the shop. Get either one man either one will have far more power than a 365, nothing against the 365 great saw, but you get the feel of a bigger saw, even if it is heavier like a 395, they will make up for it in power, and speed. But between those two just go for the one that feels better in youre hands I dont think you could go wrong with either. Norm...........

The 390 is basically a slightly larger 372. Some parts even interchange. Bars and chains even swap if you have spares or get a second, third Husky further down the road.

You won't be disappointed with the 390 if you were to purchase it that's for sure.

If you end up wanting a little more, in the space of an hour you can remove the base gasket and mod the muffler by opening up under the deflector. Same muffler as the 372. If you want it quieter for any work close to residences, slip in a restrictor where the screen goes.

Hey all... I'm thinking of buying a new saw, and am having a tough time deciding between these two. My dealer has the 390 for $975, the 395 for $999. So price really isn't an issue.

All I've got at the moment is a Husky 365sp, great saw love it. I may end up selling it though to cover the price of a bigger one, and down the road pick up a 365/372 again when funds permit it. I'd keep the saw if I could afford to drop a grand on a new one, but I can't... and honestly I could use something bigger (got a ton of oaks and such to cut, 25"-45").

So if I were to have just one saw, and it was a 390 or 395... which do you recommend? 395 is only $25 more, but I just don't know about it for a everyday use kind of saw... plus the front chain adjuster... etc.

Any help appreciated!

390 with a 28" bar is a good setup. Fairly nimble and smooth, certainly easier on the operator the the 395. If you are selling the mid size saw and are going to only have one saw, I would recommend the 390. The 395 is a great saw with a 36" bar but unless you need the power it is big, heavy and thirsty compared to the 390.

Back