Husky Buys McColluch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that Husqvarna bought McCulloch USA (via Jenn Feng). Husky already owned McCulloch out side the US, now I gather the entire McCulloch name is under one ownership.

Here is the link:

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/company_press_release_details.aspx?_newsid=5534

Wonder what that means for McCulloch and the future?

I always liked McCulloch. My first chainsaw was a McCulloch 610. Could it be that the next McCulloch would be a house painted yellow? I'd buy one!

Thanks,
Bill
After the McCulloch Family sold out, the service end of it went down the crapper. In 1981, my Father bought the McCulloch, Pro Mac 700, that I have now, only ran long enough to use 1/2 cup of gas through, and quit. He couldn't even get the Saw to even offer at all. He took it back to where he bought it, and they sent it back to the Factory. The Factory, tried to blame Dad, that he ran the Saw with out gas/mix, and ran it with just straight gas, and they were not going to fix it. So Dad told them to send the saw back, and he would take them to Court.
He called the sales man that sold Dad the Saw, and the Salesman said he would handle it. He called the Factory, being that they were dealing with a Canadian Tire store franchise, across Canada, if they didn't fix this saw, and fix it right, it would be the last McCulloch Chain Saw that would be sold from their Canadian franchise.
They fixed the Saw, and you can tell that they were rough with it. The foam on the handle, had chunks taken out of it. It was obvious, that they were mad at Dad, and didn't care, at all about how they treated their customers.
After it was sold again, service was always a problem.
Hopefully who ever Buys McCulloch, will provide good service again. Bruce.

I read that Husqvarna bought McCulloch USA (via Jenn Feng). Husky already owned McCulloch out side the US, now I gather the entire McCulloch name is under one ownership.

Here is the link:

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/company_press_release_details.aspx?_newsid=5534

Wonder what that means for McCulloch and the future?

I always liked McCulloch. My first chainsaw was a McCulloch 610. Could it be that the next McCulloch would be a house painted yellow? I'd buy one!

Thanks,
Bill
The first Chain Saw was a Homelite XL-76. I hated that thing. It was clumsy and cumbersome to use. Then I bought a real Chain Saw. It was the McCulloch Pro Mac 60, that I bought from my Great Uncle. He bought it new in 1973. Great running, well balanced, good handling saw all around. I also had a Mini Mac 35. After my Dad died, I inherited the Pro Mac 700,
Mac 10-10 Automatic, originally owned by my Great Uncle, he bought new in 1968, sold it to Dad in 1974, as well as a Mini Mac 30. Well as you can see below, My list sort have grew, in 3 weeks. The Mac 1-10, I bought at a small engine repair shop. It was in the scrap heap. a few minor repairs, and it's another good saw. My wife just hates eBay. I have purchased 4 more through eBay. Some will be just part saws.
Bruce.

I took this picture last weekend, 18 old Mccullochs running that day including the SP125C, 740, and 1-85 all fit with 32" bars. New McCulloch's would be good but I like to have a garage full of the old ones.

Mark
Mark.
I was admiring you list of Chain Saws, and I noticed you have a Strunk Sur Cut. Boy did that ever bring back memories. The first Chain Saw my Dad owned was a Strunk. I can't remember what Model it was, for I was 6 or 7 at the time. It was either a Custom Pro, or a Big Timber Pro. All I can remember that it had a 30" bar.
In 1973, Dad threw it away, because the diaphragms in the carburetor were shot. He couldn't get parts for it any more. I wish he would have kept that saw. He said a lot of times, that he wished he would have kept it too.
Thanks for the memories. Bruce.

I only hope somebody buys homelite.... but wish i 1 hand and p!ss in the other.

This whole deal has very little to do with McCulloch saws. It's really about buying the manufacturing facility, and the thing we are most likely to see down the road are 4 stroke lawnmower/snowblower engines. (Consumer product, not commercial) The old business model of all the mower companies buying their engines from 3 or 4 engine companies is on it's way out. MTD is already doing this. Briggs really alienated a lot of companies when they bought Snapper/Simplicity/Ferris. A supplier now became a competitor. Tecumseh is not in great shape, and many companies were scrambling for snow engines last year. Everything is changing and the big players that are left are starting to feel that they need to be able to produce their own engines. It's already like that with 2 strokes, so why not?

Yup it's a sad story. Kinda like what happened to the dodge charger right before they went out of production the last time.

I agree with these guys.. I think the key phrase in the article is "...gives the Husqvarna group greater access to the Asian market..." I doubt that Husqvarna was very concerned with buying what has become a cheap chinese brand. The purchase of McCulloch might have been purely incidental.

Latest posts

Back