Husky 444se

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy4saws

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im finally getting together a list of parts I need for my husky 444se. I need a new piston for sure and ideally a new cylinder would be a fantastic find but we will see how it goes. Right now I haven't had any luck in finding parts so far. I was looking through the parts manuals I have and have a few questions about the piston part numbers. In the IPL it lists 3 different piston numbers and only one cylinder. i lists them as follows:
501 66 21-02(A-B)
501 6621-03(C)
501 66 21-04(D-E)
My 444 is a 1979 model and the year specific IPL doesnt explain what these letters mean. Later I cleaned the top of the original piston and found a B stamped on top. I think this means to use 501 66 21-02 piston. Any knowledge or advice on this would be greatly appreciated along with any leads as to where I might find 444 parts. I will post some pics shortly.

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 18
Isn't the 444 almost the same as the 44? I've used a OE346xp piston in a 44 with a little machining. I'm thinking you might can do the same with the 444. I had to cut about .050 from the crown IIRC. I think NMurph has done one too maybe he can remember forsure.

Yes. NMurph did, in fact, build a piston. And the cylinder in this thing looks much worse than yours even after cleaning it up. Here it is tuned rich for break in.

I have given that some thought and research myself. There is another post regarding the differences between a 44 and a 444 with pictures. The piston and cylinder along with the porting give the 444 more power than a 44. the other post shows pictures. Its labeled "husqvarna gurus, question about 44-444 pics" As you will see the left pic is the 444 and machining a 44 piston, which is on the right hand side in his pics would take alot of time and talent IMO. Yes I could install a 44 piston but it wont have the same hp or rpms, plus its not truly a 444. I want to keep this saw original as possible.

My grandfather was a husqvarna dealer for many years, and my dad and his brother worked in the shop. They sold a few of the 444, the 44 was a popular model for most and the 444 was more money. Dad said the 444 was a hoped up version of the 44 and had alot of bight for that size of saw. Needless to say im excited to get this saw running again.

Yup, now that you said that i think the 44 is an open port cylinder and the 444 is closed port cylinder. It may be your only choice though. Not any aftermarket pistons available either, not when I was looking.

Its a real shame for the 444 not having any aftermarket pistons available. Whenever I find local 444`s come up I try and buy them. A lot of folks don`t want to give them up. Good luck with your search for a piston, buy parts saws if you find em.

I have given that some thought and research myself. There is another post regarding the differences between a 44 and a 444 with pictures. The piston and cylinder along with the porting give the 444 more power than a 44. the other post shows pictures. Its labeled "husqvarna gurus, question about 44-444 pics" As you will see the left pic is the 444 and machining a 44 piston, which is on the right hand side in his pics would take alot of time and talent IMO. Yes I could install a 44 piston but it wont have the same hp or rpms, plus its not truly a 444. I want to keep this saw original as possible.

My grandfather was a husqvarna dealer for many years, and my dad and his brother worked in the shop. They sold a few of the 444, the 44 was a popular model for most and the 444 was more money. Dad said the 444 was a hoped up version of the 44 and had alot of bight for that size of saw. Needless to say im excited to get this saw running again.

I appreciate your wanting to keep your saw original, but sometimes you have to make compromises to keep them running. I would find someone to turn a 346 42mm piston. I believe I left a bit of a pop up on the one I did.

Your cylinder looks like it can be reused.

Ya I'm kinda leaning that direction myself because the search for new 444parts is going very slow. So purchase a new 346 piston and have it machined to match the 444. Question, why not use a 44 piston? Availability, more machining is needed? Just curious. Thanks for the advice!

Im finally getting together a list of parts I need for my husky 444se. I need a new piston for sure and ideally a new cylinder would be a fantastic find but we will see how it goes. Right now I haven't had any luck in finding parts so far. I was looking through the parts manuals I have and have a few questions about the piston part numbers. In the IPL it lists 3 different piston numbers and only one cylinder. i lists them as follows:
501 66 21-02(A-B)
501 6621-03(C)
501 66 21-04(D-E)
My 444 is a 1979 model and the year specific IPL doesnt explain what these letters mean. Later I cleaned the top of the original piston and found a B stamped on top. I think this means to use 501 66 21-02 piston. Any knowledge or advice on this would be greatly appreciated along with any leads as to where I might find 444 parts. I will post some pics shortly.

That's what it basically means, the letter on the cylinder and piston has to do with the exact bore diameter, and ideally should be matched.

Ya I'm kinda leaning that direction myself because the search for new 444parts is going very slow. So purchase a new 346 piston and have it machined to match the 444. Question, why not use a 44 piston? Availability, more machining is needed? Just curious. Thanks for the advice!

You could use a 44 piston, but ya probably wont find one of those either.
Buy a new 346 OE 42mm piston (not the NE edition 346 44.3mm piston). Send the new piston with the old piston to a site sponsor and have them machine the crown down to match the old piston. The pins and bearings are the same and the only thing that needs cut is about .050 thousands off the crown IIRC. Mastermind or Tlandrum can fix ya right up, Nmurph may have a lathe too. When you get it back make sure the ring end pin doesn't get in the intake port at bottom dead center....mine was close but cleared just fine.

Thanks SawTroll for confirming what I was leaning towards.

Komatsuvarna: Terry has my ms460 for a full woods port right now so I will see if he is interested in doing the piston job as well. Your idea will help keep the saw as original as I can possible keep it at this time. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks SawTroll for confirming what I was leaning towards.

Komatsuvarna: Terry has my ms460 for a full woods port right now so I will see if he is interested in doing the piston job as well. Your idea will help keep the saw as original as I can possible keep it at this time. Thanks for the advice!

Terry cut the piston for me on my 44 build.....we actually done a popup and it made 195psi. It was a good runner, right on the heels of a stock NE346xp.

Terry cut the piston for me on my 44 build.....we actually done a popup and it made 195psi. It was a good runner, right on the heels of a stock NE346xp.
I can attest to that!!
Ran it yesterday as a matter of fact! Still getting stronger! Will cut firewood that you would think such a small saw couldn't handle! Trully an amazing saw!!
Had an Orange top 44 that I bought back in the late 70's. Cut an amazing amount of firewood with it! Wife ended up with it when we got divorced in '87! Still miss it! Incredible saw!!!
Durand forgot to mention that the piston on his old saw has a Caber ring! Good luck!!
Friend of mine owns 4 44's and 2 444's! We have looked high and wide for replacement P/C's for the 444's! Not around!!!

Ive decided to not only have Terry machine a 346 piston but also dome the top as suggested by komatsuvarna to increase compression. Right now the saw is completely broke down and needs new cranks bearings so that needs completed before I can send it to him. I was surprised to find that the saw had a FAG and a NTN bearing. Both with the same ID and OD but different widths. I looked more closely at eh crank halves and notice that one side was darker than the other. So my theory is that someone replaced one of the bearings in the past or maybe used a different crank half to assemble on saw.

Does anyone know what bearings Husqvarna used in their 1979 saws. NTN or FAG?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back