Husky 55 Rancher, Stilh MS290 or Echo CS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newcottager

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for some help on choosing a chainsaw. I've got an old Dolmar sachs 111 that needs to be retired and looking to get something else and have recently looked at the husky 55, stilh ms290 and Echo cs440. Wondering that you folks think about them? It would be just for occasional use at the cottage. Something dependable, the logs would be cedar, pine, fir...about lamp post to telephone post in width.

The prices here seem to be the husky for about $500, the stilh for about $499 and the Echo for $449.00

Any help/info is appreciated.

rob

The prices here seem to be the husky for about $500, the stilh for about $499 and the Echo for $449.00

rob

Why did you select those 3 models? Are those the only brands sold locally? Did the salesmen suggest those models to you?

+1 on the 290, used mine for 4 years of weekend work, never let me down. Whichever one you choose, follow ALL the maintenance tips you find here on AS (clean filter, fresh gas, sharp chain and don't store the saw for months with gas in it) and most of them will make you happy; UNTIL you want more power! . Dealer support is important! Watch out for the addiction!!:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Why did you select those 3 models? Are those the only brands sold locally? Did the salesmen suggest those models to you?

No real reason..the salesmen was leaning towards the Husky and the Stilh...he had also mentioned the husky 353....said it was faster but didn;t have the torque of the 55. Being a casual user i didn;t want to go over board in terms of price but at the same time i do want something reliable and dependable (my cottage is 1.5 hours from the nearest town I want some that works). I mentioned i felt i need at least a 16" bar but was probably leaning towards an 18"...and the chain pitch (i think that's what its called) at least 3/8" ( I think i read that cuts better?)....anyways with that info and the size of logs i'd be cutting for fire wood, we ended up with those two models....but I appreciate any other suggestions.

Last edited:
Well...I was being a bit scarcastic on the 290...There would be several other Stihl models that would be a better choice...like a MS250, MS260 Pro or a MS280.

You will find Stihl commands slightly higher prices than other saws initially, but the resale value is generally higher.

I think the Husky 353 is the best saw out of the 455 Rancher, MS290 or Echo 440. I think the best 'bang for your buck' saw on the market is a Dolmar 5100S, but if you don't have a dealer near by, that can be a problem for some. I like Shindaiwa saws - the Shindaiwa 488 is a bulletproof saw, absolutely ideal for your use in my opinion. They are durable, strong runners, and very dependable. The MS260 is also a good saw with a proven track record.

You need to decide on 3 criteria.

1) Budget - decide how much you want to spend...this will be an occasional use tool for you, correct?

2) Dealer support - is this important to you?

3) Quality of build - check out the fit and finish of all the saws you are considering. Touch them, see how they feel. What features do you like, dislike. Does one seem really cheap and low quality compared to the other.

The major thing against the 290 is the fact that it is consumer grade saw...just like the 455 Husky. The 353 Husky is likely comparable in price, and a MUCH better choice than the 455. A 359 Husky is also a very good saw...but, again, the 5100 Dolmar has great power, a LOW price tag, and is favored by so many in the 50cc range that you should really at least read about it here, or on the Dolmar website.

Good luck, Josh

flip a coin

I would buy the 55 rancher just because it feels better than the 290. They're no longer sold in the US due to emissions but you can still get them in Canada. The 55 is also one of the last farm/ranch occasional use saws that has a metal crankcase. I have a 51 that I like a lot and it just seems like an old school no no-nonsense machine without catalytic cook top muffler and super restricted carb BS! But the 290 farmboss is also a good saw for your purposes. By the way, unless they changed the 55, you can get a ton of parts for either one of those saws.

Looking for some help on choosing a chainsaw. I've got an old Dolmar sachs 111 that needs to be retired and looking to get something else and have recently looked at the husky 55, stilh ms290 and Echo cs440. Wondering that you folks think about them? It would be just for occasional use at the cottage. Something dependable, the logs would be cedar, pine, fir...about lamp post to telephone post in width.

rob
I run a sachs dolmar 111 quite a bit and also a husky 55. I have made a few cuts with the 029's, none with cs440 so I can't speak for the echo.
As far as the others I like the 111 your replacing the best. As far as the 55 I bought new I had a lot of problems with and besides that it wasn't what I expected from reading the specs. The 290 will probably do what you want, but I would say your 111 is built better in most ways and has about the same power with much less weight. I am impressed with what people pay for used 029's and 290's both on ebay and local auctions.
In stihl I like the o25 or ms250 for what you say but I do not think it would work best with 3/8. I agree the ms260 or 280 would be better choices but cost would be higher.( I have run all 3 ) Makita has a saw that looks similar to the 111 if you have a local dealer might check it out. A good dependable used saw if you can find one could save you some bucks. Parts availability would be a primary concern with service especially if you have 1 saw.
Somebody else will have to speak for the cs440 since I wouldn't know what to say on it.

Well...I was being a bit scarcastic on the 290...There would be several other Stihl models that would be a better choice...like a MS250, MS260 Pro or a MS280.

You will find Stihl commands slightly higher prices than other saws initially, but the resale value is generally higher.

I think the Husky 353 is the best saw out of the 455 Rancher, MS290 or Echo 440. I think the best 'bang for your buck' saw on the market is a Dolmar 5100S, but if you don't have a dealer near by, that can be a problem for some. I like Shindaiwa saws - the Shindaiwa 488 is a bulletproof saw, absolutely ideal for your use in my opinion. They are durable, strong runners, and very dependable. The MS260 is also a good saw with a proven track record.

You need to decide on 3 criteria.

1) Budget - decide how much you want to spend...this will be an occasional use tool for you, correct?

2) Dealer support - is this important to you?

3) Quality of build - check out the fit and finish of all the saws you are considering. Touch them, see how they feel. What features do you like, dislike. Does one seem really cheap and low quality compared to the other.

The major thing against the 290 is the fact that it is consumer grade saw...just like the 455 Husky. The 353 Husky is likely comparable in price, and a MUCH better choice than the 455. A 359 Husky is also a very good saw...but, again, the 5100 Dolmar has great power, a LOW price tag, and is favored by so many in the 50cc range that you should really at least read about it here, or on the Dolmar website.

Good luck, Josh

thxs for all the info everyone. I definitely have things to think about. Josh to answer your questions..

1. occasional use

2. dealer support is important

3. i'll take into consideration number three

btw its a 55 rancher not a 455...they still have the 55 in canada

sorry this might be a stupid question:

chain bar length..is it a function of tree size or the persons height? Does a taller person need to use a longer bar?

sorry this might be a stupid question:

chain bar length..is it a function of tree size or the persons height? Does a taller person need to use a longer bar?

It could be both, if you don't like to bend over a bit, but mainly it is about tree size. From what you said, a 16" should do the trick nicely.

I would stay away from the heavy chunk of platic that the 290 (and the Husky 455) is, for such light work.

The Husky 55 sounds like a very good choise, but consider the 353 and MS270/280 as well.....

The Echo CS440 will feel like a feather compared to the others and has lots of grunt. And has a metal case. You can get brand new from Ebay for around $220. You would need to adjust the carb as most come too lean from the factory. Steve

I recent bought a husky 55 brand new from a dealer for general home use and firewood cutting.

I like it works great been cutting oak, poplar, ash, with it no problem.

It was made in brazil not Sweden though??.......but it seems ok so far.

Stew

buy what ever saw fits your hands the best and whatever you decide just make sure you feel good about your decision.I have a husky 51 and it spins its 20" bar nicely but you can't stop it with a 16" bar.if you only need a 16" to 18" bar a 141 husky does nice with one.

I have an 029super that I bought new in 2000. I keep a 16 inch bar on it and a 3/8 chain. It has seen hundreds upon hundreds of hours of cutting. It's a very dependable saw, and it's excellent for the smaller stuff like you are cutting. It has needed a new fuel line, but that's it. I also have an MS290 with a 20" bar and a .325 chain. The 029 performs better.

However, with that said, if I was making the decision for you, I would have you buy a stihl 440 and put a 20" inch bar on it (or anything up to 25"). That will cover your every need. You will never need another saw for anything that you decide to do (unless you decide to start dropping and bucking monster trees), and you'll know that you are set up with one of the best saws ever produced. You will spend a little more money initially, but it's very likely that it will be the last time you spend money for/on a chainsaw, because it's a superior saw.

Latest posts

Back