husky 55 still not running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua mason

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this thing is becoming a real pita. i think im going to replace the carb but wanted some opinions before i go and drop 50 some odd dollars for the carb. i put a new piston and ring in, new gaskets, new rubber boot for the intake, new rubber seal for the impulse pipe, new fuel line and filter, and i checked the tank vent, and i tore into the carb and everything looked fine. spark plug looks fine and the air filter is new. after all that after starting the saw it will idle, when gunned it may rev up for a minute, then boggs. after restarting it will idle but bogg right away when hitting the throttle. every so often it will rev up for a second or two then bogg and sometimes die depending on how quickly i release the throttle. not sure what would cause saw to rev sometimes and bogg other times. any takers on this. all opinions and info is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
josh

Last edited:
If your piston looks good, it's not a concern. It could be your coil as well. I just had a bad coil on a 084 tonight. Especially once warmed up, it wouldn't transition from idle to high. Sometimes it would stumble and then rev. Sometimes it wouldn't rev at all even at WOT. I swapped the coil with one from another saw and the problem's gone. Instant throttle response and runs perfectly. I'd hate to see you buy a carb and it not fix it.

is there a way to check the coil. what could have happened to the coil between the last time it ran until after the rebuild, your looking at a month and a half.

Josh if im not mistaken u can use a tach to help daig this concern. If u know someone with one intall it and watch the tach as it revs if the coil is breaking down the needle on the tach will jump eraticly. if it stays smooth with the rev chances are its not the coil. Make sure u have the carb adjusted correcly. Good luck let us know how it turns out

Try richening the low jet (counter clockwise) and see if that helps you. A lean condition on the low side will cause it to bog when you apply the throttle. I'd start there before going after ignition problems. Differant temperature days will make it rev some days and bog others. If that fixes it, you might have to readjust the idle speed and high speed jet also.

Last edited:
Try richening the low jet (counter clockwise) and see if that helps you. A lean condition on the low side will cause it to bog when you apply the throttle. I'd start there before going after ignition problems. Differant temperature days will make it rev some days and bog others. If that fixes it, you might have to readjust the idle speed and high speed jet also.

+1. Carbs can be very "touchy".

Good call Steve

Steve has a good point. I watched the tach change by 500RPM within 2 weeks due to air changes. The temp dropped about 10 degrees but the humidity dropped considerably with much higher barometric pressure.

ive went as far as one and a half turn out not all at once but a little at a time. should i have to go out any further than that.

you shouldn't have to go farther then that normally but if your inlet needle lever height is off, the needle settings would change

The up and down idling and inconsistent throttle response sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Maybe a rolled lip in a seal upon reassembly? It's easy to to and not know it's happened.

Are you sure when you reinstall your base gasket,its was on"the right side" to get the cyl pulse hole aligned with the gasket ?You can check with a bit of oil in the pulse hole if it is sucked in and out.Your inlet lever has to be flush.Going over 1 1/8 @1 1/4 out on the L means something wrong.Hose not kinked between case and tank ?Your H not set too lean ?

the gasket that goes between the cyl. and the crankcase were different thicknesses, would that play a factor or is that just from a diff in manufactures, the old one was an aftermarket. the impulse pipe and seal are good and everything is lined up. im tore between it being the carb or a leaking seal now. may take it to the shop and have them do a pressure and vac test. confusing, confusing.

Back