Husky 455 with 20" Oregon Rim Sprocket, Bar and chain is LOOSE!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russrock7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I picked up a Husky 455 from a guy used in really good shape. It needed some fuel lines and stuff but has a good looking engine.

The problem is the chain is loose and there is no more room to adjust it tighter!!

The bar is a 3/8 .050 20" Oregon bar(200SLHK095), a 3/8 .050 20" chain 72 links with '80' stamped on the guides(it still measures 3/8" between rivets) and a 3/8 7 tooth rim sprocket.

The guy said "Oh, the chain probably just got stretched", but it measures correctly.

So do I get a new chain? I looked up the bar and it should be OK on the 455.

I can't find anything on the site and Oregon Bar Match doesn't give me any insights.

Thanks for any suggestions

P.S.
I just found another site with some details on the bar. It says 20" Laminated sprocket nose bar .050" gauge 3/8" 70 DL
Is the chain .325?!?!? I can't tell.

Last edited:
these things sometimes dont oil a 20" so good, then the chain wares until the bars out of adjustment

The chain is a Husqvarna 3/8, I just measured it again. The bar has '72DL' stamped into it.....

So I'm stumped again.

Last edited:
Heck yes they sell a 20" bar in both 70 DL and in 72 DL. I have found it to be very common. So just get a chain with 70 DL in 3/8 .050 and you will be good to go.

How much play in chain?

The chain is a Husqvarna 3/8, I just measured it again. The bar has '72DL' stamped into it.....

So I'm stumped again.

Measure again with the chain on the bar, pushing the 2 end cutters together, then measure after puling them apart. I had a barely used chain that was on a second hand saw, and the rivets were so worn I could move it nearly the full length of a cutter over about 6" of chain.
There was no adjustment left on that bar either, but no point pulling a link our two out as it will just booger up your drive sprocket.

Count them?

The stamp is on the bar.

Measure again with the chain on the bar, pushing the 2 end cutters together, then measure after puling them apart. I had a barely used chain that was on a second hand saw, and the rivets were so worn I could move it nearly the full length of a cutter over about 6" of chain.
There was no adjustment left on that bar either, but no point pulling a link our two out as it will just booger up your drive sprocket.

There is a small amount of play with some of the links. It might have 1/4 inch of difference through the length of the chain.

I have a call in to Oregon. Hopefully I will hear something next week. The confusing thing is that I've seen a few different references about the number of links required for this bar.

The bar, rim and chain. Husky 20" chain, 72dl (yes, I counted them :) ), '80' stamped on it (whatever that means).

View attachment 311166

The bar adjustment ALL the way forward

View attachment 311167

The slack in the chain. It got even worse after I ran it for a minute.

View attachment 311168

Maybe I'll go to Lowe's and buy a chain. If it doesn't fix it, I just return it!

I should have taken some pic's of this saw when I got it. It's a 2006 model but it had dirt in it from 2003, that's how bad it was. It got a replacement chain break spring, I'm guessing the prev owner opened up the chain break and the spring sprang out but they didn't put it back in, its kind of a b*tch and I always injure myself at least once doing it. Needed a few fuel lines and a filter. Got a new decomp valve as the original one was a little loose.

Once this chain problem is resolved I can finally get it on Craigslist.

I appreciate all the positive suggestions and advice from you all. What a great resource for nubs like me!

Last edited:
I hate H80 chain almost as much as I hate safety chain. Rakers are a PITA to get right. I will use it cause I'm frugal. Frugal sounds better than cheap.
Shep

Latest posts

Back