Husky vs Dolmar??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53trb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all
First post
I am looking for a bigger saw, I cut wood for personal heating. I somehow run into down trees that are 2 feet and larger diameter.

I have been using a Stihl 026 with a 16" bar and cut on both sides of the tree, gets it done but takes alot more time.

I have found two saws and am trying to choose.

Dolmar 116si with a 20" bar, 3 chains, and case $375.
Husky 372XPG with a 28" bar, 1 extra chain $400.

I will use this saw year round and I have 6 trees down now that need to be cut up. I am looking at about 600 feet of tree with a diameter of 20" to 30"

I think I know the answer (now that I wrote it out) but which saw is better suited?
Which saw is easier to get parts?
Which saw will last longer?
Can I get a case that will cover a 28" bar?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

Todd

My 372 takes care of the majority of my wood cutting. Many parts/service people around me, too. Dolmar's a good saw, and I'll be getting the 5100 if the "boss" approves :dizzy: .

On the 372, if you're going to go 28" on the bar, make sure the chain is skip-tooth. But if you're dealing mostly with hardwood the skip chain will dull more quickly, so maybe a 24" non-skip. I've felled and bucked about 150,000 feet of redwood between last season and this with the 28/skip setup. I'd also get a 20" bar and non-skip chain for it for bucking up the smaller firewood. You'll probably run that 3/4 of the time.

On the 372, make sure all the screws are well tightened and consider some Loc-Tite on them. I've lost a couple of screws that vibrated out, esp the one that secures the brake and upper/front starter cowling.

On the Dolmar, I'd be thinking more about the 7900 or the next one down if you're going to set it alongside the 372 by comparison. That's a nice saw. If you have ready access to parts, Dolmar would be pretty tempting in the power/weight ratio.

Yep for $25 dollar difference, get the 372xp. It's the bigger saw in the 70cc catagory and I'd run it with a 20" for hardwood firewood. I'm a Dolmar guy but in this case for that money I'd get the Huskie. The 116 and 116si is a good saw but an older design and it's 60cc versus 72cc. No brain for that money. Make sure the 372 is in good shape though. They tend to get used hard. :cheers:

Thanks to everyone that supplied feedback. I really appreciate it, I will write in when I get the saw.

Thanks again.
Todd

What exactly is a "skip chain" and how is it different than other chains? If I'm cutting hardwood what's my best chain choice?

What exactly is a "skip chain" and how is it different than other chains? If I'm cutting hardwood what's my best chain choice?

Normal chain has a drive link, then a toothed link, then a drive link, then a toothed link.
Skip-tooth has a toothed link then two drive links, then a toothed link. It skips a tooth, so you have fewer toothed links. This allows the use of longer bars/chains without bogging the engine down (too many teeth would grab too much wood at once) and it keeps the cutting channel clear of chips. It's commonly used out west here on large softwood because we have to have long bars 28", 32", 36", etc to fell and buck redwood, fir, etc.

For hardwood I like a non-skip, "SC" - semi-chisel as it does not dull as fast as a full chisel chain. You give up a slight amount of cutting speed, but you more than gain in having the sharpen a lot less. Many hardwoods have nasty and/or gritty bark that tends to dull chains, and if skidded they pick up dirt and rocks that dull chains.

Last edited:
Hi again
Soooo! guy with the Husky turned into a greedy a$$. When I heard back from him he said that he was getting alot of calls and the price was going up. I never heard back from him.
Found out the Dolmar shouldn't be used with a bar larger than 20" per the dealer near me.
I just won a Stihl 044 with a 24" bar.
I am a happy man, Stihl is what I know I have an 026 with a 16" bar.

I am sure I will be asking questions when I get my new saw.

;)

Back