Husky 55 Will Not Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin+08

Justin+08

ArboristSite Lurker
Okay now it's running for real!! The highest compression reading I have had was about 130. I did remove the limiters, as soon as I did I was able to get it started. I am a little nervous about the carb adjustment, right now I have the low out about 1 &1/8 turn and the high out about the same. It seems okay but I do not have the time right this second to take it out and really run it. The other thing is that bar oil seems to be leaking out the bar nuts, weird, possibly the oil channel is clogged, the chain seems to be plenty oily though.

Justin+08

Justin+08

ArboristSite Lurker
No worries man, I didn't want you to think I was being a jerk, you never know who you are going to meet on these forums so I always seem to be on the defensive. Sorry for calling you out, this thing put me in a sour mood for about a week now! So glad I stuck with it though, it is so satisfying to have fixed this thing up myself!! In the end you were absolutely correct, the second I took those limiters off it started right up. I don't doubt that I would have never got the thing started and eventually given up if it weren't for that. I would have still assumed some sort of air leak but never spent the money on the vac tester. I tell ya what though, now I have the itch and as soon as the season is over I am going to be doing some modding! I couldn't find that video you were talking about, the one to help me adjust the carb. Is it on here? I tried to search here and the net but came up empty. Now I am just paranoid that I will run this thing too lean and burn it up since I am not all that familiar with adjusting these little carbs. Thanks again for the help, in the end it was probably your post that saved me!

Axlerod74

Axlerod74

ArboristSite Guru
You should be pretty safe at 1 & 1\8 out on both needles in terms of running lean. On the oil........the 55 puts out alot of oil and it goes everywhere if you are not running it in wood. I suspect that is what had it smoking at the beginning. Out of the wood, it slings oil on the side of the muffler too and begins smoking pretty quick.

On the H screw, you richen the mix as you turn counter clockwise. Without a tach, you should hear a slight burble at wide open throttle. IF it sounds like it is going to fly to pieces, it is probably a little lean. A heavy burble is usually a little rich.

On most of the 55s I have fooled with, 1 turn out was on the edge of lean, 1 & 1\4 out was a little rich and 1 & 1\8 was about right. Every saw is different though and small adjustments are the key. Good luck.

Last edited: