Husky 390 or 395?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would get the 390, no question about it. Much more modern saw than the 660 or 395. It's lighter, has much better air filtration, much better anti vibe and is less thirsty than a 660. The 395 would be too heavy and it has the outboard clutch which I would not prefer on a saw this size. Decision between Husky and Stihl is the easiest in the 90cc category I think. More hairsplitting if you compare 346/261, 576/441.

Running a 372 or 390 with bars longer then 28" then a 390 is balanced better and I didn't really notice the extra weight. There is a good bump in power between them. The 390 should pull a 36" fine. They will pull a 32" with full comp just fine.

Last edited:
Runnuing a 372 or 390 with bars longer then 28" then a 390 is balanced better and I didn't really notice the extra weight. There is a good bump in power between them. The 390 should pull a 36" fine. They will pull a 32" with full comp just fine.

I agree mate. I'd pick the 390XP anyday over a 395XP. Like you've said the 390's extra weight on paper is meaningless as they balance so well.
Is the 390XP a better/nicer saw? Definately for 99% of situations.
Tougher saw? Tough call.
Only other thing to consider is down the track as there are basically NO cheap aftermarket parts available for the 390XP, unlike the 395XP.

Last edited:
Oldsawnut, yeah, they're a bit cheaper. The 390 is $975 new from my dealer, the 395 $999 new from the dealer. So a couple hundred cheaper... plus he stocks the Husky saws, not the Stihls (anything bigger than the 441 is a special order). I have nothing against the 660, but it just makes more sense I think to go Husky since the dealer 3 miles away stocks the bigger Huskies.

I would probably put on a 28" as my all around bar, with a 36" for the really big stuff.

Do you guys think the 390 would pull a 36" with authority, in solid wood (lots and lots of oak with maples thrown in)? That's a concern for me, as I am looking at these beasts for use in some good size wood (anywhere from 25"-45"). But at the same it'd be my "only" saw for a while.

Nothing against the 365, I love that saw to death. It's cut a lot of wood for me, and does fine with the 20". 24" is has a bit of trouble in heavier wood, but I guess that's to be expected from a 60cc class saw.

Can you go for a little drive to get a better deal on the Stihl MS 660? If so, you will have a "395" packaged in a "390" size saw. All the features of the 390 (minus the air filtration) with a bit more torque and HP (especially with a dual port muffler). I think the 660 may even be a tad lighter than the 390, not that it matters that much.

You've never used a 390XP have you? I can assure you that as far as handling goes the 660 is a LONG way behind the 390XP. 660's are a good, tough, reliable saw but certainly not in the same balance/handling league as the 390XP. For example the 660's are nose heavy with a 32" bar - the 390's will sit level holding a 36" bar in the air.
You may not notice the difference simply dropping into logs but in a felling situation I sold my 660's and kept my 390's :cheers:

Do you guys think the 390 would pull a 36" with authority, in solid wood (lots and lots of oak with maples thrown in)? That's a concern for me, as I am looking at these beasts for use in some good size wood (anywhere from 25"-45"). But at the same it'd be my "only" saw for a while.

The 390 will pull a 36" bar not a problem with a 7 pin rim - with bars this length I'd recommend using skip chain anyway otherwise you may have issues wth chip clearance. Even a stock Dolmar 7900 (79cc) will pull a 32" bar buried no worries and many have used them with 36" bars too (although that stretches the oiler a bit too much in my opinion).

I don't know if you have the support for a dolmar 7900 in your area or not, but at only .2 horsepower less and 2 pounds lighter than a 390 it would sure make for a good saw for your needs. Put a 28" to 32" on it and put it to work. It would be less painful for the pocketbook too. I know that I love mine. Of course I'm cutting 24 to 36 beetle killed doug fir and not oak.

:agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2:

I just swapped a 395 for a 390. I love the 390, it will pull a 28" bar buried in dry hard maple with ease. It will cut faster than the 395 in 24" stuff and alot nicer to handle. If I was in 30"+ all day I would possibly, POSSIBLY stick with a 395. CJ

I just swapped a 395 for a 390. I love the 390, it will pull a 28" bar buried in dry hard maple with ease. It will cut faster than the 395 in 24" stuff and alot nicer to handle. If I was in 30"+ all day I would possibly, POSSIBLY stick with a 395. CJ

Yup. I agree.
Even with a 32" bar the 390XP and MS660 are neck and neck too.
People have to remember that there isn't that much difference, capacity wise, between the 390XP, 395XP, and MS660.

Just some hard numbers for thought.....personally, for one saw, the 390 would be the choice. But if you are getting into the 40" territory consistantly, then keeping the 365 and adding a 395 would be my choice.

385-390

attachment.php

394-395

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The 390 is a pleasure to run with a 32" light weight bar. I would say a 36" would be just fine. I would get the stihl light bar out of the choices in that length if you want one. The oregons are a bit floppy at that length and are more fragile if you are hard on bars.

Oldsawnut, yeah, they're a bit cheaper. The 390 is $975 new from my dealer, the 395 $999 new from the dealer. So a couple hundred cheaper... plus he stocks the Husky saws, not the Stihls (anything bigger than the 441 is a special order). I have nothing against the 660, but it just makes more sense I think to go Husky since the dealer 3 miles away stocks the bigger Huskies.

I would probably put on a 28" as my all around bar, with a 36" for the really big stuff.

Nothing against the 365, I love that saw to death. It's cut a lot of wood for me, and does fine with the 20". 24" is has a bit of trouble in heavier wood, but I guess that's to be expected from a 60cc class saw.

The 395 will cope alot better in that large wood. The 390 will be ok, but the 395 more suited.

The 395 is equally as good a saw as the 390 but more robust.

A good two saw plan for medium to large wood is the 372 and 395.

The 395 will cope alot better in that large wood. The 390 will be ok, but the 395 more suited.

I agree Al. The 395 is a little heavier, but when you need the extra power, the weight is no concern.
I put a couple of tanks through mine over the weekend,,, A 28'' full comp with a 8 pin rim is a lot of fun in big hard wood. :D The 28'' balances just perfect on a 395. I usually keep a 36 on it, but had to try the 28 with an 8 pin.....just to see :laugh:.

Last edited:

Of course it all depends on the wood, and the bar that is needed! :msp_biggrin:

I agree Al. The 395 is a little heavier, but when you need the extra power, the weight is no concern.
I put a couple of tanks through mine over the weekend,,, A 28'' full comp with a 8 pin rim is a lot of fun in big hard wood. :D The 28'' balances just perfect on a 395. I usually keep a 36 on it, but had to try the 28 with an 8 pin.....just to see :laugh:.

:msp_thumbup:

Of course it all depends on the wood, and the bar that is needed! :msp_biggrin:

That's it mate. The 390 is a brilliant saw, more so modified, suits most people's needs in the larger stuff. The 395, also a brilliant saw is better suited for the larger stuff. The choice can be determined by how much and how often of this larger wood the saw will see. The 390 makes a good one saw plan when the wood is often of reasonable size, but then I know at least two blokes who ran 394's as there only saw for years. One of them bought a brand new 372 18 months ago and it doesn't get used.

Only the OP will know which saw will suit himself and his requirements.

So, I went to the Husky/Stihl dealer yesterday to get some more oil... and got to talking about the 390xp/395xp. Turns out the 390xp is $895 new, a $100 less than the 395xp. Either I misheard him the last time I was in there or it's dropped a hundred bucks since then.

Anyways, he also said he'd give me $400 for my 365. Sound like a good price? The thing is less than a year old and looks brand new, hardly a scratch on it. (I take good care of my tools, lol)

So for a 390 it'd be $556 out the door with a 24" b/c setup after the trade-in.

Sound like the way to go?

And thanks for all the replies, guys.

Sounds good to me. That's not a bad trade in for the used 365.

I have owned both.

#95 has a bit more grunt and sounds evil. I like it better. #90 might be ok modded but I don't have time for that.

Latest posts

Back