husky -n- stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckusjason

Reaction score
Alright so i'm itching to buy a small companion ~ 10lb saw to go with my MS 660, to aid in light trimming work.

My question to the group is "which one"? I know there is a lot of similarity - I just find it odd to find so many husky for sale on craigslist and no stihl saws (in my area of course). This seems like a warning sign to me.

The two i'm comparing are the ms 250 and the husky 445.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks-

How much cutting are you going to do? The 660 is a monster and yes, a small saw would be a good addition. Either of those will work fine. The 445 can probably be purchased for considerably less money as I see new (refurbs) ones for sale on Craigslist all the time for less than $300. If money isn't an issue, you may want to look at the Stihl MS261 or Husky 346 as both of those are very high quality saws but considerably more money than what you are considering.

Of those two, I prefer the MS250. But the 445 isn't bad. Depends on what you like better.

Since you are coming from a 660, I think you should consider a 50cc saw as a better fit. Something like a 346xp would be worth considering if you are willing to accept a little more weight.

If you want to stay with stihl then go with the MS250 I have had mine for 5+years and had no problems. That said, there are slightly larger saws that may fit as a smaller saw that the 660 and still be light and powerful to do most mid range work, The 261 looks like a good one.
Nick

Here is my take on this post.I have not ran a 261 so I am unable to make a very informed decision on this saw. However, I own a 445 and I am fully able to make a definitive statement.My 445 is well balanced with a 16BC,325,(058) has near zero vibration, starts on first pull (warm) and is very cheap to run.All this for under $300.It does have more plastic than I care for butt this is not a professional piece of equipment.The only issue that I have had with it was it was running to lean.I remedied this with a tool from the dealer, but that is another story. For the monies it is well worth the price, Ken

Yeah the 346 xp looks pretty sexy. Have any of you used the version w/the trio brake?

You guys are right - the 50 cc displacement is a better ambient level saw ~ ms 261 or 346 xp.

I'll go handle them tomorrow- for looks/safety - i'm leaning toward the husky 346 xp e-tech trio brake.

A good used 026 or 260 pro can be had for the same price as a new 250, open up the muffler and re tune and you will not regret it. I also looked at a 346xp before I picked up the 260 and just didn't like the fit and finish but to each his own.
Photo0027-1.jpg

What do you have for dealer support in your area. A reputable dealer is a big part of the new saw decision. Do you like your Stihl dealer? How close is the Husky dealer compared to the Stihl dealer and home? Have you considered the Dolmar chainsaw? Just about all Dolmars are built like pro saws and reasonably priced.

Latest posts

Back