Husky 450 e-series

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AS far as the 450 you will like it, awesome little saws and don't worry about the stuff you here that the 350 is better. I have one of each right now the 350 is one I got for my bro and the 450 is just as good a saw in my opinion! I like them both a lot! As far as the e series I would say troll Is correct In that you want the non e model. Mine is 450 xtorq ,no tool-less chain tensioner!

Why is that? (In reference to the Huskys more than the Stihls. I'm looking at a 353 but the Husky website only lists 353 E-Techs, so I'm wondering how much of a problem it is if an item has been discontinued. I assume it's something about the engine not working as well because it has to emit less exhaust?)

Don't worry about the 'E'. That means they have the cat exhaust. They are absolutely no problem. The only thing you need to do is run the recommended oil, Husky or Stihl. The features that never get mentioned is the clean exhaust. Much more healthy to operate.
ZG

I had a 345e for 3 years, absolutely loved it, best power tool ever. I sold it to my nephew cheap as a favor as he needed a real saw for his job. I could not find the same 345e model. I should note I don't think the "e" means the same thing it did 3 years ago. Then it meant "easy start" with the compression release button. My 450 has all of that and is NOT an "e" model. the dealer wasn't't really clear on the difference, said it was mainly no tool chain adjuster, and some of those have had problems.

Overall I am very pleased with the saw, have run about 6 tanks of gas through, it cuts aggressively. It does seem to bog just a little easier than 345, 18" bar vs. 16" bar. Been back once to "unjam" after cutting through large sticky sap running mulberry, but no problems since being sure to keep at full speed.

one problem I have had is excessive leaking bar oil in case after use, nearly covering bottom of case. Dealer says this is normal, but the 345 never did this, only small expected amount.

The 345 never failed to be easy to start, when warm, the 450 is not always as quick, sometimes take numerous pulls, where the 345 always fired on 1 pull when warm.

That surprises me!! My 450 would smoke my 345 no comparison. I do like the 345 s , just sold my last one but the 350 and 450 are quite a bit more saw in my opinion. My 450 will at least cut as good as the 350 and maybe even a little more torque, its a screaming little saw!

Other than being slightly harder to start when warm, which is still unmeasurably better than disposable models, and the excessive bar oil leakage, I do love this saw. I think the extra EPA stuff is unnecessary, with properly mixed fuel, and quality mix oil, both my 345 and this saw run perfectly clean.

That surprises me!! My 450 would smoke my 345 no comparison. I do like the 345 s , just sold my last one but the 350 and 450 are quite a bit more saw in my opinion. My 450 will at least cut as good as the 350 and maybe even a little more torque, its a screaming little saw!

I should note that I can hear and feel the difference in power of the 450 over the 345. You wouldn't think 10% increase in CC would be noticable, but it is.

I should note that I can hear and feel the difference in power of the 450 over the 345. You wouldn't think 10% increase in CC would be noticable, but it is.

Yes there is a diff in power, the 350 and 450 just are a little more on torque to me they hang in there quite a bit longer on the bigger wood than the 345. I am not knocking your 345 though, actually I stick up for the little 345/350 all the time! You usually here how cheap they are built and so on but I think they are great saws for the price! I run the heck out of mine. Like I said though my 450 has a non cat muffler I have not ran a 350 or 450 with a catt.

FWIW I have a 450e Husky but it has the bolt for the bar not the tooless 'feature'. When I purchased my saw last year, the dealer had 450e with and without the tooless so I went traditional. My general feeling is that 'less is more' with a lot of these 'features'.

I have found the saw to work well for my needs -- felling smaller trees, bucking, cleaning up, etc. Compared to the old Jonsred I had (something around 70cc), it's got a lot less power, but my back is much, much happier :) . The pico chain that it came with is not an aggressive cutter like other standard chains, so one could improve on that by switching the chain.

My understanding is that the e-series also indicates engines with lower emissions and reduced fuel consumption. I realize that many folks still may not think that emissions of their small engines are not that important, but bear in mind that small engines put out much more climate-changing emissions per cc than do automobile and other vehicle emissions. In fact, running a lawn mower for a few hours is equivalent (in terms of emissions) as driving a car for 200 miles! This is due to the lack of catalytic converters and other emission-reducing technologies that are lacking in most small engines -- especially those not sold in CA.

no longer leaking

I just thought I would post a follow up. Now that I have run 6 or 8 tanks of gas through the 450, it's not leaving a puddle of oil from the bar area in the case anymore. Must have been a "newness" issue.

It is still harder to start when warm sometimes, disappoingly so. I think part is that often when I set it down, it tends to lay on side rather than stand up, it may be draining the carb bowl. I will pay attention to this and see if it makes a difference.

FWIW I have a 450e Husky but it has the bolt for the bar not the tooless 'feature'. When I purchased my saw last year, the dealer had 450e with and without the tooless so I went traditional. My general feeling is that 'less is more' with a lot of these 'features'.

I have found the saw to work well for my needs -- felling smaller trees, bucking, cleaning up, etc. Compared to the old Jonsred I had (something around 70cc), it's got a lot less power, but my back is much, much happier :) . The pico chain that it came with is not an aggressive cutter like other standard chains, so one could improve on that by switching the chain.

My understanding is that the e-series also indicates engines with lower emissions and reduced fuel consumption. I realize that many folks still may not think that emissions of their small engines are not that important, but bear in mind that small engines put out much more climate-changing emissions per cc than do automobile and other vehicle emissions. In fact, running a lawn mower for a few hours is equivalent (in terms of emissions) as driving a car for 200 miles! This is due to the lack of catalytic converters and other emission-reducing technologies that are lacking in most small engines -- especially those not sold in CA.
:agree2:I own 3 450's with the one stud chain adjuster. GREAT SAW in my opinion!!

I just thought I would post a follow up. Now that I have run 6 or 8 tanks of gas through the 450, it's not leaving a puddle of oil from the bar area in the case anymore. Must have been a "newness" issue.

It is still harder to start when warm sometimes, disappoingly so. I think part is that often when I set it down, it tends to lay on side rather than stand up, it may be draining the carb bowl. I will pay attention to this and see if it makes a difference.

Weird about the starting issues but maybe it could be the way you store it. My 450 starts all the time perfectly cold... It's def. cold blooded for a little while but once it warms up she rips nicely... Mine too would drip some oil too in the begining of the saws life... But that has seem to have gone away... I'm pretty sure they mention it in the manual. My Dolmar sometimes does it too... excess oil I guess... Still, pretty happy with my 450, ran in the other day to buck some logs... :)

M.

Mine seemed to have excessive oil drip also. I talked to the guys at the shop where I bought it, and they took the saw in to check it out. They reported they found no leak but that it's important to keep the area on the saw body where the oil gets pumped to the chain clean and free of debris. (sorry, don't know the correct name for the part.)

Anyway, I found that following their advice was the ticket. The amount of oil drip I get now is significantly less than before.

Weird about the starting issues but maybe it could be the way you store it. My 450 starts all the time perfectly cold... It's def. cold blooded for a little while but once it warms up she rips nicely... Mine too would drip some oil too in the begining of the saws life... But that has seem to have gone away... I'm pretty sure they mention it in the manual. My Dolmar sometimes does it too... excess oil I guess... Still, pretty happy with my 450, ran in the other day to buck some logs... :)

M.

Same here !! But I do know mine seems to be really touchy as far as carb adjustments, it dosent take much to throw it out of wack!

M.
:agree2: 2 of mine start great but the third one is a bear when its cold !!!!! :monkey: Looking for the problem still. I know it's a fuel/carb problem.:Eye:

Don't worry about the 'E'. That means they have the cat exhaust. They are absolutely no problem. The only thing you need to do is run the recommended oil, Husky or Stihl. The features that never get mentioned is the clean exhaust. Much more healthy to operate.
ZG

"E series" is different from "E-tech" or "E-tech II", the "E series" has the tool-less chain tensioner.

"E series" is different from "E-tech" or "E-tech II", the "E series" has the tool-less chain tensioner.

I have an ''E series" -- with the E-tech technology, but it's def. not tool- less. Like I said above, when I purchased mine, there were 455e with and without the tool-less at my dealer.

I recently was getting parts for mine (sprocket, etc.) and spoke to a mechanic at Bailey's to find the part numbers I needed because I didn't see the 450 listed at all on their parts section. He told me there weren't a lot of 450e made. He said he 'rarely sees them. He also told me that a lot of the part numbers were the same as the 455.

Latest posts

Back