husky warrenties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by glens
I'm not saying I like the regs or think they're even necessary in this application.  That doesn't change the fact that they're currently in place and have teeth.  In fact, their very existence would be enough to deter me from opening a small engine shop.

Who?&nbsp; The dealer/repair shop.&nbsp; I may be wrong in this case, though, if all he did was work on the oiler.&nbsp; See a previous <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=96251" target="_blank">post</a> of mine on the subject.

Glen
Good job Glens, now Rocky has you on ignore!

Mike, I've got several ribbons on that particular badge already.

Brian has a relatively short fuse, but he's got a short grudge-span.

Glen

When I purchased my 346xp last year the Manual stated commerical use warranty was 1 year. I had the same part break with 2 weeks on my saw. There's a lot of sleazy saw dealers out there.I would find another shop to have your saw serviced at. The warranty coverage is not subjective at a good dealer.

Nothing.

Went to my husqvarna dealer, and as i thought he said 3moths pro, 2 year private.
He pointed out that this was rekomended......
You just maby found a nice person, thay are rare but do exist.

Mange

A few years back we were porting 056 Stihls for use in veneer cutting Stihl got wind of it and told us that they had a court ruling that stated, If a dealer modifies a product in any way without the express direction of the factory, he in essence has created a new product. This was before the EPA and all of the other powers that be were as strong as they are now. We were told that at that point we were responsible for any liability problems with that product [ such as injuries]. Now don't jump on my case I am just telling what happened. I too think the people in power could be doing a lot more for the enviroment in other areas.

At the last Stihl school I went to they brought up the FACT that by installing any bar/chain other than factory equipment you are manufacturing a new product and assume all liability. There are fire companies that want depth control devices on the MS-460 Rescue that we CANNOT legally provide. Sad what lawyers have done to this country.

Paul, I'm sure you'll find it's the same thing with automobiles.&nbsp; They're certified for sale/use as a complete package and any changes beyond the scope of factory options drop <i>all</i> certifications.&nbsp; You can do it, but it would cost way to much to get it through the certification program.

How about ordering the <i>factory</i> adjustable depth limiter for that saw, as seen <a href="http://uk.catalog.stihl.com/katalog/datenblatt/11282549990/0/default.htm">here</a>?

Glen

If you purchase a Husqvarna, pro model or not, under a business name your warranty is 90 days. If you buy a Husqvarna, pro model or not, under a personal name your warranty is 2 years. Any saw purchased after 01-01-95 under any name has a lifetime warranty on the ignition. For any warranty you must provide original proof of purchase.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
glens, That is NOT available in the U.S. ! We have been after Stihl to bring it here but no luck yet. There are accessories and tools in other countries that you can't get here.

thanks grande dog thats what i thought to. but they where saying if its a pro modle it's only 3 months. i was like thats not what it says in the book, so he looked in the book sure enough. so he calls becuase he says they /husky wont pay, he calls, comes back and says this time, but wont happen again.

David,

Can you post a scan of the overall <i>saw</i> warranty?&nbsp; That one you previously posted is very plainly titled <b>FEDERAL EMISSION CONTROL WARRANTY</b> and the first paragraph reads (emphasis mine):<blockquote>The EPA (The US Environmental Protection Agency),
Environment Canada and Husqvarna Forest &amp; Garden are
pleased to explain the <b><i>emissions control system warranty</i></b> on
your 2001 and later small nonroad engine.&nbsp; In U.S.&nbsp; and
Canada, new small nonroad engines must be designed, built
and equipped to meet the federal stringent anti-smog
standards.&nbsp; Husqvarna Forest &amp; Garden <b><i>must warrant the
emission control system</i></b> on your small nonroad engine for the
period of time listed below provided there has been no abuse,
neglect or improper maintenance of your unit.&nbsp; Your emmission [sic]
control system <b><i>includes Parts such as the carburetor and the
ignition system</i></b>.&nbsp; Where a warrantable condition exists,
Husqvarna Forest &amp; Garden will <b><i>repair your small nonroad
engine</i></b> at no cost to you.&nbsp; Expenses covered under warranty
include diagnosis, parts and labor.</blockquote>Again, I submit that warranty does not cover oilers, clutches, brakes, starters, etc.&nbsp; Only emissions-related items.&nbsp; I can't find any warranty information about the whole unit in general, which is what your recent problem would fall under.

Glen

glen would if i could but when i bought the saw they didn't give me one. said one goes to husky and one for them but no thrid copy:confused: i know when i bought my ms460 i got one but not for my 372 or the 350 i had. allways found that to be a little fishy

Grande,

Thanks.&nbsp; I guess maybe I'm making too fine a point.

That's still the "Federal Emission Control Warranty" on the <i>engine</i>.&nbsp; It covers <i>only</i> (at bottom right-hand corner):<dl><dt><b>EMISSION CONTROL WARRANTY PARTS LIST</b></dt><dd>1 Carburetor and internal parts</dd><dd>2 Intake pipe, airfilter holder and carburetor bolts.</dd><dd>3 Airfilter and fuelfilter covered up to maintenance schedule.</dd><dd><dl><dt>4 Ignition System</dt><dd>1 Spark Plug, covered up to maintenance schedule</dd><dd>2 Ignition Module</dd></dl></dd></dl>Is there a printed document covering the <i>entire <b>implement</b></i>, not just the emissions-related parts of its internal combustion engine as this one does?

Thanks again,
Glen

Well, the guy at the counter and probably whomever he's talking to on the phone up the chain doesn't recognize the legaleze they're looking at.&nbsp; Note specifically, first, the title of the document.&nbsp; That immediately limits the scope of everything you'll be reading.&nbsp; Nothing they'll be talking about deals with anything other than their obligation to maintain engine emission compliance.&nbsp; Note the continual appearance of the phrase (all or in part) "small non-road engine" in the document.&nbsp; That's pertinent to the Clean Air Act.&nbsp; You'll find everything (and more) than you want/need under the "Small Spark-Ignition Engines (lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, etc.)" link at the EPA's <a href="http://www.epa.gov/otaq/nonroad.htm">Nonroad Engines, Equipment, and Vehicles</a> web page.

I don't know specifically why they need to provide the two-year transferable warranty and Stihl evidently does not.&nbsp; I understand that older, (now) non-compliant models can remain in the lineup for a time so long as there is enough "clean" representation throughout the family.&nbsp; Eventually, though, the venerable 55 will be gone, gone, gone; as well certain others.&nbsp; Maybe Stihl doesn't have to provide the extended (transferable!) warranty on emission-related components because the bulk of the equipment is not imported, and maybe even that (if so) is a temporary situation for them.

It's fairly obvious that Stihl offers a warranty on the whole unit with differing lengths dependent upon use.&nbsp; Perhaps this is more marketeering by Husky (and Dolmar?) by making their 2-year (emissions) warranty appear to be (or maybe their staff honestly "mistakes" it so) covering the entire device when in actuality it does not.&nbsp; Again, the specific parts covered by that warranty are enumerated.&nbsp; That document does not cover any parts not listed in it.

I guess that's most of why I want to determine what the actual <i>chainsaw</i> warranty is as opposed to the engine component of it.

Glen

Following the link I described within the link I gave earlier, the second link under "Consumer Information" is a 58KB PDF file which contains in part:<blockquote><font color="green">What is an emission warranty?</font>&nbsp; Manufacturers are
required by Federal law to provide emission warranty
coverage for small spark-ignition engines.&nbsp; Basically, this
warranty covers repair of emission control related parts
that are determined to be defective during the first two
years of engine use.&nbsp; Emission control related parts
include 1) any part whose primary purpose is to control
emissions, such as a catalytic converter, and 2) any part
that has an effect on emissions, such as a carburetor.</blockquote>Sound familiar?

Glen

i didn't relize this was going to be so contraversal;) i was just curiuos what the actual warrenty is. the way it stands now no one really knows:D what i would really like to know is why husky doesn't give out the warrenty slip to the purchaser. or if they do someone has to have it. i know i got one with my ms460.

Latest posts

Back