Husky 55 Purchase, or ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Brad,
I spent a year repeating carb adjustment procedures till somebody posted a link to this page.
http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm
Very straight forward, complete carb adjustment procedures. Bookmark it for future reference (or to answer when the next guy asks the same question).
:D

The 353 will probably be a smoother running saw than the 55, and will turn about 1000 more rpms.

55/55r will have more low end grunt, and has a magnesium crankcase. 353 has a plastic/polymer crankcase. The 55 will be slightly more durable IMO, and the 353 may cut a bit faster (as long as it isnt bogged) and will be a little lighter and smoother.

As far as the muffler and emissions thing, yes the 55 muff is restrictive and quiet. Thats why I had mine opened up:p

My 55 (1997 model) has no plastic limiter caps. Dont know if a brand new one does, but I would say probably. The 353 has them for sure, and they are probably difficult to remove since it is a brand new design.

HTH

I try to be thick-skinned, Frank.  Sometimes it's easier than others.  I'm not as successful at trying not to be an arse since I often forget I need to do that.

When I popped my head into the shop to pick up my couple-dollar piece of plastic, they were populating the shelf with some new saws.  I got to fondle the 280 and it almost made me late for where I was going next.  I plan to spend a little more time looking it over real good tomorrow (later today).  Preliminary impression is it's got nice proportions and weight - looks to be a winner.  It's got both rubber and coil spring isolators, and I saw what must be that pin someone was earlier saying was to prevent other types of bars being installed.  If it's indeed the same pin, I'd say it has to be solely to limit relative movement between the handle and crankcase units so as to prevent unseating the rubbers.

Glen

Originally posted by HUSKYMAN
55/55r will have more low end grunt, and has a magnesium crankcase. 353 has a plastic/polymer crankcase.
Huskyman,
You sure about this? I know the 351 had a magnesium crankcase...

The 353 does use a MG/AL alloy crankcase - same one that has been used for years apparently.

Regarding the lower dB level production of the 55R, the Husky rep suggested the lower max RPM rating of this saw might very well be the reason for the lower sound level production.

I think I'm going with the 353.

Brad

Go for it. It's just a saw, right. If your like a lot of us on the list, you'll have several more before long anyway.;)

Good choice Brad, let us know how it works out. I have had no problems with my 351, good saw for 50cc class

Husky 55 purchase or ??

you guys might think i'm nuts but i like my 55 rancher better then my 346xp I am thinking of getting another saw just to play with something 4.0 - 4.6 hp range i want to keep under 13.5 lbs and $600 it's just a toy i like nice things

you guys might think i'm nuts but i like my 55 rancher better then my 346xp I am thinking of getting another saw just to play with something 4.0 - 4.6 hp range i want to keep under 13.5 lbs and $600 it's just a toy i like nice things

This tread is pretty old.......:buttkick:

...but tou seem like a perfect candidate for a MS361.........:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
This threadis pretty old.......:buttkick:

...but tou seem like a perfect candidate for a MS361.........:greenchainsaw:

Holy cow, no kidding! But FWIW, the 353 has worked out fine for me over the course of the last 3.5 years. I've probably cut about 10 cords with it, so clearly I'm an amateur.

What's a MS361?

Anyone care to provide an updated link for the carb adjustment? (The one indicated above is NFG).

Holy cow, no kidding! But FWIW, the 353 has worked out fine for me over the course of the last 3.5 years. I've probably cut about 10 cords with it, so clearly I'm an amateur.

What's a MS361?

Anyone care to provide an updated link for the carb adjustment? (The one indicated above is NFG).

It is a 59cc pro quality Stihl, probably the most popular saw on this forum.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back