Husky 41 brake lever stuck.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNeurath

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Working on a Husky 41 for a friend.Well I got it running pretty good but the brake lever is stuck in the forward position.Anyone no whats going on here.
I can't see anything noticeably amiss.Thanks,Ron
I generally try to avoid taking things apart with big springs in them.
neurath

You have to pull the handle back until it locks, set it on the bar studs to hold it.
Don't even think about trying to take it apart.

Don't even think about trying to take it apart.

I can relate to that one. I had one apart and for the life of me I could not get it back together properly. I took two more apart from other Huskys I had to try to figure it out. All the while reading the manual too.

I finally sussed to ignore the manual and worked it out.

I wouldn't want to try again though.

Resetting the brake on my 141 feels like the saw is going to brake in half.

Take my advice - if you work on the chain brake always wear safety glasses - those springs can come ot with some force - one in the eye will do more than hurt.

Personally I usually take the spring cover off and blast the mechanism with chain cleaner, grease the spring, a bit of WD40 on the pivots and put the cover back on.

Always do the drop test to ensure the brake operates correctly and the jobs a good un.

I broke a spring on the first brake I took apart - not happy!

Spud

Im sory for intruding but i have a similar problem on my Jonsered 625 which is the cousin of husky 61, and seems to me the brake assembly is more or less the same. The problem is that the brake sets itself on if you move the chainsaw too fast, or put it in the wrong position, or let the lever go too fast...

I don't even know how to get the damn plastics off so i could see whats going on inside. It acts as if the spring is too strong. Is it a problem of dust, or is something broken inside? I don't want to invest too much in it because i want to sell it and i don't think i can get much for it.

I found this

Im sory for intruding but i have a similar problem on my Jonsered 625 which is the cousin of husky 61, and seems to me the brake assembly is more or less the same. The problem is that the brake sets itself on if you move the chainsaw too fast, or put it in the wrong position, or let the lever go too fast...

I don't even know how to get the damn plastics off so i could see whats going on inside. It acts as if the spring is too strong. Is it a problem of dust, or is something broken inside? I don't want to invest too much in it because i want to sell it and i don't think i can get much for it.

don't know if it will help anyone, but, according to the description, a youtube video of a husky 61 brake setup

Husqvarna Chain Brake - YouTube

The Husqy-style brakes with the brake in the clutch cover should never be tripped when off the saw since without the sprocket drum in place the brake band is free to compress enough to let the cocking mechanism go way past where the handle has adequate leverage for re-cocking the brake. I have seen brake handles broken because of this. Re-cocking is made easier if you can improvise a means to help compress the brake spring to take some load off the brake handle. Do not remove the spring unless you have a means of safely compressing it for re-insertion.

you can make a very simple tool out of a six point soket to reset the husky brakes with little effort and safely. I think it is a 15 16 3/8 or 1/2 drive six point. cut every other side off the socket leaving three fingers about an inch long. this will fit into the brake gear and then use ratchet or breaker bar and turn it to release to spring. I will try to post a pic of one that Ive made if any one would like to see them. You can buy them from husky but they are pricey. and we all like cutting and making things. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back