Husky 394XP chainbrake problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquan8tor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been having some trouble with my chainbrake lately, and wanted to know if anyone else has had problems with the carryover part replacement for the 394XP to 395XP brake bands.
The original band was compromised when after doing a muffler mod, I didn't screw in the spark arrestor screen retaining screw tightly enough;

the hole where the screw should've been allowed hot exhaust to exit directly onto the plastic brake handle, melting through it and activating the brake lever partway, but not making the handle click forward. hard to explain, picture doesn't do anything for it. I kept operating the saw, not realizing what had happened, and the brake band got worn through in no time. I got the part from my husky dealer, who told me when I ordered the part that the old part had been linked with the newer 395 part. I received it, and noticed that the new bands were split in the middle, and thinner than the original part. This didn't sit well with me, but I trust my dealer. Paul is a good guy, and I trust him. Well, after spending a bit of money on the new band, brake lever, and everything, it worked ok for a while, until I really used the heck out of it one week when cutting a couple cords of hardwood. The band again was worn almost all the way through.

This time, since there wasn't a problem with the spring, or obvious other malfunction, I really took care to look at all areas of the part. Being somewhat of a packrat, I kept the old band to compare to the new one. The old brake band almost sits forward about 1.5mm. That is to say, that when paired with the newer 395 band, there is some constant light contact between the clutch drum and the brake band.

I went to the dealer, with the saw this time, (I do my own repairs), and asked him to look at it, to see if I was doing something wrong. He said, well, I have a parts saw that someone seized when it was brand new, and sold me a basically new entire sideplate and brake assembly for $20. I told you he was a good guy! The new one worked fine until I looked at it recently. I cut most of my wood early in the season, so I haven't been using it much lately, but there seems to be a growing wear spot on the brake band in the same spot.

It seems to me that there are some casting differences between the 394XP and 395XP that prohibit this part being interchangeable, and maybe husqvarna doesn't know, or whatever. I can't be the only one who has had this problem. I know that it was installed correctly both times.

Anybody out there having similar problems, or at least maybe you understand the problem I'm having and could offer some advice??

For a final question for you saw techs out there, is it possible that through rigorous use and heating/cooling that the clutch drum could have actually expanded over time through severe use and wear?? I don't have a micrometer, nor do I have specs on exactly what the diameter of the OEM clutch drum should be. I thought about just replacing it, (they're cheap enough), but I wanted to get an expert opinion on this. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am worried about the drum; It doesn't really look worn but I'm guessing that with heat, friction, and centrifugal force, these things take a beating, and spread out over time. The needle bearings were changed recently, so there's very little play, but there is a tiny bit of movement there, but just barely. I'm not sure its the bearing. ???? any way to be sure?

Back