Husky 51 questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know the answers are on this site somewhere, but the search function and I are not getting along.

Other than the 55, are there any other models that can swap a cylinder with a 51?

I picked one up for $20 and looks brand new, but only 90lbs compression. There doesn't seem to be much scoring, so not exactly sure what happened. Definitely not a lean fuel problem, or at least I don't think.

Any idea what a new OEM p&c goes for? I see the aftermarket ones for around $100, but if the difference isn't that great I would go with the better cylinder. Thanks in advance.

I know the answers are on this site somewhere, but the search function and I are not getting along.

Other than the 55, are there any other models that can swap a cylinder with a 51?

I picked one up for $20 and looks brand new, but only 90lbs compression. There doesn't seem to be much scoring, so not exactly sure what happened. Definitely not a lean fuel problem, or at least I don't think.

Any idea what a new OEM p&c goes for? I see the aftermarket ones for around $100, but if the difference isn't that great I would go with the better cylinder. Thanks in advance.

Jred 490, 590, Partner 500, 5000,5000+ , Husky 50,51,55......to name a few.......Becareful with bigger on the 50's

What are you willing to pay for OEM 55 with deco.....

Use the intake ,exhaust from saw your working on.......

Than again what do I know Im into all brands:) :)

Last edited:
Not the 50 Husky! With the exception of one rare model all the 50's I have seen have a different bolt pattern and a smaller cylinder opening......Bob

Are you talking white top or???

I had a dark top 50 that was converted to a 55 before I got it......

Last edited:
Jred 490, 590, Partner 500, 5000,5000+ , Husky 50,51,55......to name a few.......Becareful with bigger on the 50's

What are you willing to pay for OEM 55 with deco.....

Use the intake ,exhaust from saw your working on.......

Than again what do I know Im into all brands:) :)

Do you have a 55 with decomp?

This conversation interests me, I have a white top rancher 50 in need of a piston, or a P & C. I asked a while back about an upgrade to a higher cc and didn't get much feed back other than a couple Partner models that were obscure to me.

Talk to me about options, this saw looks to have had little hours on it and needs to be brought back from the dead.

Steve, have you got what I need? PM me with costs.

Dan

You can certainly upgrade to a closed port Jonsered 490 or Partner 5000+ which will be the same 44mm bore and 49cc displacement. It is a speed and power upgrade because of the closed port cylinder/piston design. The Partner 500 and 5000 piston or cylinder will also bolt right on and I believe will be very similar to the original Husky 50 design which was open transfer port although there could be small differences which affect the performance. All of these saws were good performers. The larger 45mm (Husky 51) or 46mm (Husky 55) will likely require modification if you have an early Husky 50 because the outside diameter at the base of the cylinder is larger on these later models. Some of the later Husky 50's may have had the larger casing bore which will accept the larger 45 and 46 mm cylinders. I believe I have at lease one of each type.

I'm just looking at making a saw work is all. I note what you say and understand that I have the older saw.

I look at what I have and really don't want to consign it to the junk pile. It cost me little and came as part of a lot with other saws, so I'm willing to spend a little $ on it to get it working again.

The 44mm pistons are easy and reasonable to come by. However if your cylinder is toasted that's a new ball game. A good 44cc Husky cylinder is very hard to find. They are open port but the engine responds well to mild porting and a compression increase via no gasket. The muffler isn't nearly as good as the 55 but can be modded. The 50 is often over looked but is a good performer never the less......Bob

Latest posts

Back