Husky 55 new piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrench191

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am going to take my 55 apart to rering it.If it has the closed port cylinder and needs a piston I guess they are hard to find.I know the piston needs to be windowed.My question is will a stihl 028 piston 46mm work?

I am going to take my 55 apart to rering it.If it has the closed port cylinder and needs a piston I guess they are hard to find.I know the piston needs to be windowed.My question is will a stihl 028 piston 46mm work?

Click on the Northwood link above this screen, go to Husqvarna parts, piston kits, and scroll until you find the Husky 55 piston. Bailey's may also have it, so I would use the listed part.

Finding a piston for a closed port cylinder os not that simple!A lot of people are trying to find one.That is why I wondered if the stihl 028 piston 46mm work?It is windowed for the closed port design.
Stihl 028 (after 1984)

Replaces part number 1118 030 2003

Bore 45.97mm

Height 38.5mm

Head Type Crowned (3mm)

Piston Pin 10mm x 31.5mm x 6mm

Rings 46mm x 1.5mm (Caber Std G15H)

Compression/Pin Top to top of Piston 15mm

Compression/Pin Center to top of Piston 20mm

I know I am a newbie here but I ask a question and I am given simple answers that dont seem to be correct.First I ask about a windowed piston and am told to look up a nonwindowed piston.Then I am told the piston for the husky 55 is a mm too big.I thought
it was 46mm oem size.I looked it up and this is what I got.

Husqvarna 55 Chainsaw Technical Specifications

Model
Husqvarna 55
Engine

single-cylinder two-stroke
Capacity
53cc
Bore
46mm
Stroke

32mm

If it is a closed port, it would probably be a 45mm bore. It would also be made between 98 and 01. Do you know for sure that it's a closed port?

I have not taken it apart yet. I thank you for some information that I can use.Everthing I had found said it would be 46mm. I just wanted some information not yes ,no too big.

As has been said, the closed port 55 is the same P&C as the 590 Jonsered and is 45MM.......open port 55 is 46MM.....now as far as a stihl piston is concerned I believe there is one that will fit...however if I remember correctly it is not "drop in"....I have never done this but have read threads on it and I think you have to turn a "pop up" on the piston to achieve the correct squish.......but don't take my word for it....use the search engine..there are threads on here concerning this issue.....I think Jerry (pioneerguy600) did one a while back....maybe PM him..again this may be incorrect info.....operating from memory...not experience......

Does anyone know anything about this piston?
It is a windowed piston that sells for about 30.00
Piston fit ZENOAH-KOMATSU G 500, G 5200 (45mm) [#288041110]

My Husky 55 has an open port cylinder/piston. Until you take yours apart and confirm what you have, there is no sense looking for parts. Is your cylinder ok and just the piston bad? How do you know?

You can tell a open port cylinder from a closed port by just taking the top cover off, look at the cooling fins around the air injection pipe. The open port cylinder will have three complete fins on the very top and all others are cut away. The closed port will only have the bottom three fins cut away, the top 5-6 are complete.

The 55epa (aka closed port) was built from 98-01 and did in fact have a 45mm bore.

Took me a while to dig this picture out of my "vault"........ It was originally post by member Wigglesworth on 01/30/2011. Closed port is on the left, look at the right hand corner of each cylinder to see the cut away fins.

So Roanoker494 is still alive? Haven't seen you on here forever!

I am starting to come back around some, been having a little issue with bone cancer.

Last edited:
Took me a while to dig this picture out of my "vault"........ It was originally post by member Wigglesworth on 01/30/2011. Closed port is on the left, look at the right hand corner of each cylinder to see the cut away fins.

I am starting to come back around some, been having a little issue with bone cancer.

Dang, that sounds like an understatement! Sorry to hear that but glad you're back online.

As has been said, the closed port 55 is the same P&C as the 590 Jonsered and is 45MM.......open port 55 is 46MM.....now as far as a stihl piston is concerned I believe there is one that will fit...however if I remember correctly it is not "drop in"....I have never done this but have read threads on it and I think you have to turn a "pop up" on the piston to achieve the correct squish.......but don't take my word for it....use the search engine..there are threads on here concerning this issue.....I think Jerry (pioneerguy600) did one a while back....maybe PM him..again this may be incorrect info.....operating from memory...not experience......

There has recently been other threads on this, and I have been informed the 55 closed port 45mm cylinder is not exactly the same as the 590 one, the combustion chamber is larger. However, I believe the piston will fit. The problem with that, is that one is at least as difficult to find as a CP 55 one....

..... Many people think a Husky 55 45mm closed port is the same as a 590. It is not, they use the same mold, but the Husky's have different timing numbers and a larger combustion chamber. They are still good, just not as hot as a true 590 top. ....

I am not sure that anyone on here has been able to find a really good solution, even though lot of options have been discussed.

It was the first EPA version of the 55 that had the closed port 45mm top end, instead of the common open port 46mm one. Relatively few of those were made.

Last edited:
I have a 55 Rancher with the 46 mm piston. I got the saw for free with a scored piston; however, the cylinder "looked" good and measured the same diameter everywhere I checked so I put in a new piston kit. Bad idea. I doubt it ran 10 hours before that piston went bad. Now that I've replaced both P&C (Baileys) the saw runs fine. But my free saw isn't so free now.

I would look real hard at that cylinder when you get it apart. If you see any streaks or wear at all near the muffler port I'd recommend you just pony up for both a P&C, or trash the saw.

John

I have a 55 Rancher with the 46 mm piston. I got the saw for free with a scored piston; however, the cylinder "looked" good and measured the same diameter everywhere I checked so I put in a new piston kit. Bad idea. I doubt it ran 10 hours before that piston went bad. Now that I've replaced both P&C (Baileys) the saw runs fine. But my free saw isn't so free now.

I would look real hard at that cylinder when you get it apart. If you see any streaks or wear at all near the muffler port I'd recommend you just pony up for both a P&C, or trash the saw.

John

I've cleaned up more 55 cylinders than I can count on two hands and put new pistons in, and they've ran a long time with no issues. Sounds like either your cylinder needed some cleaning up that it didn't get, or there was a problem with the assembly. I've got 3 more 55's in the shop right now that are going to get the same treatment, cleanup cylinders, install meteor piston's with caber rings, and OEM clips leakdown test and then run the crap out of them.

Back