Husquvarna bar oil weep hole leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdmsurfguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Still new to the forum so please redirect me if I'm reposting a common question. I recently bought an older Husky 272xp that leaks bar oil from the weep bar oiling hole. I've now got a nice oil stain in my garage. I've looked around and it seems like a lot of people have the same issue but the only fix is all new parts. I'd rather not do this. Is this problem most of these saws have and I'm going to have to live with it, or is there an easy fix I can do myself? Thanks

Here's the model

imageuploadedbytapatalk1412653047-020356-jpg.372544

Just drain the majority of bar oil from the saw. New parts is the best plan.

Help me understand where exactly the oil is coming from - the oiler outlet hole or the vent hole?

I believe that's the oil tank vent...I'm a stihl guy so somebody will need to confirm that.

Picture is worth a thousand...you know the rest.
Yep, that's the vent. Behind it there should be a plastic tube that curves upwards. You should be able to see it if you look in through the oil cap. The tube curves up to be in air, not oil. If it's not there, that could be your culprit.

Are you using the stainless bar plate between the case and your bar? The 268/272 plate has a sot to transfer the oil from the vent up into the oiler gallery.

If you're bringing your saw in to a heated or warmer area at the end of the day, pressure is going to build and try and vent out that hole so perhaps you're getting some blow off that way.

I'd say to just keep the oil level low at the end of the day so it's below the vent line and see if that changes things.

Try storing it on the flywheel side? If it still weeps oil, "burp" the tank by opening and closing the cap before storing it.

I think this is it do I want the inside or outside one, or both? If I applied this would the chain sprocket need any spacer or anything. Also, what's the advantage of running this on the saw?

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...late-Inside-61-266-272-288-2101-501444401.axd

The point is to keep the chain aligned if it becomes loose and not dig into the case. That part may or may not be standard, check your IPL. Generally there is one for the bar stud side and the clutch cover side. The saw will run with or without it, I have and use saws with and without it.

Back