Husquavarna 141 information and reliability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walleye34

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at making a upgrade for a firewood saw from a poulan to a decently priced (140$) Husqvarna 141 with a 16 inch bar and chain. The main questions I have are; 1- would it be a good deal and or upgrade, 2- are these saws cheap to rebuild?, 3- what should I look for as good or great compression?.

I like my 142 (pretty much the same saw). It's a great saw, made by Poulan, but I think my wife paid $150 for it new. So I would not pay that for it.

If you are on a real tight budget, find a 42cc or 46cc Poulan on Craig's list for less than $50. Learn to tune it right so it doesn't burn up. Rebuilding them when fuel lines or carb kits go bad costs less than $20. Can pull an 18" bar but pulls a 16" much better. Best thing is, if you do mess it up, you can always find another cheap one and reuse the bar. I love these as the ultimate budget saw.

After talking to the seller he came down 40$ almost immediately. Thinking of offering 75$ and seeing where it goes.

After talking to the seller he came down 40$ almost immediately. Thinking of offering 75$ and seeing where it goes.
If it is in nice shape that is getting more reasonable. Look to see if it is an "LE" or "e" version with the green fuel cap. If so it has a cat muffler. It is easy and cheap to put an earlier non-cat 141 muffler and heat shield on it, but then that's additional time/money to spend on it. Also, if it has the cat muffler, look at the front edge of the top cover for melting, a common problem on cat equipped saws of all types.

[QUOTE="walleye34, post: 6095477, member: 144

The husqvarna 41 and 141 are saws made by poulan real similar to poulan 2700,2750,2900 and some craftsman saws. Not sure if it is much of an upgrade. This saw works well for fencing projects and limbing. It would be a long way from what I would consider a good fire wood saw. The husky 55,350, 455 or what ever 5 series saw or stihl 026, 260, 290 would be better mid class saw. $140 would be to high for me around or under $100 would seem fair 50 would be a pretty good deal. These saw are fairly cheap to work on because no one will pay what it costs to fix one so they get parted out. the cylinder an d piston price make it kind of a throw away saw they are expensive for the price of the saw but I did see an aftermarket piston for around $10. On compression I do not know you would have to run the saw, it is not real impressive, but it iss functional.

I had not run my 142 is a while and decided to give it a little exercise today after this thread. It has a muffler mod but it's one of two saws that I've never taken the engine apart on, so it is not my fastest 40cc saw, but for a stock engine it really runs great. It fired up in a couple of pulls, and only needed a minor mixture tweak due to the temperature change since I ran it last.

Back