Husky 55 Rancher Issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSM

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This year my fathers Poulan Pro 285 finally called it quits, after 18 years, so for fathers day we gave him a Husky 55 Rancher. The first time he went to use the saw it was hard to start and when it did start it would die out as soon as you would give it any gas. I brought it back to the dealer who adjusted the carb settings and it seemed to work. This weekend we where bucking some firewood and I noticed now when he first starts it and goes to make a cut it bogs out and almost dies for a split second and then it comes back and responds like it should. This would happen every time after he started it, even after an hour of cutting.

I guess what I am wondering is do I have to adjust the card settings again and if so is this normal for a new saw? By the way I have been using high-octane fuel and have about six tanks through her now. Thanks

if your not to far from the dealer i would bring it back and let them mess with it. i did not have an issue with my 55 but my father did. he only had to have his adjusted once so far. i guess after your first ten hours of use your supposed to bring it in for an adjustment anyway???

Try adjusting the idle screw marked "T"

One of my Husky's would start and the minute I gave it gas it would bog and then it would take another 4-5 pulls to get it to start. I turned the Idle screw and the problem went away. I think that I increased the Idle speed by about 1/8-1/4 turn but not sure.

My 55 likes to be tuned to 3,200rpm idle, even though the book says it should be 2500rpm. The engagement speed is 3500rpm, and my "higher" idle starts like a charm, both cold and warm without engaging the clutch.

With it being a brand new saw it also needs a good 5 to 10 tanks of gas so the rings will seat. That could be part of the problem. Ive seen alot of saws that are a :censored: to start/run untill they were broken in. The most recent one being my dads husky 350.

the 55 rancher is not a new saw.......correct me if i am wrong, but it has been replace by the 455.
so this saw has some age. i would check all the rubbers for creaks and breaks

clean out carb as well

Last edited:
The 55 may still be available in Newfoundland. Be sure the saw is a 55 and not a 455.

455's run much leaner and will bog when not warmed up. If its a 55 a simple 1/8 turn on the LO screw ought to fix the problem. If the saw is in fact new, make the dealer fix it though so the problems are documented

All fixed up!

Hi guys, Thanks for all the help. I brought the saw back to the dealer and five minuets later I was out the door. She was running a little lean.

As someone else has mentioned it is a brand new saw, for some reason the 55 and the 455 are available here. However the dealer was saying this looks like the last year for the 55, at least around here.

Latest posts

Back