Husky Decission

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushbow

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK - I have a substantial Gift Card from Lowes That has to be SPENT @ LOWES. Meaning, I cannot take the cash and use it anywhere else. I am a homeowner and camp owner that will be cutting some fire wood and do a little woods cleanup on our property but probably use a saw very little compared to many of you.

Keep in mind Lowes only carries Husky so Stihl is not and option.

My question(s):

1. I am looking at the 350 and the 455(price point difference of less than 30.00) so I am leaning towards the 455. I figure I may as well get the most I can now and never buy again. DO you all agree? Looks like the 455 comes with a 20" bar which seems like more than I need? Should I change that to a 16" right away or run it as is? I know these are relative questions to how and how much it will be used so everyone may have a different answer. I am looking for a general direction. Given the perameters what would most of you recomend for a weekend use saw and what modifications, if any, to that saw.

Thank you - Bob Urban

My first post

OK - I have a substantial Gift Card from Lowes That has to be SPENT @ LOWES. Meaning, I cannot take the cash and use it anywhere else. I am a homeowner and camp owner that will be cutting some fire wood and do a little woods cleanup on our property but probably use a saw very little compared to many of you.

Keep in mind Lowes only carries Husky so Stihl is not and option.

My question(s):

1. I am looking at the 350 and the 455(price point difference of less than 30.00) so I am leaning towards the 455. I figure I may as well get the most I can now and never buy again. DO you all agree? Looks like the 455 comes with a 20" bar which seems like more than I need? Should I change that to a 16" right away or run it as is? I know these are relative questions to how and how much it will be used so everyone may have a different answer. I am looking for a general direction. Given the perameters what would most of you recomend for a weekend use saw and what modifications, if any, to that saw.

Thank you - Bob Urban

My first post

If you want the most, as you stated, I think the 350 gives you the most. Better design, less weight, and if a 16 bar is all you need, the 350 is good for that size. The 455 may have slightly more power, but not worth the package. Good luck Bob and welcome aboard.

Its worth $30 more. And I never use less than a 20" bar, don't short yourself, shorter bars mean bending over further.:cry:

I have heard that although Lowes does not stock the better saws, they will order you one. I have never asked them but it may be worth checking into.

Go for the 350. A while back I was looking at the same question. So I did some research and used key words like 455+junk. You'd be surprised how much information comes up on it. The main complaints where that the 455 throws the chain to easy and it's weight is to much for the amount of power you actually get. The 350 on the other hand. Even the professionals on this site seem to love them for the price, reliability, and weight. Do what you like but all in all the 350 is proven and people that own them love them. Good luck.

If you want the most, as you stated, I think the 350 gives you the most. Better design, less weight, and if a 16 bar is all you need, the 350 is good for that size. The 455 may have slightly more power, but not worth the package. Good luck Bob and welcome aboard.

Exactly!!!

Grab a 350 before they are all gone!! :)

The replacement is the 450, with less power and more weight.

Our Lowe's has the 359's too. How close is it to the price you are looking at?
Might be worth adding a extra buck or two for a magnesium case in my homeowner opinion.

The 350 was $349 and the 359 is $429 here. I would add the extra.

OK - I have a substantial Gift Card from Lowes That has to be SPENT @ LOWES. Thank you - Bob Urban

My first post

Hey Bob,

sell that Lowe's gift card at a slight discount to one of your buddies at work, your neighbor, or ?? Personally, I try to avoid Lowe's at ALL COSTS!

Now, after you have cash in hand, go down to your Dolmar Dealer and buy a 5100S - best saw for the money. IF you insist on going to Lowe's, get the 350.

Josh

Lots of good information and I appreciate it all. I am pretty certain that I will go with the 350 from all that I have heard so here is another question?

I pulled this quote from another thread - Will someone help me with this? And should I do it before I run the saw or after a break-in period? Thanks

"the only issue with the 350 is it's set lean as hell from the factory.richen it up and keep the chain adjust and sharp.great saw."

Hey Bob,

sell that Lowe's gift card at a slight discount to one of your buddies at work, your neighbor, or ?? Personally, I try to avoid Lowe's at ALL COSTS!

Now, after you have cash in hand, go down to your Dolmar Dealer and buy a 5100S - best saw for the money. IF you insist on going to Lowe's, get the 350.

Josh

he could also put it on ebay and get almost face value for it...

Our Lowe's has the 359's too. How close is it to the price you are looking at?
Might be worth adding a extra buck or two for a magnesium case in my homeowner opinion.

Same here, around $420. That would be the best saw to get from Lowes.....the 359......

I agree with some of the others...if a 350 will work for you then by all means buy it. If you are really wanting a different model lowes doesn't sell I'd sell the card on ebay or on your local craigslist at a slight discount like mentioned above. Then go off to your local husky, dolmar, or stihl dealer and buy the saw you want.

Go for the 350 but if at all possible buy the 359 I gaurtantee you will see the extra money you spent in the performace of the 359. Good luck, either way you win!

i said that .

Lots of good information and I appreciate it all. I am pretty certain that I will go with the 350 from all that I have heard so here is another question?

I pulled this quote from another thread - Will someone help me with this? And should I do it before I run the saw or after a break-in period? Thanks

"the only issue with the 350 is it's set lean as hell from the factory.richen it up and keep the chain adjust and sharp.great saw."

and it's true. take it to the dealer and play dumb.tell them it was a gift from your great granny and you would have never bought it from lowe's.assure him you will buy all your parts and accessories from him in the future and follow through there on the spot.grab a couple extra chains and some bar oil and mix.i'm sure they will adjust it for you then.

you can run it the way it is set but if you keep cutting with a dull chain you will be sorry.

Back