Special tool to adjust carb on Husky 450 (e)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemiMoparGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This may seem like a stupid question, but it was getting dark when I was trying this. The saw has never been run in the cold like it is now, and last time it was run was a very hot day, so the carb obviously needs adjustment. It was running ok, not perfect, but I was only cutting smaller dead trees and cutting in managable pieces, not firewood, so I didn't bother to tune since it was close to dark, I just wanted to get as much cut as I could before dark. However, it got to the point it wouldn't stay running at idle, and eventually wouldn't run at all. It'd fire when trying to start, but just wouldn't take off, even when squeezing the trigger and pulling.

Now the part about the stupid question...I pulled the cover off to get a better view, but it was close to dark and I only had my phone as a flashlight, which wasn't the best for a focal need, but it appears that it takes a special screwdriver, not one of the many little orange handled flathead ones I have sitting around...it almost sppeared like a torx socket...not bit, socket, as in the screw head is male and need a female socket to adjust. The saw, I always thought it was a Husky 450e cuz I'm pretty sure the box said that, but on the saw itself is just says 450, not sure if that matters or not. I looked in the manual and it describes adjusting procedure but doesn't mention any special tool...so I dunno, maybe a sham as it says only a trained tech should adjust, and being a homeowner saw, is this a way of forcing to take it in? Or is there a cap of some sort that may come off, that I just couldn't see in the near dark? Problem is, saw is at my dad's house, don't wanna drive all the way there to analyze it more to find out I need something else. So I'd like to be more knowledgeable about the situation before I go to mess with it.

Lastly, though I can figure it out by tweaking hear and there until it sounds right, I'm not real experienced at tuning saws as I never really needed to (or atleast felt I needed to, they always ran good enough to get the job done) from what I described, can it be told exactly what I should adjust?

Thanks Guys,

Eric

i think this is the tool you need for that one..
Carb Adjusting Tool Part 530035560 Weedeater Carburetor Tool | eBay
and on newer saws you have to tune it using a tach

Cool (kinda), thanks...so there IS a special tool, b@$t@rds, but yes, looking at the pic, it looks about like I imagined from what I could see on the saw. Would this possibly be available at the dealer for comparable costs of eBay, to kinda equalize the wait for shipping...or will they likely not sell it to me?

Next question...tach? What is a good one for home owner use? Though I am getting CAD bad thanks to you guys, and will be making some heavy purchases in the relatively near future as I find smoking deals, I highly doubt I will use any saws I have or will have more than the average homeowner with wooded property. So I don't need the best tach or anything, just somethign good enough.

Thanks Again

i got mine from a dealer, the only resin he sold it to me is because he knew me..
you can try and see if they'll bite

i had a cheepo tach from flea bay it was ok but the problem was it had a lagg of about 2sec. for the reading to level out.
most guys are spending about $100 for a good one

if you get into older saws don't use the tach on them. this is from aaron's sig i think it says it the best..
Eccentric said:
Don't tune old saws with a tach!
Tune the H side so that it burbles (four strokes) at WOT unloaded and just cleans up when under load. When you lift cutting pressure, the saw should revert to four stroking.

i got mine from a dealer, the only resin he sold it to me is because he knew me..
you can try and see if they'll bite

i had a cheepo tach from flea bay it was ok but the problem was it had a lagg of about 2sec. for the reading to level out.
most guys are spending about $100 for a good one

if you get into older saws don't use the tach on them. this is from aaron's sig i think it says it the best..

What is the definition of an older saw in respect to using a tach? Take a look at my signature for the saws I am looking to get and let me know if a good tach is worthwhile to me, if the saws I want are new enough, I wouldn't mind buying a good one, but if not I'll prolly just buy a cheap one for now.

where in MI are you? I have one you can use to get your saw done.

This is the tach I have. Fast-Tach wireless tachometer part no. DTI-FT100 made by Design Technology, Inc
The dealer I asked said they had used a small section of copper flex tube to fit over the adjusting screws until they got the tool.

I live near Flint. I really appreciate the offer, but Williamston is a little far to drive for a job I am doing for free. Thanks though.

And, Thanks for the replies

Eric

My kids bought me a new 450 for Christmas as I am having problems with my 1977 Stihl 031av. Rather had a Stihl, but the kids bought it, right? Anyway, I went to the dealer for oil and an extra sawchain, and asked for the above mentioned tool. He said " I can't sell it to you, would be a Federal EPA violation", My answer, how do adjust the carb, reply "bring it in".

Going to have 031 Stihl questions, thats another post.

You can get the tool off of E Bay and amazon and stuff it only cost a few bucks, not a big deal. I real like my 450.

Latest posts

Back