Husq 372XP vs. Stihl MS460 Mag? What should be done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert J

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Out of curiousity what should be done to a 372XP to compete with a MS460? My buddy is ranting and raving about his magnum and says he will out cut any husqvarna lol...what can I do to my 372 to squash him? I know it can be done as ive seen via search and youtube. Saw guru's your advice is much appreciated!!! Thanks again all for a great forum!

Not too many (if any) "home" remedies to make a 372 out pull a 460.
Send it out for port work is about all I can think of.
Changing bar size, chain type, rim size and muffler modding are some "home" remedies to try.

What size wood r u cutting? Hard or soft wood? Most people will tell the 372 will be faster till u get at least above 20" or so. Then say above 24" or so the 460 may pull away. I have a 372 that is very fast that was ported by mastermind. I am considering porting my 460 to compare to the 372.

You're not comparing apples to apples....Put a 25"bar and full comp on both saws in larger wood and you're in trouble...buy a bigger husky...Because after he has figured out that you have done some mods he's gonna start modifying his 460....your fighting a losing battle..:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
If it's a cookie cutting contest, then get the 372 ported. Simple as that. But for work purposes, I'd take the 372 any day because it's lighter, uses less fuel, and the trees around here aren't big enough to where the 460 would pull away. The bigger question is who can put more wood on the ground in an 8-hour day; the better-skilled, stronger operator will win every time.

Last edited:
There u have it if anyone can tell u what a 372 is capable of it is terry landrum. I found a nice used non x torque 372 that needs to find its way to his shop for port work.

this one is mine
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/10aUUxoPl18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In addition to the port work already mentioned, I would recommend throwing on a loop of Square Chisel.
This alone could give you another 10-15% speed increase, Maybe more...

Here's a couple of videos of a Stihl 460 Round/Square Comparison:

Round:Stihl MS460 round ground stihl full chisel chain - YouTube
Square:Stihl MS460 with square Filed oregon chisel chain - YouTube

I have a friend that wanted to race his stock 460 VS. my stock 372.
I had on a loop of square chisel full comp at the time vs his round full comp.
It was a dead heat, virtually neck to neck on every cut. He thought he was going to absolutely destroy me....Not!
I said. "Hey Man!, Isn't that new 460 of yours 76cc?" :msp_tongue:
Good times.

Maybe that is why I have 2 372's and keep a 460 for backup:msp_biggrin:. I like the 372's much more but I trust the 460 more:laugh:

Maybe but the 460 will be running longer with all its bolts in place. 372's don't hold up stock.

you must have never made a living with a stihl.all saws and all brands loose nuts ,bolts,screws clips,and caps when worked long and hard day after day.

Latest posts

Back