husky rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on the Husky Rancher saw? is it any good or should I move up a notch? I'm just a home owner with land and a passion. Any advice would be great.

This a great site!

Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on the Husky Rancher saw? is it any good or should I move up a notch? I'm just a home owner with land and a passion. Any advice would be great.

This a great site!

First, Welcome to the site.

Second, Husky has made many models of the Rancher over time, do you have a specific one in mind?

Take Care

if you are talking the 455 rancher, good saw, used mine a lot, but may on this site do not like it, because it is not a "pro" saw.
and the 55 rancher is a good saw as well

I think I went through your same dilemma last year when I took on the responsibility of upkeep on my parents' 80 acres of farm & forest.

Look at the specs for the Husky 455 Rancher and the Stihl MS290 FarmBoss and you will find they are very similar with their prices being in the same ballpark. Now, after you handle those two in the store, put your hands around the Sthil MS361. It's about a pound less yet has more cc's and hp than either either of the first two mentioned.

I've been using the MS290 for eight months and am pleased with it, but there are times when I wish it had more power for larger/tougher wood and weighed less during the long cutting sessions. The MS361 is a very popular choice in the "if I had only one firewood saw" category.

Also, if you make it to a full service Husqvarna dealer (not a big box store), pick up the 346XP and the 372XP to get more examples of what good power for a given weight is like. I'm not necessarily saying that a pro saw is for your needs or budget, but I think it's good to know what good power-to-weight feels and looks like before you purchase.

Sorry,

I should have given more information, I was talking about the Rancher 455, 55.5cc.

455 is a good saw. ive cut alot of wood with mine. ive cut some pretty rediculous trees up with it. stuff i should have used a 80 cc saw to cut. ive never had amy issues with mine and ive used her hard. heres a 4'9" across oak i got 3 big load out of, all with my 455.

mainly the people who say its a pos think everyone needs a $700 saw. now $700 dollar saws are great but not everyone needs or desires one. the 455 will work great for you for years and years.

Last edited:
well ive had my 455 rancher for a year in a couple of weeks. i love it, i would prefer a bigger saw but for now i can't afford one. but i must say, it has cut amazingly well for the money. I have lost count as to how many cord of wood i have cut but its coming up on 200 or so so far. and now im starting to cut 3 cord a day from the stump to the customer. i have milled several 20+ pine logs into slabs, a bit slow but it did it without complaints.
i hope to get some debt paid off so i can afford a new bigger saw.
but i urge anyone who doesn't need a monster saw to buy this saw, parts ain't too expensive and its quite reliable. just don't get the one with the green gas cap.
well thats my 2 Cents worth

It will be fine for 99.5% of general homeowner type users. It will also be fine for 0.5% of AS users. Not a popular saw here, but it will be good for your use I'm sure and as long as you never use a MS361 or PS6400 you'll probably be very very happy with it too.

i cut with one a buddy of mine has.

i thought it was pretty good.i like my 55R better but i like the 455 better than a lot of saws i have used.

A decent saw, but unless you find a great sale the Dolmar 5100 gives you a bit more saw for the same $$. Just did this same choice with my boy. Dolmar $399 at dealer, 455 at TSC $399. He went with the 5100 after running mine. You might consider an Efco or a used Stihl too. In the long run I think you would be happy with your original choice. I had an old 50 (similar class) that worked well for me for years. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sorry,

I should have given more information, I was talking about the Rancher 455, 55.5cc.

hey douglas. i am one of those guys that take a mean verbal dump on the 455.

by my count alone, at the company i work for, we have gone through 6 455's. i think the boss saw the price and liked what he saw and bought a bunch of them.

none of them oil and none of them like to start after being used.

as we speak 5 of those 455's are sitting on the shop floor in various states of undress. the 6th you ask? well that saw is being used by the guy who cuts the least amount of wood on the crew. and his bar is toasted with a completely gray chain ( sure sign of no oil.)

all i can tell you about the saw is that it can not handle full time go and that it is way under powered for its weight.

do you know how big of a pain it is to be standing in the tree trying to get that saw started so you can make a cut?

personally i wouldnt touch that saw, even if someone else buys it for you.

there are much better options out there. i can promise you that. even if you dont want to spend a few dollars more, you should.

where in mass are you? if you are close to me maybe we can get together and i'll show you how a few good saws run.

good luck with it.

Hey guys,

This a great site!

If I'm hijacking your thread douglas just say so and I will shut up.

I too have been eyeballing a 455 rancher. My 55 went mammaries skyward after 7 or 8 years of hard firewood cutting. I say hard years because I could have been better about maintaining it and most of that cutting was out of bulldozed piles of dirty and tangled trees.

I'm looking for an all round use saw for firewood. Most of my cutting will be 12 to 24 Ash, Locust, Osage, and Elm (if I have to.) I am cleaning out a long neglected tree line and creek bed for a friend. Dead stands, blow downs and some trees that are storm damaged to the point of needing dropped. I know multiple saws would make things easier but for now I am willing to work around the limits of one saw. I have used the search and I have learned a lot. Thanks guys!

I started looking at the 455 rancher mainly because I was very happy with the 55. And because I have the 18' bars and chains from the 55 that I think could be used on the new 455. I have read in other threads, and this one as well members have suggested stepping up from the 455. I have looked into the 346xp and I like what I see and for not much more money. Folks here seem to really like them. However these same folks seem to be using the 346xp as a liming saw. One guy used a motorcycle analogy comparing saws to bikes, calling the 346xp a GXR 1100 (sport bike/ crotch rocket) Using that type of analogy I want a the kawasaki KLR 650 of chainsaws. It does no one thing extremly well but it does every thing you ask of it competently for years and years with basic maintenance. Would I be abusing a 346xp cutting 8 to 10 cords a year felling and bucking 18 and occasionally 24'" trees with a 18" bar.

Is there a better choice in this price range?

This is the Hy-jack portion of my post so its off topic ( sorry douglas) I just bought a 395xp that I had planed on using exclusively for milling. Well the 395xp hasn't even been delivered yet and my 55 died. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: So I'm shopping again. The 395 could be used for dropping and bucking the bigger stuff but for now I'm stuck with a 36" bar! Right now I cant afford more bars and chains for the 395, and another new saw. So its one or the other, another bar or 2 plus chains for the 395xp. Or the chance to buy another saw. I would rather not use the 395 as a do it all saw.

2 weeks on here and I got CAD:greenchainsaw: Thanks guys!

no problem Huskymac,

good info! As always, as you think your going to post a simple question, all the great feedback make making a decision even harder.Thanks for that!! ha ha

i use my 346xp for everything.

for ripping,felling,cutting large logs.even some demolition work around the house.it's much faster than the recip saw.

i would spend the extra money.i'd also look at the 353,the 359,and the dolmar 5100.

All saws have limits to one extent or another.Everyone likes the idea of more power and believe me more power is great. You sound kinda like me not in it for profession just firewood and enjoyment of providing wood for whatever reason. I havnt ran any 346XPs because at my husky dealer its about $250 more than a 455 rancher so that puts it out of my price range.That is my major drawback on that comparison. Now if yor worried about upping the power Husky also sells a 460 and a 570 model saw that is not in the professional series. Those are 60cc and 67.5ccs repectively. They are not the biggest by any means but not the priciest either. Never cut with a sthil either so I have no opinion on that brand. Just remember that all of the replies are just opinions and suggestions. YOU are the one that will have to handle the saws. If you have a good dealer they might have one you can try onsite.Myexperiance with the 455 has been nothing but good. My brother owns one and it handles very well.It also comes with a 3/8 pitch chain that I prefer.346XP doesnt.

455 Rancher vs. others

I've been using my 455 for about four months now - not extremely hard, just every-other weekend cutting. I bought it 3 years old used.

I had a safety class where I got to try the 346xp (instructor's saw) and use my own 455.

Gotta say that my 455 started on the second pull EVERY time and the 346 needed a LOT of coaxing to get started after a while. Maybe it was a dirty air filter, maybe the carb needed to be balanced.

But I wasn't overly impressed with power-to-weight. In fact, I felt that my saw pulled MUCH better through similar diameter trees.

Now I'll admit that my saw has seen probably 0.1% of the use of the instructor's saw but he should also have had that much more maintenance, too - seeing how they were harping on the quick once-over after every sawing day.

I haven't had any issues with non-oiling either, FWIW.

I have a 455, and I have been very pleased with the saw. I recently bought a 357XP as my main firewood saw for the little stuff, so the 455 seems to just sit on the shelf a lot lately, but its not because its not a good saw. I had concidered selling off the 455, but in all honesty I feel better keeping it around. It has never failed me, always starts no matter what the weather is, and has been more reliable than my 372.
If you are going to be a moderate wood cutter for your family, then I think you will be happy with a 455.I run a 20 inch bar on mine, and it has done everything that I have ever asked of it. When I run in the bigger wood, then true the 372 comes out, but in all honesty I would rather drag the 455 around all day than the 372.
For the price that it commands in the local stores, both big box and local dealers, you get a good saw for the money.

but in all honesty I would rather drag the 455 around all day than the 372..

wow.........

in the chainsaw world we/i live in, would this statement here be considered to be something along the lines of "coming out the closet" in the gay community?

lol

wow.........

in the chainsaw world we/i live in, would this statement here be considered to be something along the lines of "coming out the closet" in the gay community?

lol

Talking about the weight issue! A day of cutting just with the 372 leaves the arms a bit stretched out. A day with the 455, not even tired by dinner time. Now that I have the 357XP, I have the best of both worlds. Power and less weight.

Latest posts

Back