Husky with a hairline crack, see pic!!! patching suggesitons?!?!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher80

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok guys, i fired the saw up for the first time, worked great. cut a small cherry down cus this full chisel blade is fantastic. anyways, put the saw down, came back to it 10 minutes later and there was bar and chain oil all over the bottom. i thought it was a gasket or seal, but nope.

it seems somehow the chain adjuster screw got bent and must have torqued hard against the metal crankcase housing and cracked it slightly (see pic) . i cleaned and prepped the slice, drained the bar oil, and used my air compressor to blow out the cubby where the chain tensioner screw/spike is.
when blowing into the crack, you can see all the extra oil flying out of the oil cap end on the other side, as i unscrewed it to relieve pressure.
if i knew the metal the crankcase housing was made of i would just weld it i guess? for a quick fix the only thing i could think of was to clean it all out with alcohol, then get one of those double-needle hard epoxys and make a pool of it to seal it entirely. i know that stuff will work, ive used it to patch my atc's gas tank temporarily. then i could lay a thin strip of sheet metal and glue that flat in the groove so the screw spike that did the damage cant rub against the epoxy when sliding back and forth to adjust blade...

any suggestions? i have aluminum welding stick to use with a mini oxygen/propane torch, but my guess is a i need an arc welder to patch her up no? :dizzy:

also on side note. i noticed the saw was running great and then filled with new gas and 5 minutes into the tank it was acting like it was out of gas (high idle, bogging when hitting throttle)... when i opened the gas cap it made that 'freshness seal' whoosh noise. where on a husqvarna 61 is the gas vent breather tube??? cant find it

thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
ok guys, i fired the saw up for the first time, worked great. cut a small cherry down cus this full chisel blade is fantastic. anyways, put the saw down, came back to it 10 minutes later and there was bar and chain oil all over the bottom. i thought it was a gasket or seal, but nope.

it seems somehow the chain adjuster screw got bent and must have torqued hard against the metal crankcase housing and cracked it slightly (see pic) . i cleaned and prepped the slice, drained the bar oil, and used my air compressor to blow out the cubby where the chain tensioner screw/spike is.
when blowing into the crack, you can see all the extra oil flying out of the oil cap end on the other side, as i unscrewed it to relieve pressure.
if i knew the metal the crankcase housing was made of i would just weld it i guess? for a quick fix the only thing i could think of was to clean it all out with alcohol, then get one of those double-needle hard epoxys and make a pool of it to seal it entirely. i know that stuff will work, ive used it to patch my atc's gas tank temporarily. then i could lay a thin strip of sheet metal and glue that flat in the groove so the screw spike that did the damage cant rub against the epoxy when sliding back and forth to adjust blade...

any suggestions? i have aluminum welding stick to use with a mini oxygen/propane torch, but my guess is a i need an arc welder to patch her up no? :dizzy:

also on side note. i noticed the saw was running great and then filled with new gas and 5 minutes into the tank it was acting like it was out of gas (high idle, bogging when hitting throttle)... when i opened the gas cap it made that 'freshness seal' whoosh noise. where on a husqvarna 61 is the gas vent breather tube??? cant find it

thanks in advance guys

I wonder if gas tank sealer would work to seal that oil tank? As for the tank vent, it might be in the tank itself. I had a plugged vent on my 395 that was exactly like you described. Everytime I removed the cap there was a whooosh. I simply removed the rubber vent check valve from the nylon tube and all has been well.

Ouch! I inherited a 288 like that.. I considered a number of options.. in the end, I just replaced the case. Found a decent one for 35 bucks. My theory was that the previous owner had a bad habit of torquing down the bar nuts too much. Enough cycles and the case cracked. It's just a theory, though. Out of curiousity, which model is it?

Oops, I see, it's a 61.... same case as a 266, 268, 272.

Last edited:
it seems somehow the chain adjuster screw got bent and must have torqued hard against the metal crankcase housing and cracked it slightly (see pic) .

Looks like bar got torqued down at some point in time without the chain adjuster pin being properly aligned.

Maybe use J-B Weld?

My bet is that's exactly what happened.

Yep, J-B weld or maybe this would be a good spot to use Seal All.

Follow the instructions on the J-B-Weld and say a prayer! Let us know.

There is an ole fella down the road from me that has quite a supply of old saw parts, it the J-B fails let me know and I'll ask the ole goat if he has a case for your saw.

I'm no authority, but that might be magnesium, which I hear can catch fire. I have patched a motorcycle gas tank with JB weld and considered it a temporary fix, only to find myself still using it years later.

wow, some quick replies, thanks guys. i think i will try the old jb weld. ill dap it on the crack at first, then let her dry over night, then ill fill it up nicely and make a thin bed of jb weld seal it up good. .

any other suggestions? i will check into the gas tank breather thing soon. im sure ill figure out where it is .

thanks for all the help so far.

where the heck is the gas tank breather on this thing??? i just looked and can only see the rubber gas line when i took the top cover off. . anyone know what cover i need to take off to see it and unclog it? i thought i read somewhere that to work on the tank , you need to split the crankcase in half and then when done you have to seal it again... is this true? thanks! heres a couple more pics to give you an idea on what mine looks like ...

If it's like my 268XP, the gas tank vent comes in from the right side of the tank at the top. It is a long plastic tube, and can be pushed out from the inside of the tank. Mine is threaded, but just pushes in place, doesn't thread in place. If you work the two parts of the saw apart just a bit against the AV mounts, there is just enough room to get the vent in and out through the gap between the bottom of the airbox and top of the tank.....Cliff

PS: I'd bead blast that area, clean/degrease it, and repair it with Marine Tex. It is a commercial grade epoxy we use here in the shop to seal up carburetor bottom plugs permanently. It will hold back fuel, oil, etc and not get soft of fall off.

i undid the 3 back anti vib allen screws to lift the upper airbox up about an inch to see the top of the tank to find the breather hose, and i gotta be honest, i didnt see anything but the rubber fuel hose.

i even just dumped all my gas, and peered in the tank, but saw nothing. . .

this is weird. ..

If the fix doesn't work, don't sweat it. PM me and I'm sure I can find a decent case for you. It might be from a 200 series saw, but if you pay shipping, we'll call it even.

That's a good saw, glad to see you're sticking with it.

I had the exact same issue, in the exact location on my 61 Rancher. When I got the saw out of my buddies shop's basement, at first I couldn't figure out why it would have been down there, since it ran just fine. Then I topped the oil tank off and it was very obvious, as my bench was covered in bar oil. I really don't have much to add to what others have already said, except that the repair works. I cleaned all the paint from the area, ruffed it up with a Dremel burr, inserted a fine piece of fiberglass mat for reinforcement and used JB Weld. You have to keep it relatively thin so it does not interrupt with the tensioner. I waited until the JB was almost completely set, installed the tensioner and ran it back and forth a few times so it was a perfect fit as it smoothed out any high points. Good luck.

thanks andre , ill keep you guys posted. i just put a bed of jb weld on it, smoothed it out and lettin her dry. . .
the big issue is this gas vent tube... i wish they made the ones that were in the gas caps! those are easy. anyone else know how this thing vents air into the tank? i see no vent 'tube'

Last edited:
Back