Husky 450 e-series

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman308

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a mid-grade, meduim-sized saw that I will use from time to time. I will be using it for storm clean-up on the Gulf coast. I have pretty much decided on the Husqvarna 450E. The only thing I'm skeptical about is the "Tool-less" chain tensioner system. I am worried that this new feature may not be as sturdy as the traditional system. I spoke with 2 separate dealers. One said he has had no problems whatsoever with them, and the other made a good point that they hadn't been out long enough for him to offer a good opinion.

Does anyone have any experience with these and how they may hold up?

I don't think there's too much information out on the 450's yet...they're a pretty new product.

A fair amount of people are still buying 350's, as they are viewed as a tried and true, dependable saw. I looked at some 450s at lowes and was not too impressed with the build quality--it seemed like there was more plastic than there should have been.

Check if you have a decent dolmar dealer nearby. If you do, and would consider a dolmar, the ps-510 should be $30 or some small amount cheaper, and has a better build quality and pro features.

Too bad about the tool-less tensioner. I do a bit of storm cleanup and don't like the Stihl versions of these: More parts to jam up, more places to clog up and clean, hard to tension accurately, etc. The traditional nuts are simpler in the field (but carry a few extra).

Looking for a 350 is a good idea. If you don't mind spending a few $ more, the 353 is similar in size and power, but has an all metal case and a solid reputation.

Philbert

I'll let you know

I'll let you all know what I think when I get the new 450-e in a few more weeks. A long-time family friend is our local dealer, and obviously I plan to use him. Unfortunately, it looks like all the manufacturers are putting a lot more plastic on saws these days, even on their professional-grade equipment. I know the importance of a lighter, more powerful machine. I also looked at a similar, 455 Rancher at a retail store. That saw really looked more plastic than it needed to be.

If there's anyone that wants to buy my patent, I'm working on some exoskeleton designs using carbon fiber and another using Kevlar. These babies will be super lightweight and virtualy indestructable. :greenchainsaw:

Too bad about the tool-less tensioner. I do a bit of storm cleanup and don't like the Stihl versions of these: More parts to jam up, more places to clog up and clean, hard to tension accurately, etc. The traditional nuts are simpler in the field (but carry a few extra).

Looking for a 350 is a good idea. If you don't mind spending a few $ more, the 353 is similar in size and power, but has an all metal case and a solid reputation.

Philbert

:agree2: - avoid any Husky with an "e" after the model number, like any Stihl with a "C"....:monkey:

:agree2: - avoid any Husky with an "e" after the model number, like any Stihl with a "C"....:monkey:

Why is that? (In reference to the Huskys more than the Stihls. I'm looking at a 353 but the Husky website only lists 353 E-Techs, so I'm wondering how much of a problem it is if an item has been discontinued. I assume it's something about the engine not working as well because it has to emit less exhaust?)

I've run about 40 tanks through my 450e now. It's working A-1.

My chain suddenly went slack once. I tightened it but it happened again a few minutes later. There was nothing jammed in it that I could see, but I cleaned the bar and clutch cover etc., which seemed to cure it. I doubt this problem would happen with a two-bolt clamp. Otherwise, the tool-less system works very well.

Been running my 450e for a coulple of months now,going hard at it stocking up for winter.No problems at all,runs hard and fast all day,tool less tensoner is a bonus too.Have to give the 61 a run through the gears this weekend,it seems to be getting fat:chainsaw:

I picked up a used (but in very good condition) 450 (no "e") and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm running a 18 inch B/C and it has one bar nut on the side, none of that adjuster crapola, which I've used once on a friends saw... Talk about JUNK! I've only cut about 2 cord with this saw and it's been very nice to work with... Can you find the 450 non-e?

Max

May be the saws here in NZ are a different spec to the ones you get??Mine doesnt have a cat muffler,if this is what you meen by EPA(dont know if the US market ones do??) and runs fine,as for the tool less tensoner??Works fine for me,maybe you just like playing with nuts..:),

Last edited:
just wanted to add that i bought a new 450 (not E) yesterday and cut up a 30 foot downed willow tree with it....sure was smooth..like it!

Why is that? (In reference to the Huskys more than the Stihls. I'm looking at a 353 but the Husky website only lists 353 E-Techs, so I'm wondering how much of a problem it is if an item has been discontinued. I assume it's something about the engine not working as well because it has to emit less exhaust?)

The "e" after the model number means tooless chain tightening. That is different than "e-tech" after the model number which means "cleaner" EPA regulated engine. (not good).

Al :dizzy: :dizzy:

Congrats!

just wanted to add that i bought a new 450 (not E) yesterday and cut up a 30 foot downed willow tree with it....sure was smooth..like it!

I think this newer series of saws from Husky is rather interesting.
435-440-445-and 450. with the X-torq engine. I'm picking up my new 435 this weekend to use as a new trail saw, and am lookikg forward to giving it a real shake down.
I'll keep you all posted.

Al:clap::clap:

May be the saws here in NZ are a different spec to the ones you get??Mine doesnt have a cat muffler,if this is what you meen by EPA(dont know if the US market ones do??) and runs fine,as for the tool less tensoner??Works fine for me,maybe you just like playing with nuts..:),

Heh, I just don't like tool-less stuff... I feel better knowing that my bar is locked down with a nut... Having said that, I'm sure Husky made a decent tool-less design, I sure hope it was better then the Poulan that I tried a while back, that thing sucked a F!

I think this newer series of saws from Husky is rather interesting.
435-440-445-and 450. with the X-torq engine. I'm picking up my new 435 this weekend to use as a new trail saw, and am lookikg forward to giving it a real shake down.
I'll keep you all posted.

Al:clap::clap:

Will like to hear what you think. I'm pretty happy with my 450, been a good saw so far and I've put it through quite a bit of work...

M.

Must say that with my 450e,was a great saw,crisp and strong,with a few (20ish)hours on it...still sounds crisp and runs great but the slightest look at a deep cut it bogs badly,went back too the dealer and spoke to a mechanic about it,cool he say's its running a bit lean,Ill order you a screw driver to adjust the mixture(anti tamper screws-NOT limiter caps).Half an hour latter upon returning too work thinking cool,I'll sort it tonight.The parts guy rings and say NO too supplying me the tool...Husqvarna wont allow it to be sold to the public,and you cant tune it anyway,you dont have the know how or experience(funny that been a qualified motorcycle mechanic for 20yrs).Told me to bring it back in for a re-tune(with a very bad tone of voice-BIG TIME).
Anyway picked it up tonight and got home,went outside and tryed it out on my 12" pine log(sharp or not sharp tester),mmm bogs bad under the slightest hint of "load".:monkey:
Maybe should of paid the extra $500 and got a 346xp,but seeing that the saw cost $1000,that extra was way too much too even concider,its a bit different here in New Zealand,paid $750 a week,morgage,kids etc etc

Last edited:
The parts guy rings and say NO too supplying me the tool...Husqvarna wont allow it to be sold to the public

My local Napa car parts outlet is a Husky dealer, they stock the screwdriver for about $15US. I've seen them on eBay for $10 plus postage.

Here's an eBay seller who ships international, he sold me a Homelite screwdriver for $3.10 a couple of weeks ago, too bad he wants $9.99 for the Poulan version.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380098281254

Like 450 but not as much as 345e

I had a 345e for 3 years, absolutely loved it, best power tool ever. I sold it to my nephew cheap as a favor as he needed a real saw for his job. I could not find the same 345e model. I should note I don't think the "e" means the same thing it did 3 years ago. Then it meant "easy start" with the compression release button. My 450 has all of that and is NOT an "e" model. the dealer wasn't't really clear on the difference, said it was mainly no tool chain adjuster, and some of those have had problems.

Overall I am very pleased with the saw, have run about 6 tanks of gas through, it cuts aggressively. It does seem to bog just a little easier than 345, 18" bar vs. 16" bar. Been back once to "unjam" after cutting through large sticky sap running mulberry, but no problems since being sure to keep at full speed.

one problem I have had is excessive leaking bar oil in case after use, nearly covering bottom of case. Dealer says this is normal, but the 345 never did this, only small expected amount.

The 345 never failed to be easy to start, when warm, the 450 is not always as quick, sometimes take numerous pulls, where the 345 always fired on 1 pull when warm.

Latest posts

Back